PDA

View Full Version : OT: Who plays ArmA?

VMF-214_HaVoK
06-20-2007, 02:48 PM
I just finally ordered it and it should be here Friday thanks to good ole newegg fast shipping. Nobody in my squad has it yet and I was looking for some people to comm up with and play. Judging from demo it looks like I will need a good bit of noobie help. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

S!

WhtBoy
06-20-2007, 03:08 PM
I bought it the day it was released here in the U.S. and I haven't played it once. It's killing me. I am reworking my cockpit so my entire rig in disabled right now, BUT, my new instrument panel complete with touch screen and TouchBuddy software will be running tonight if it kills me!!!

Regardless, it is the best game that has ever been. I know this because OFP used to be the greatest game that's ever been and ArmA has to be better or I wouldn't have bought it.

--Outlaw.

Capt.LoneRanger
06-20-2007, 03:58 PM
OFP was an awesome game.

ArmA is the same, just with more bugs. If you can live with that, the game is still very good, but it really is annoying and the odd copyprotection won't run on my system at all.

Wilburnator
06-20-2007, 04:01 PM
I have it, and several others in the 353rd have it, but I have yet to be able to play it for more than a couple of minutes before it crashes. I hope I can get it worked out because it looks so cool and I loved Operation Flashpoint.

Divine-Wind
06-20-2007, 04:03 PM
The good games are always buggered by, well, bugs. Many games with potential are snuffed out this way...

general_kalle
06-20-2007, 04:25 PM
new patch out for it,
check it out.
its pretty fun.
notice that you can aktually shoot AND kill Seagulls.
if you hit they will fall to the ground...neat

FliegerAas
06-20-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by general_kalle:
new patch out for it,
check it out.
its pretty fun.
notice that you can aktually shoot AND kill Seagulls.
if you hit they will fall to the ground...neat

Cool, I don't even hit enemy tanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif. Did the latest patch improve overall performance?

ElAurens
06-20-2007, 04:52 PM
The Blitzpigs have a small group that plays it.

It's the only FPS type title that I'll let on my hard drive. I'm generally the unit sniper.

The green helmets run, and they die tired.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

SeaFireLIV
06-20-2007, 05:17 PM
I`ve been messing about with the demo and even though it feels a bit weird, there`s a strange sense of reality about it. I like the way AI soldiers sort of stuck together and moved quite realistically. It`also the first FPS I have ever seen that uses TIR6DOF and it`s a strange experience after the `what I look at I shoot` thing we`re all used to. Now you have to remember to POINT your GUN at what you LOOK at too.

Very immersive and I`m certain i`ll get it.

NAFP_supah
06-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Played OFP quite a bit, did some modding for it. Played ArmA a bit ... never really got me hooked. I think real life flight is proving a way cooler toy. Still its a wonderfull game and knowing BIS any bugs will be ironed out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WOLFMondo
06-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Been playing it for months with a German version patched to English. Its good and 'realistic' but it has some serious flaws when it comes to multiplayer.

VMF-214_HaVoK
06-20-2007, 05:37 PM
I probably wont even touch single play actually so Im really concerned with how multiplayer runs. A lot of servers and players?

S!

neural_dream
06-20-2007, 06:01 PM
Havok I think you bought the wrong game. Are you sure it wasn't "wwiionline battleground europe" that you wanted?

ARMA multiplayer?!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

VMF-214_HaVoK
06-20-2007, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by neural_dream:
Havok I think you bought the wrong game. Are you sure it wasn't "wwiionline battleground europe" that you wanted?

ARMA multiplayer?!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Uuh...you lost me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

neural_dream
06-20-2007, 06:22 PM
ARMA isn't exactly supposed to be bought for multiplayer. If you wanted multiplayer you should have bought wwiionline. ARMA is a very good singleplayer game. It does have multiplayer but ...

