PDA

View Full Version : This should be in IL-2............



SeaNorris
04-07-2005, 09:37 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/SeaNorris/leopold.jpg

Leopold railway gun used in the siege of Sevastopol. I think it would be a really good object. So I was wondering what you guys think.....

MEGILE
04-07-2005, 09:41 AM
Only if I can kill it with .50 cals http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

SeaNorris
04-07-2005, 09:57 AM
They only damage it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

JG5_Emil
04-07-2005, 12:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeaNorris:
They only damage it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wrong!

You just have to bounce your .50 rounds of the ground to hit the 'soft underbelly'

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

LLv34_Stafroty
04-07-2005, 01:01 PM
heh Emil http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif good one

lbhskier37
04-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Can you imagine the AA they probably set up around those things? It would be suicide to get even near the area in real life I'm sure.

Shakthamac
04-07-2005, 07:17 PM
you said they used that gun in the siege to sevastopol. I havent checked it out thoroughly, but the isnt the mortar gun on the tracked chassis that we are getting in 4.0 the Thor super mortar? If it is, that was used in the siege also. The reason why I ask is that I have read a short story written by Werner Baumbacg that outlines the Luftwaffe attacks on sevastopol. they way he wrote it, it sounded almost like another stalingrad type situation. only no encirclement.

by the way, is that a screenshot from commandos?

GerritJ9
04-08-2005, 02:22 AM
Don't forget the "Dora" which was also used during the Sevastopol siege.

IAFS_Painter
04-08-2005, 07:02 AM
Well - this is in the development section ...

http://www.pacific-fighters.com/ss/ground_object_001_s.jpg

AFIR, something similar went on rails?

The190Flyer
04-08-2005, 07:39 AM
Looks like it in the development page, id say thats a rail gun anyway thats displayed. Be pretty cool to see one of em fire while up in your plane, I would rather have a D-13 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

SeaNorris
04-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Nah, that looks to small..... Plus I think the gun was way bigger than that.

Yup i would like the Dora too...

han freak solo
04-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Bring it on!

I could bail out of a plane, my body landing deep in the barrel, then get launched back out high enough to intercept enemy bombers. Attacking with hand grenades of course!

Faster climb than a Me-163!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

GerritJ9
04-08-2005, 01:27 PM
"Dora" does NOT refer to a Focke-Wulf 190D, but to a HUGE railway gun........ and I mean HUGE!!!! Calibre was 800mm, and the gun was mounted on a chassis that required two parallel sets of railway tracks... roughly it was double the width of the Leopold chassis. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

SeaNorris
04-08-2005, 01:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GerritJ9:
"Dora" does NOT refer to a Focke-Wulf 190D, but to a HUGE railway gun........ and I mean HUGE!!!! Calibre was 800mm, and the gun was mounted on a chassis that required two parallel sets of railway tracks... roughly it was double the width of the Leopold chassis. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spot on. They would need to redo all the railways for it

SnapdLikeAMutha
04-08-2005, 02:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeaNorris:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/SeaNorris/leopold.jpg

Leopold railway gun used in the siege of Sevastopol. I think it would be a really good object. So I was wondering what you guys think..... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...almost as big as...

Schwere Gustav

Took 25 trainloads of equipment and a crew of 2000 (!) to set up. Had its own flight of Fi-156 to act as spotters and two batallions of light AAA for defence. ROF, at best - 0.001 round/sec. Range, 29 miles with HE or 23 miles with concrete piercing shells (capable of penetrating 264ft of reinforced concrete)

Fired 48 shells in action

SeaNorris
04-08-2005, 04:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SnapdLikeAMutha:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeaNorris:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/SeaNorris/leopold.jpg

Leopold railway gun used in the siege of Sevastopol. I think it would be a really good object. So I was wondering what you guys think..... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...almost as big as...

Schwere Gustav

Took 25 trainloads of equipment and a crew of 2000 (!) to set up. Had its own flight of Fi-156 to act as spotters and two batallions of light AAA for defence. ROF, at best - 0.001 round/sec. Range, 29 miles with HE or 23 miles with concrete piercing shells (capable of penetrating 264ft of reinforced concrete)

Fired 48 shells in action <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oleg, All three please http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SeaNorris
04-09-2005, 07:47 AM
Bumpski

TheVoodooPriest
04-09-2005, 10:07 AM
The 80 cm (32 inch) gun "Dora":

http://www.waffenhq.de/panzer/ww2_d_dora_06.JPG
The Dora

http://www.waffenhq.de/panzer/ww2_d_dora_05.JPG
Dora in firing position

http://www.waffenhq.de/panzer/ww2_d_dora_02.jpg
Propelling charge (left) and grenade (right) of the Dora

Jetbuff
04-09-2005, 05:39 PM
Whenever I see, read, hear about these monstrosities, my first thought is, "I'd like a taste of whatever the Germans were on when they thought up that one!" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Shakthamac
04-09-2005, 06:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheVoodooPriest:
The 80 cm (32 inch) gun "Dora":

http://www.waffenhq.de/panzer/ww2_d_dora_06.JPG
The Dora

http://www.waffenhq.de/panzer/ww2_d_dora_05.JPG
Dora in firing position

http://www.waffenhq.de/panzer/ww2_d_dora_02.jpg
Propelling charge (left) and grenade (right) of the Dora <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting pictures. Ive always wanted to see a man standing next to a .50 round, and now I've had my chance. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif No wonder the Allies won the war.

Seriously though, consider the size of that one gun. Hitler had drawn up sketches of future German battleships that would have a main battery of 32" guns. I can only imagine how big the ship would have to be to handle 4 twin turrets containing guns of that size. Only a pipe dream, but interesting nonetheless.

LEXX_Luthor
04-09-2005, 10:06 PM
You can use V~1 rocket launcher for this, and...it would work fairly similar (kinda)--only set V~1 targets no greater than the range of the gun. I think 30km is the minimum range of FB V~1...what was the max range of this...?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/SeaNorris/leopold.jpg

SeaNorris
04-10-2005, 03:37 AM
Far and far. Besides it ran on rails and i think the V1 bares no resemblance http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

SeaNorris
04-10-2005, 07:42 AM
I think not anyway.Why use the V1 (a pointless object anyway)

SeaNorris
04-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Anyone else?