PDA

View Full Version : Is everyone's skycolor that dark blue higher up?

theDutchman1962
02-10-2006, 06:04 AM
It just doesn't look very real to me?
http://home.hetnet.nl/~m.messemaker/grab0000.jpg

russ.nl
02-10-2006, 08:19 AM
ja, als je nog hoger gaat zie je ook sterren! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
groetjes

Beirut
02-10-2006, 08:57 AM
I get that right at the start of a flight but it goes away after a second or two.

ATI 9800 Pro Cat 4.11, if it matters.

theDutchman1962
02-10-2006, 08:58 AM
OK,bedankt,heb deze vraag wel eens eerder gesteld,want kan me herinneren dat met m,n ATI kaart de kleur blauw soms wisselde tussen licht en donkerblauw,heb nu weer Nvidia,vond dat lichte blauw toch natuurlijker,nou ja..

Treetop64
02-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by theDutchman1962:
OK,bedankt,heb deze vraag wel eens eerder gesteld,want kan me herinneren dat met m,n ATI kaart de kleur blauw soms wisselde tussen licht en donkerblauw,heb nu weer Nvidia,vond dat lichte blauw toch natuurlijker,nou ja..

English in this forum, please.

There's nothing wrong with your display. The sky gets darker at higher altitudes, indicating a thinner atmosphere the higher you go.

VVaFFenPanZZeR
02-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Beirut:
I get that right at the start of a flight but it goes away after a second or two.

It does that becuz when the game first starts, for the first couple milli-seconds everyone's machine is choppy, urs is more choppy becuz of ur card(not a good 1). So due to that, ur sky is'nt drawn as fast as others, so u see the first part of being drawn, which is the skybox, before the clouds, and lower level haze/fog.

Beirut
02-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by VVaFFenPanZZeR:
urs is more choppy becuz of ur card(not a good 1).

You, ah, have a problem with my 9800Pro fella? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

theDutchman1962
02-10-2006, 09:37 AM
I had a 9000pro,and it changed the blue color from light to dark sometimes,so i thought the lightblue was the right color,just looked more natural to me,but now i know that wasn't true..

VVaFFenPanZZeR
02-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Neg, I have no problem with ur card, LOL, u do. I have a Nvidia GForce 6800Ultra oc 256mb.

Chuck_Older
02-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Treetop is correct

I don't know what folks are banging on about concerning video cards and such

Dutchman-

why doesn't it look realistic to you? Is it simply because you don't know what the sky looks like at that altitude? You realise that if you go high enough, and you're in Space, the "sky" is black, right?

Just because it doesn't "look right to you", that doesn't mean it isn't correct- it only mean that to you, you expect something different, and not having a real image to compare it to, you assume it's wrong

You're online, find some photos of high altitude skylines, and then see for yourself what it should look like. It's not going to be 100% correct in the sim, but the sky darkening as you reach a certain altitude...like I say, outer space is Black, why does dark blue surprise you? There's even a WWII film called "Dark Blue World"

LEBillfish
02-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Treetop64:
English in this forum, please..

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">¯"¦"" "ªž代"*"ª¤"¦""Œ"'"*¨˜Ž"""¨"' ¿ª""€"ºº"'" "*"Œ?"""*解"€*"ˆ"""¨Œ"""€"¿µ"""€" "Œ¯¨³€...""""¨"'"ªŒ実"""Œ"'¿¨³""¨€ºº""ª¨€ªž"Œ""Œ¿"˜""*"¨¿Œ"*""*¨€"³""ª""""'œ¦"""ª"ºº€Ž²¤º""'""" "ˆ"ª""€" </span>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif.......How ya like them apples?

"I'm sorry, how about you instead of "demanding" English "ask" for the individual to restate it so you can understand and respond.

Better still, the person posting should post in whatever language they feel comfortable, in that way when you translate it you will realize it's the translator, not the person making the grammatical errors."