Makabi-
06-20-2007, 06:27 PM
the only real good parts of ArmA Multiplayer are co-operative missions (rare but good) and Evolution missions (best with some buddies). if you were looking for an online-based game, ArmA wasn't your best choice.

Airmail109
06-20-2007, 07:15 PM
huh all the reviews i read, said ArmA was really fun and good online, if you got involved with the community! ive seen some great multiplayer vids on youtube, of clans and such. Doing helicopter insertions etc

of course the equivilnt to df servers, arnt that brilliant

VMF-214_HaVoK
06-20-2007, 07:58 PM
ARMA isn't exactly supposed to be bought for multiplayer. If you wanted multiplayer you should have bought wwiionline. ARMA is a very good singleplayer game. It does have multiplayer but ...

Umm ok. Almost all games are intended to be single player. I mean that is where most of the time building a game takes place. But for most of us here we only really care about multiplay. What you say is the same for IL-2 but many of us never even play single player. I much rather go up against human players or have them on my team.

S!

PS I want no part of WW2 online or any game were you pay a monthly fee for that matter.

neural_dream
06-20-2007, 08:11 PM
Reasonable opinion.

S!

inferno7312
06-20-2007, 08:20 PM
I have played for two months.
It is good game, becasue you can modify everything you want and it has a very big map.
However, you should stand a lot of stupid AI bugs, although they may be fixed in the next patch.

Korolov1986
06-20-2007, 08:27 PM
The biggest problem I have with ArmA is it takes a powerful workhorse to run it which may or may not be able to run it with any efficiency. It's also been very unstable for me - crashes constantly in many missions. My graphics card may just be too weak for it yet.

If Flashpoint is any indication, then they should have the bugs sorted out eventually.

ElAurens
06-20-2007, 09:05 PM
HaVoK, the multiplayer aspect of ArmA is it's strong point. Just like IL2 it is far better against real humans than the godlike, golden BB shooting AI.

Trust me.

waffen-79
06-20-2007, 09:08 PM
I have it but my 6800 can't handle it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

VMF-214_HaVoK
06-20-2007, 09:50 PM
My system specs:

Intel Core2Duo E6400
eVGA 7950GT 512MB PCIx
2GB Corsair XMS
Soundblaster XFI Extreme
Samsung 20" Widescreen LCD

Anyone with similar specs running this game? I know I probably will have abit of difficulty running 16:10 format.

S!

Maj_Death
06-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Wow, it's been a long time since I logged on here. But I play it. Single player is meh but online is pretty good. I like the evolution and berzerk missions. Some real CTI would be good too but that hasn't really taken off yet. I see it as basically OFP with modernized graphics. It got a few new bugs supposedely, (I have yet to find one) but none of them are game killing. I bought the sprocket version at 1.05, worked perfectly until I patched to 1.08, and then it never worked again. ****ing sprocket. So I went out and bought the US DVD version a couple of days ago to replace it. Thinking of which, don't buy from sprocket, they are scammers. Other than that ArmA is great.

Edit: I should have mentioned, it runs fine on my system at 1600x1000 with max AA. The other settings are mixed between normal and low. But truth be told the grass is the biggest FPS killer, setting terrain to very low (which still looks fine) doubles my fps over low (same as very low but with grass). System specs are as follows:

WinXP SP2, P4 3.0GHz, GF7900 256MB, 1GB RAM.

GAU-8
06-21-2007, 12:35 AM
ARMA is what replaced IL-2 for me.

sure do miss you guys online.

arma is "more of the same" of OFP. but here is the deal, it is NOT a "NEW" engine... it is still game engine, heavily tweaked. so ALL the bad things you did not like in OFP, are pretty much the same in ARMA. (jerky animations, "soldier.-go.-to.-143.-136.", hard time moving thru samll rooms, etc etc. AIMING is harder, and i dont mean by the game (nor do i mean by the traditional OFP "floating zone" when targeting. even with some minor configs done it still takes a second to really get the bead on someone. but practice helps.

viewdistances are now increased to 10,000 meters! not that you need it unless in the air.

multiplayer KICKS AYASS!

