PDA

View Full Version : AGh , I keep on stalling in my air plane when i'm in dogfights! Help!

Tuskegee1989
06-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Does anyone know how to deal with stalling? I put my flaps onto combat and everytime when I turn in a dogfight , i stall then I Get shot down.

VW-IceFire
06-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Well then stop stalling http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Some people think that stalling is a function of their speed. Yes thats true but its only partly true. Its largely to do with lift...the tighter the turn you make the less lift the wing generate until one or both stall.

You need to learn how to be more careful on the stick...don't pull back so hard. Almost no plane can fully pull back on the stick in all situations...a few can do it some of the time but nearly all will sometimes stall out by pulling back completely.

Take it easy...temper your turns and learn to coordinate the turn with a bit of rudder.

Combat flaps can help a bit but to be honest I normally do not deploy combat flaps at all unless I really have a need for them. So practice and try not using the flaps at all. They aren't needed....they can give you a slight edge but right now you need to get better turning without them. Then once you do get a bit better learn to incorporate combat flaps at the key moments where you need it.

Xiolablu3
06-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Like Icefire says, you need to learn about energy management.

crucislancer
06-13-2008, 04:02 PM
And, every plane has different stall characteristics. Trying to handle a Tempest like a Spitfire and you are going to stall very quickly. Some time in the Quick Mission Builder can do wonders.

Bearcat99
06-13-2008, 08:51 PM
again... the Nugget's Guide.

BSS_Vidar
06-13-2008, 11:23 PM
Putting my CFI hat on. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

A cardinal rule to remember about stalling an airplane is:

You can stall an airplane at any airspeed, at any altitude, and at any atitude. example - Even going straight down at 200 kts.

A stall occures when you have exceeded what is called the "criticle-angle-of-attack." You can do this with both wings or just one. More than likely, you're stalling when you get into a turn fight. If so, learning to coordinate your turns will help you stop stalling in a turn fight. This means keeping your plane from skidding (sliding outside the turn radious)or slipping(falling inside the turn radious)in a coordinated turn path.

The only way to determine if you are in "coordinated flight" during a turn is to watch the ball and keep it between the two virticle lines. You'll have to practice this outside the dogfighting arena to get the feel and mussle memory of coordinated fight because the last thing you'll be able to look at is the inclonomiter (aka: the ball) while in a fight. Just a rule of thumb to fly coordinated flight. "Step on the ball" EXAMPLE: If the Ball slides to the right of the virticle lines, step on the right rudder until it is back inside the lines, and vise-a-versa.

Aerodynamic explanation to what is going on:
The reason most gamers stall in a dogfight while turning-n-burning is when you add aileron for lift on one wing, you are taking lift away from the other. Deflecting an aileron down genorates more lift; Therfore, generates MORE drag as a by-product of crating lift. In addition, when you drop that aileron on the lifting side, you ALSO induce a steeper angel-of-attack on that side which also accelorates getting to the "critcle-angle-of-attack" on the lifting side. Hence, two bad things cause you to snap roll into the lifting side.

Adding rudder in the turn helps keep that upper wing from dumping on you. Concentrate on learning Coordinated Flight, and you'll enjoy the game a lot more.

S!