PDA

View Full Version : Joystick won't recentre

sc1949
07-09-2005, 11:33 PM
Hi, I have a thrustmaster afterburner II Joystick and throttle setup, and yesterday it started "dropping" the left wing on odd occasions. I read some posts after searching, and DLed some recalibration software that worked a bit (It was for Logitech), but it's still dropping that left wing. It's not my trim, as I have been testing all day. Does anyone know of a fix? I also opened it all up for cleaning, but it was good, and noticed its not the type with potentiometers, its USB, so not sure what you call this type now. Thanks for your trouble.

han freak solo
07-10-2005, 12:02 AM
Provided it is physically centered....

Go to...

Start menu

Settings

Control Panel

Game Controllers

Properties

Settings

Calibrate

And follow the instructions. Hopefully that is all you need!

sc1949
07-10-2005, 12:10 AM
Yes I've tried that, but XP doesn't let you recalibrate it. it shows as slightly off to one side. apparently directinput wont save yet, another MS wonder.

horseback
07-10-2005, 12:48 AM
It's not Microsoft's responsibility to provide software to calibrate your stick, it's the manufacturers'. Check the Thrustmaster website and see what they have for your stick, and/or look for one of Tully's posts. He has a number of links to joystick resources in his sig and one of them may tell you what you need to know.

cheers

horseback

sc1949
07-10-2005, 02:11 AM
Yes I've got the latest Thrustmapper software from manufacturer, it used to let you calibrate under 98, but not XP, that option is missing. DXTweak2 from logitech will try to calibrate it, but until MS modifies DirectInput, XP wont save it (thats from them), thanks anyway.

han freak solo
07-10-2005, 07:29 AM
Hmmm. Try Community Help, SC.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=frm&s=400102&f=49310655

roybaty
07-10-2005, 08:28 AM
Not pots? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

sc1949
07-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by roybaty:
Not pots? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

No, it's not fitted with the pots I remember in my old CH joystick, or the MS Sidewinder for that matter, just these small (approx 7/16th x 1/8th inch) on 2 axes, all the others work fine, it's just the "X" axis one thats pulling slightly to the left. One of the recalibration programs shows how it's polling, all others stay steady, but the "X" axis keeps moving. just thought someone may have had similar experience, but I can buy new replacement for $89 AUD, or if I knew what plug was on throttle connection, (it's not USB, but plugs into joystick), I could get another joystick with more BUTTONS (Goood). It looks similar to keyboard/mouse fittings, so maybe could get a USB converter. Have to check. Thanks roybaty, han freak solo, and horseback for your help.

WTE_Warg
07-11-2005, 03:42 AM
G'day sc1949, you also from Oz ?

I've got a "Thrustmaster Afterburner Forcefeedback" with a similar problem. Within a few months of purchase the twist rudder doesn't seem to centre correctly. Keeps drifting to the left and throws off my shooting. Gather its just wear and tear, as it was in constant use. Thankfully it has a rudder cradle on the throttle, which I'm still trying to get used to. Understand where your coming from about configuring it. I have XP and it allows little scope to do anything. Not sure whether taking it apart will fix it or stuff it, but I'll probably just save my pennies, look around. Those X52 thingy's look nice, but I'll first see what the various computer aces recommend.

Goodluck mate.

sc1949
07-11-2005, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by WTE_Warg:
G'day sc1949, you also from Oz ?

I've got a "Thrustmaster Afterburner Forcefeedback" with a similar problem. Within a few months of purchase the twist rudder doesn't seem to centre correctly. Keeps drifting to the left and throws off my shooting. Gather its just wear and tear, as it was in constant use. Thankfully it has a rudder cradle on the throttle, which I'm still trying to get used to. Understand where your coming from about configuring it. I have XP and it allows little scope to do anything. Not sure whether taking it apart will fix it or stuff it, but I'll probably just save my pennies, look around. Those X52 thingy's look nice, but I'll first see what the various computer aces recommend.

Goodluck mate.

Yes, I'm near Brisbane. Sometimes that switch (to change rudder from twtst to rocker, I've noticed it wil stick a bit. make sure it's all the way to one side). I'm trying to fly using pedals from my wheel as ailerons or twist as ailerons, pedals as rudder, but it's BLOODY hopeless, although I've started liking the pedals for rudder bit, but can't get used to losing my ailerons, Looking to see what to do, do you know what name they give that type of fitting that joins throttle to joystick? maybe could convert throttle straight to USB, and just get another stick!

WTE_Warg
07-12-2005, 06:36 AM
Hi sc1949,

Also live in Brissy. For me, was a problem in the twist rudder mode, as it is wayward and sometimes sticks to one side. Does'nt recenter, even with the spring on. Confirmed using outside externals and looking at the rudder. I presently use the X & Y as pitch and roll. The cradle rocker on the throttle for yaw. Is working fine and I'm gradually getting used to using the rudder cradle. Actually am starting to see benefits in combat when skidding to throw off or make shots. Guess rudder pedals in lieu of the craddle rocker would be the same. Just had too many years using the twisty. Can't help you with a name for the fitting your after as I've always had everything on the flightstick.

sc1949
07-18-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by WTE_Warg:
Hi sc1949,

Also live in Brissy. For me, was a problem in the twist rudder mode, as it is wayward and sometimes sticks to one side. Does'nt recenter, even with the spring on. Confirmed using outside externals and looking at the rudder. I presently use the X & Y as pitch and roll. The cradle rocker on the throttle for yaw. Is working fine and I'm gradually getting used to using the rudder cradle. Actually am starting to see benefits in combat when skidding to throw off or make shots. Guess rudder pedals in lieu of the craddle rocker would be the same. Just had too many years using the twisty. Can't help you with a name for the fitting your after as I've always had everything on the flightstick.

Sorry I've not got back to you mate, but my phone went down, Telstra fixed it today. Looking for a new joystick now, actually, saw a thrustmaster FF that looks same as Afterburner, might get that and try, as never tried FF sticks, I could always leave original stick on desk, so I'd still have throttle.

9th_Spitin
07-19-2005, 09:33 AM
Sorry to hear about the problems with your stick. I have a Saitek X-45 1 yr old and I was having issues when I would pull back on the stick (controlls jumpy), thank goodness I bought the $9 replacement warranty from Best Buy. I went in the store and they gave me a brand new one. The moral to the story is, if you use the stick alot and they offer you a warranty, BUY IT.

Arms1
07-19-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by 9th_Spitin:
Sorry to hear about the problems with your stick. I have a Saitek X-45 1 yr old and I was having issues when I would pull back on the stick (controlls jumpy), thank goodness I bought the $9 replacement warranty from Best Buy. I went in the store and they gave me a brand new one. The moral to the story is, if you use the stick alot and they offer you a warranty, BUY IT.

don't forget to tape the warrantee to the bottom of your stick so that you can find it if you need it!

Pzyber
07-19-2005, 02:24 PM
I got the same problem as you but i got an logitech extreme 3d pro. There is a little difference between my an´d your problem. My problem lays on the y axis instead of the x axis. When i dive and starting pull up it is almost impossible. It's easy to solve the problem, just unplug the joystick and plug it in again, then it works for 30 seconds and then i'm there again.

sc1949
07-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Just ordered a new Thrusty Force Feedback, hopefully that will fix my problem, Also 2Gb of OCZ CL2 memory will also help.