Chuck_Older
02-10-2006, 10:17 AM
he said "Please"

MercilessFatBoy
02-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Treetop64:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theDutchman1962:

There's nothing wrong with your display. The sky gets darker at higher altitudes, indicating a thinner atmosphere the higher you go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

learn to speak their lenguage if you want to know what their are saying... if it is not on your lenguage chances are it wasnt ment for you..... dont come here and write the ****..... speak english...

sorry if i coment seems harsh but.. it is realy annoying when some ppl think the rest of the world shuld speak english just because they want it easier on them... it just certanly is annoying

VVaFFenPanZZeR
02-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Chuck, Obviously u have no clue what u are talking about, the pilot I was referring to has a video card problem, when his sky is changing from low level to high level, Flickering light and dark blue, when he first starts the game.

Hoatee
02-10-2006, 03:37 PM
'Please' is sometimes used as a cursory addition to a demand and as such devoid of any politeness.

VW-IceFire
02-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by theDutchman1962:
It just doesn't look very real to me?
Alot of people would agree with you. I've seen pictures and been at 30,000feet in airliners (anyone who's flown probably has) and it just doesn't look that dark. I'm told that sort of darkness shows up at 40,000feet.

Your screenshot is taken at 7000m or so and thats about 20,000feet. So it shouldn't be getting all that dark yet. But its just the way the game does it....so it is.

Chuck_Older
02-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Chuck, Obviously u have no clue what u are talking about, the pilot I was referring to has a video card problem, when his sky is changing from low level to high level, Flickering light and dark blue, when he first starts the game.

Obviously u didn't read the part about when I said I didn't know what u were banging on about. If u don't know what that means, it means I didn't no what u were talking about

VW-IceFire
02-10-2006, 03:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beirut:

It does that becuz when the game first starts, for the first couple milli-seconds everyone's machine is choppy, urs is more choppy becuz of ur card(not a good 1). So due to that, ur sky is'nt drawn as fast as others, so u see the first part of being drawn, which is the skybox, before the clouds, and lower level haze/fog. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My 9700Pro is not as good as his 9800Pro and there is nothing wrong with the card itself. Its plenty powerful. There is no chopyness either...and if there was its not because of the video card but because of the RAM and the framebuffer. But thats another story.

The sky may initially appear dark blue after loading a mission as the engine may not initially check your aircrafts altitude and only does so every few seconds. You'll notice this effect if you cycle through enemy or friendly aircraft and some are flying at 7000 and some at sea level...it takes a moment for the colours to adjust. Its fairly normal...

theDutchman1962
02-10-2006, 03:47 PM
..and been at 30,000feet in airliners (anyone who's flown probably has) and it just doesn't look that dark..

My experiences exactly!

Chuck_Older
02-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Hoatee:
'Please' is sometimes used as a cursory addition to a demand and as such devoid of any politeness.

That's true. But I think that assuming what he meant was "Speak English JERK" is a little presumptive

On another front, I think it's very, very selective thinking, bordering on a double standard, to tell folks that they need to learn somebody else's language to understand what they say, when this is the English forum. It's not the multi-lingual-world-village-forum, after all.

You folks are all getting real uptight about somebody posting "speak English, please". It's not an issue that needs UN attention. Disagree with how it was asked all you like, but that doesn't make you guys better than anybody. You don't like how somebody asked somebody else to speak English here- the English speaking forum, yet- and you're getting bent about it

How crazy is THAT? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif There's no issue...why do you guys want a fight so bad??

Hoatee
02-10-2006, 04:13 PM
And all that from a 'clashaholic'. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Treetop64
02-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by MercilessFatBoy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Treetop64:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theDutchman1962:

There's nothing wrong with your display. The sky gets darker at higher altitudes, indicating a thinner atmosphere the higher you go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

learn to speak their lenguage if you want to know what their are saying... if it is not on your lenguage chances are it wasnt ment for you..... dont come here and write the ****..... speak english...

sorry if i coment seems harsh but.. it is realy annoying when some ppl think the rest of the world shuld speak english just because they want it easier on them... it just certanly is annoying </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll say it again:

"English in THIS FORUM, kudo sai!"

