PDA

View Full Version : Saitek 45 or 52 users, which is best?

aminx
11-08-2004, 03:07 AM
hi
Now that i have the sim running properly i need a good new top of the line joystick.As you all know there are no more sidewinders in production and the only serious maker left is Saitek.Please comment wether i should buy the 45 or 52 since the agent in Germany has both and i want to purchase 2 sticks now.
aminx

Loc-Dog6
11-08-2004, 03:31 AM
Personally I have a Sidewinder FF2 (which I will cherish and love forever) and a Saitek X45.

The major difference between the X45 and the X52 that I can see from their website is that the X52 has a new digital design, part metal and twist stick. It depends on what you prefer I guess.

I'd personally go back in time and wait for the X52 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

oFZo
11-08-2004, 03:48 AM
I considered an X52, but I severely dislike twisty sticks (I use one now but don´t use that axis).
I´ll probably get a CH throttle to work with my FFB stick instead (I love FFB).

aminx
11-08-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Loc-Dog6:
"Personally I have a Sidewinder FF2 (which I will cherish and love forever) and a Saitek X45."
hi,
We have 2 sidewinders, unfortunately one gave up last year.
Are you fully satisfied with your X45 ?When in gunsight mode is there no wobble and is it smooth as you follow the target?
aminx

Bearcat99
11-08-2004, 07:20 AM
I also use an X45 MSFFB2 combo along with CH pedals. I like the X45 better. I like it better because of the rudder rocker which I use for flaps. If you plan to get rudder pedals in the future then I suggest you get the X45... It will be a bit cheaper and with pedals you can band that rocker switch and use it for something else. I use my twist handle on the FFB2 for rudder trim. If you are not getting rudder pedals any time soon then I suggest you try to find an X52 and try it on your hand. If you dont mind a twist rudder then go for the X52. I wish they had put the rudder rocker and the twist handle on the X52.

malkuth
11-08-2004, 08:02 AM
I bought an x45 and never use it. I just cant seem to go from years of using an FF2 Sidewinder, To a Joystick Throttle config! Not including the Millions of buttons.

It takes work and time. Dont seem to have that right now.

Bearcat99
11-08-2004, 10:24 AM
If you have that stick then you really should give it a shot. It works great with the FFB2. I have a profile on our squad site. I dont use the stick part of the X45 to fly. I do that with the MSFFB. I only use the X45 stick as a button bay. My profile is set up to be run with rudder pedals so what you might want to do is just go into the HOTAS cinfiguration and set your rudder to the twist handle of the MS stick. I currently have rudder trim assigned to the twist handle.

BSR_RuGGBuTT
11-08-2004, 10:46 AM
While I like my X45 I was hoping that the X52 would have better centering. I have the springs on my X45 zip tied to release some of the spring pressure, it's a bit much. Anyhow, the X52 looks like it has the same springs and such as the X45, so I bought a CH Pro Throttle and a Flightstick. I have the CH Pedals too. I like the HOTAS setup as I came over from LOMAC. Once you get used to a HOTAS you won't ever wanna touch your keyboard again....... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

aminx
11-08-2004, 11:14 AM
CONT:

i dont have and cannot find an FF2 sidewinder,my son is using his and is very happy with it,mine packed up a year ago so where do i go from here.

SHOULD I ?
Purchase:the X45 and use it with no attachments and will i be fully satisfied which was my intention.
the CH joystick and pedals is superior there-fore go for that?
aminx

Loc-Dog6
11-08-2004, 02:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aminx:
hi,
Are you fully satisfied with your X45 ?When in gunsight mode is there no wobble and is it smooth as you follow the target?
aminx <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I don't even use the X45, just the throttle since I can't aim at all with the X45. I realized that Force Feedback is a must for me or I'm a sitting duck.

Bearcat99
11-08-2004, 03:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Loc-Dog6:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aminx:
hi,
aminx <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I don't even use the X45, just the throttle since I can't aim at all with the X45. I realized that Force Feedback is a must for me or I'm a sitting duck. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im feeling ya big time but keep in mind... and I tell anyoe who will listen this.... you dont have to use the X45 stick to fly. I use my MSFFB to fly with and I find it hard to adapt to not having FFB when flying. I tied it on a Logitech ...... not the same. If you have it hooked up and under or behind your desk then use it as a button bay. It works GREAT. I never have to touch my keyboard for most flight functions. There are a few things I left on the keyboard but basically everything from wing extend to arrester hook, radiator to droping wing tanks, fetaher ing the prop, seperate engine start all that is on my sticks. All the lights... landing gear.... manual,auto and tailwheel lock... all on the sticks. The profile on my squads site is not updated for PF but it is a decent place to start. Read the readme and install the two profiles... one for Saitek and one for MS.. just set up the keys in FB the right way and then you can modify it to your tase. B16Enk has a good one too.. bottom line.... if you have an X45 and a MSFFB2 and both sticks work you are missing out on the best of both worlds.... a great HOTAS with FFB. My X45 throttle is at the 10 Oclock position on my desk... the stick is at the 11 Oclock position, the MSFFB2 is at the 2 Oclock position and my pedals are in the middle. Like I said if you dont have pedals then you might want to take your rudder control and put it where you are most comfortable.. the rocker otr the twist.... If I had no pedals I think Id have rudder on the twist because I like using the X45 rudder rocker for my flaps. The rocker is on a 3 part band with the center being a null zone and the left and right being a press and release of the F & V keys.

aminx
11-08-2004, 09:51 PM
from what i understand the X45 wont solve my problem and i cant find a sidewinder ff2.What about the EVO FORCE stick by Saitek?
aminx

Loc-Dog6
11-11-2004, 02:39 AM
This might be too late, but I'm thinking about purchasing a Top Gun AfterBurner Force Feedback Joystick (http://europe.thrustmaster.com/products/d_prd.php?p=T62&fam=6). Been trying to find a substitute for the Sidewinder for a long time now, and the Top Gun looks to be the next best thing!

Anyone that have or has had experience with the Top Gun Force Feedback model that would care to comment on this?

aminx
11-11-2004, 07:34 AM
Yes i had one last year and i took it back to the store within 3-4 days,in short its a toy.Thrustmaster was a big name 10 years ago then i dont know what happened they just went down the drain.Below is how we stand today:

brand joystick

ch products professional

saitek for serious
players

MS sidewinder not available
(excellent)

thrustmaster far behind
(used to be very good)

Logitech a simple generic
(not precise)

pedals only CH

I am receiving soon the saitek evo force and X52
and will then consider next year the CH-products combo which will cost not less than 400 sfr here in Switzerland or over 300usd.
aminx

Loc-Dog6
11-12-2004, 05:00 AM
Yes i had one last year and i took it back to the store within 3-4 days,in short its a toy.Thrustmaster was a big name 10 years ago then i dont know what happened they just went down the drain.Below is how we stand today: <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, the only good thing to come out of Microsoft and they just had to pause production. This really really bugs me.

I'd buy 5 more Sidewinders if they were still in production, but I'll just have to wait and see if someone else produces one that is equivalent to the Sidewinder.

*Polishes his Sidewinder, which is still good as new after god knows.. 3-4 years!*