THE LATEST PATCH does pretty good justice. single player JUST SUCKS. do not even think "OFP" campaign. its as bad as ...or worse compared to ..the campaign everybody disliked by codemasters for OFP. it really sux.

but if you like being "general" playing in your own sandbox....mission making is sweet. just about every scenario/mission is at your fingertips. mods a plenty are really starting to shine thru as well.

get in a GOOD squad, using TS, and it cant be beat! its not perfect, but it is the best "i'm playing soldier" sim out on the market. really good fun.

it IS a system hog though. i had AMD 3800, and 6800 card, with 3 gig or RAM, and only some thing i could have above "very low" to "med" settings. depends on what you are doing. u have found out though that turning "AA" on to highest, helped me out! plays better than with it OFF! i still play with most setting on low/bery low. just makes me think of old OFP. so i dont mind it at all http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

(current specs are )
XP , very mild oc AMD 4000, nvidia 7600GS(@512 meg), 3 gig RAM

GAU-8
06-21-2007, 01:03 AM
and by the way, for those who dont know, TRACK-IR is supported in ARMA, not just for flight, but for soldier head movment too. seeing this inline increases the immersion quite well.

going up to a corner, in urban environment, your buddy in front of you leans out, takes a quick peak, leans towards you, then turns his head towards the group, talking on IN GAME comms the voice is lip synched to mouth movment. he orders "ammo check".. voice chat is proximity based (depending on channel used)....nearby, you hear enemy units..and they are close enough to HEAR YOU...carefull what you say.

it really sweet.

WOLFMondo
06-21-2007, 01:54 AM

ArmA is a multiplayer game, the scripting is designed for multiplayer but making a multiplayer map for it is kind of like for IL2 except you can have AI in any aspect of it. The trouble is it doesn't ship with many good multiplayer maps so people are building them and allot of them are ok but still in testing.

And like IL2, if you play on a full real server, it can be a little hard on the eyes and hard to navigate. Its very much a team game.

SeaFireLIV
06-21-2007, 05:01 AM
Is anyone thinking of doing, or maybe have done, some kind of offline dynamic Campaign for Arma, something like what DCG does for IL2?

Xiolablu3
06-21-2007, 06:07 AM
Opflashpoint had a massive Online following with thousands of mods.

I think Arma will be the same, but it doesnt run very well on my X800 Pro and Xp2500+

BrotherVoodoo
06-21-2007, 08:43 AM
There are still some bugs to work through but I have it and, I love it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif TIR is awesome in this game! The first FPS I have ever used with TIR.

Capt.LoneRanger
06-21-2007, 08:55 AM
The game doesn't run good on most PCs - this is due to programming bugs, though. It was explained in the forums, that the bugs and perfomance-issues are due to the copy protection, which was included after the game was ready for release and they didn't expect it to cause that many problems.
I honestly doubt that. Okay, performance-wise, this could be true, but the tuned OFP-graphics engine is rather buggy, not even daring to speak of the AI.

I played the original OFP a lot and also made some nice missions and modded quite a bit. I bought ArmA especially for playing it with my friends online, but you really have to ignore a lot of bugs.

Other than that, the game is fun and it fully support TrackIR - btw. Americas Army Ops does so, too, since the latest release http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

BrotherVoodoo
06-21-2007, 08:58 AM
Americas Army Ops does so, too, since the latest release

Really?!!! Sweet, looks like I will be re-installing AA again, thanks for the heads up on that. TIR is one of my "requirements" for gaming now, lol.

SeaFireLIV
06-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Didn`t know AA supports TIR!

VMF-214_HaVoK
06-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Well it arrived today and Im actually installing it right now. Anyone recommend a good server? Who wants to help ole Hav here become a killing machine?

S!

GAU-8
06-21-2007, 11:42 PM
BEER DRINKING ASSASSINS server us usually pretty good.

SeaFireLIV
06-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Just got it.

Ain`t no way I`m going on line yet. The controls have taken me an hour to configure and they still aren`t right. I`m glad there`s an offline training section cos it`s helping my set up. Can you believe there`s a control for `hold breath`?

I don`t think anyone should go online until they`ve got their keys figured out if you want a chance at survival and even shooting back.

What I`ve seen so far is nice. Running with my squad to my pick-up chopper looking left and right is actually a very realistic feeling.

`Run like a Bunny!`

BrotherVoodoo
06-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Ain`t no way I`m going on line yet

I know the feeling. I've been tuning mine in for a couple of weeks now. I plan to venture online for my first time this weekend. I'll be playing as RockStar, maybe I'll see some of you on. S!

HEre is the trailer for the game : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujS4wJ0RUcY

SeaFireLIV
06-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Well, after spending all day becoming accustomed to most of the keys (and solving some graphic texture, slowdown problems) I decided to venture online.

Went on one server where there were plenty of people, but I seemed to appear where none of them were.

Wandered about a bit, got run over by a marine on a motorcycle, got on a motorcycle, but couldn`t figure how to start or get off. Finally figured it out and raced around a bit. Got into a silly race with the other motorist. Watched a few jets and choppers fly overhead.

Still wandering about with my SAW when an M1A1 sidled up and stopped. taking this as a message, I jumped into the gun position. The guy signalled `S!` Which suprised me as it is a common IL2 online salute. I couldn`t respond cos I`d forgotten what my chat key was.

He drove us into the battle area and texted me to kill the stationery BMP stood ahead of us. Precious seconds ticked by as I fumbled about for the tank reload of the right shell and the fire button...

`KILL IT!` screamed the tanker, unaware that I was a noob from noob land.

Just in time I found the buttons and fired - BOOOM (actually the boom came seconds later after the explosion, realistically.

`WOOOHA!` Text the tanker.

Destroyed a Russian tank and a few hapless troops.

Then I took a ride with 3 other guys on a blackhawk after a long wait and went on a most immersive house to house search of the enemy. We were picked up by a huey? and went on another hunt for remaining enemy. The teamwork was great, especially once I`d figured out the chat.

Finally... came offline.

Very enjoyable indeed. TIR really helps, but the overall scary feeling of realism that means you MUST work together and take care really made the sim. Way better than Battlefield.

p.s. It`s real nice too how the grass flattens as you crawl over it. A small point, but surely a first.

Korolov1986
06-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
We were picked up by a huey?

More likely a MH-6. Small egg-shaped fuselage with seats on the side?

MEGILE
06-23-2007, 01:28 PM
I bought it and dld the demo.

The demo is a POS... and I don't wanna open the seal on the box because that screws my return chance.

VMF-214_HaVoK
06-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Well I spent a couple hours with it last night. Im still not sure what I am suppose to be doing half the time though. I spent most of my time driving around in a humvee in the middle of nowhere. One server I was in I could not operate anything until I made some rank and since it took me quite awhile before I even made corporal I figured flying what out of the question...haha.

I managed to smoke a few enemy grunts but feel I died more then I killed. Often when I got rubbed out I had no idea where it came from. Its a frustrating experience for someone who is used to to winning be sure. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif But even with the confusion and frustration I find myself compelled to load it up again and again. Good stuff!

Im really going to have to get on SimHq's teamspeak and hang with them for abit to learn how to properly play the game. With so many controls to learn it must be the Falcon 4 of ground war!

S!

SeaFireLIV
06-24-2007, 09:11 AM
Yea, it`s pretty taxing. Went on again today, but spent an hour being lost again and doing very little.

Still, it`s very relaistic. Just sneaking around deserted villages hearing bangs and explosions and seeing the odd helo fly over keeps you on your toes. One strangely realistic bit for me was when I crept about for 15 minutes seeing nothing but hearing fighting, then a T72 came right up and parked on the road beside me! I was crapping myself and called for help. The T-72 sat there for ages before a friendly came along and bazooked him.

Still it`s not really a sim as such in that flying a chopper I find easier than the battlefield series. You certainly don`t need to learn all the intricacies that you`d need in reality.

Then again if you had to learn the detail you`d have to make the game your life!

ElAurens
06-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Guys, you need to find a group and do your own missions, or have a group of you on TS and go into a server that way. Read the mission briefs too. (Where have I heard that before...lol!)

Seafire... I agree that the vehicles are not "simulation" quality, but the tactics, infantry weapons and movements, and engagements certainly are. NO "bunny hoppers" here, be sure.

Megile, the game in it's current state bares almost no resemblence to that crappy demo.

WOLFMondo
06-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
Well I spent a couple hours with it last night. Im still not sure what I am suppose to be doing half the time though. I spent most of my time driving around in a humvee in the middle of nowhere. One server I was in I could not operate anything until I made some rank and since it took me quite awhile before I even made corporal I figured flying what out of the question...haha.

That'll be the evolution game play mod. You need to stick around on the server to go up rank but the problem is if you leave the server and come back your back to rank ziltch. Waste of time unless your going to play all day!

VMF-214_HaVoK
06-24-2007, 01:32 PM
RGRT Mondo I realized that later in the day and I actually like the concept. I actually killed a T-72 last night with a rocket, from range too baby! First shot was low so luckily I brought two.

Few things that bug me though: The player movement is so clunky, if you know what I mean. And there is some serious performance issues. For example, I managed to get myself sent to jail for being an idiot last night and while I was standing there in a room with no windows and absolutely void of any real textures and what looked to be modeled in 1998 I found myself sitting at 30fps. My machine runs IL-2 at 1680x1050 with 4AA in perfect while in a coop with hundreds of AI at 60fps.(I run vert sync for TIR and to reduce tearing). I read that the devs blame the poor performance issues on the copyright protection but many think this is a poor excuse. I can remember playing OFP back in like 2001 smoothly with a 1.5GHz CPU, 512MB ram, and a 64MB GPU. I know the graphics have been improved but there are some serious issues.

I still find myself going back to the game again and again though. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

S!

HuninMunin
06-24-2007, 05:28 PM
For the chunky movement part:

Try to fiddle with the "floating zone" slider in the controlls menu.
Put it all the way to the left to look around like in normal ego-games.
I'm not shure wether that is what could help you but I've seen a lot of guys quit the game because they wouldn't know what this slider is for and just thinking "man this game feels odd".

GAU-8
06-24-2007, 10:47 PM
LSTAR..

open the box, patch up to the latest patch and go play!

the DEMO..suxxerz. its a hag thats been drinkin all night and wants to sleep with you, and you cant dump her off no where, cuz all yer buddies left for giggles.

where as full version patched, is princess http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SeaFireLIV
06-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by HuninMunin:
For the chunky movement part:

Try to fiddle with the "floating zone" slider in the controlls menu.
Put it all the way to the left to look around like in normal ego-games.
I'm not shure wether that is what could help you but I've seen a lot of guys quit the game because they wouldn't know what this slider is for and just thinking "man this game feels odd".

Thanx. that really does the trick.

HuninMunin
06-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Glad I could help.

To everyone seriously interested in the game I'd recommend this (http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?s=9533fe6ec95a7f14f1971d762ae1eaa6;a ct=ST;f=70;t=64956;st=0)
gem.

It makes the whole view engine a lot more fluid and realistic.
One of the few "must have" mods till now.

In edition to that you could try the FDF sounds mod - it doubles the immersion by replacing 90 % of the ingame sounds with a high quality, recorded palete.
Get it here. (http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?s=37be6657dbb0c054a95ae1b63911c3bd;a ct=ST;f=70;t=63596)