It wasn't a demand. It wasn't an order. In fact, I said it tongue-in-cheek, and in hindsight I should have included a smiley, or not even have said it at all. So, my sincere and heartfelt apologies are offered to those who may have been ruffled by that statement. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

However, Mr. Fat Boy, please; you can spare me the "Lazy, ignorant English speaker wants everyone else to speak English so it's easier on them" banter. Proclaiming that sentiment makes you sound as ignorant as those you implicitly accuse the same of.

Treetop64
02-10-2006, 04:59 PM

Upon starting a game, the software will load the lower altitude sky (i.e., the "brighter blue" sky) by default. If you start a game where your aircraft is starting, like, really, really high up in the sky, then the textures will switch from the bright blue to the darker blue sky at the very start of "3D hostilities".

Alternatively, if you switch to an external veiw, then switch veiws from an aircraft that's flying at lower altitudes with one that's up in the lower stratoshpere, the game will load the different sky textures into memory, but it takes a sec to do that, time-dependent on your hardware configuration, of course.

I have an ATI X1900XTX, and it still does that, so there is no malfunction with the hardware. It's just how the software is structured to handle the sky textures. That's it.

-- note to dev team: "Hope I got that right!"

Z4K
02-11-2006, 04:40 AM
Re: whether the sky actually does look darker at alt.

When I've flown, and the highest was approx 35 000' (give or take a couple of thousand), the sky didn't look particularly dark until you actually get out of your seat, go to an exit and crouch down to look UP through a window. If you're looking out horizontally, or even a little downward (as one does, with the windows as they are) you're still looking at a whole lot of air, and there's not a whole lot of difference.

The sky in PF at 10 000m is pretty much spot on.

Also, Treetop64 is exactly right about the sky textures 'lagging'.

Beirut
02-11-2006, 05:03 AM
Neg, I have no problem with ur card, LOL, u do. I have a Nvidia GForce 6800Ultra oc 256mb.

I like my card, so...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/horsesass/PFHHHHHHHT.bmp

VVaFFenPanZZeR
02-11-2006, 06:07 AM
I just saying all cards somtimes get backed up, and gets choppy at the begining of game play, more so I believe if u have all settings set to perfect/Highest.

But since u ppl in this forum seem to always compare PF+FB+AEP to real life, I never seen the sky that dark til 35-40,000 ft. in a C-5 Galaxy, they can only fly 1 M1A1 at a time, I made 6 trips to deliever Tanks to a Parade. It was quite the experience.

Chuck_Older
02-11-2006, 07:47 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

But here's the thing, all:

The question posed by Dutchman was "<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">Is everyone's skycolor that dark blue higher up?</span>"

he says about it:

"<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">It just doesn't look very real to me</span>"

he doesn't ask about any particular altitude...it's not at 30,000 feet he sees something wrong, it's at high altitude

He's not asking whether or not it's correct at that altitude. He feels it doesn't seem realistic to have the sky turn that color "higher up"

Like I said, he should have a look at some photos, and compare for himself to see what's the deal. He expected something else...it's not 100% correct in the sim- as I already pointed out myself- but it's easy enough to find out what the sky looks like at any altitude

But he's not concerned that at 7300m, this look sall wrong. It's that it's all wrong in general. I expect the sky to get darker- SOMEtime.

theDutchman1962
02-11-2006, 08:32 AM
Compare it to Lock On,BOBII or CFS3,all look better,more realistic up high to me?

VVaFFenPanZZeR
02-11-2006, 08:36 AM
Lock-On is bad@ss.

elphifou
02-11-2006, 08:47 AM
Just to hopefully close off the debate over the language "issue": I'm French and I personally don't see anything offending in asking anyone to use English on THIS forum (i.e. I agree with Treetop here). English has become the current "international language" for historical-economical-political reasons, and we're not going to change it by overreacting.
Okay, there is a French speaking Ubisoft site, I'm an English teacher and I love languages, so I may not be totally objective on this, but still... by the time Esperanto is commonly used throughout the world (not any time soon), I guess all of us non-natives have to get used to this situation (which btw they do very well in the Netherlands).

Chuck_Older
02-11-2006, 10:58 AM
I had esperanto once, it was OK I guess. But I don't like coffee all that much, and the home machines are like 5 thousand dollars http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

elphifou
02-11-2006, 11:03 AM
hehe http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif