PDA

View Full Version : Help with controls!!!

l3oyonzero
04-26-2005, 11:15 PM
Hi. I realized that when u first installed PF the controls that u need weren't set for u and there were over 50 controls that had blanks on them. I'm really frustrated... and need to know which controls i need... and what they do. Any help little or bit is greatly appreciated thx!

Cadet_Bobo
04-26-2005, 11:19 PM
Open the options, controls window and scroll down the list. Most are self explanitory, use your imagination. Some you'll need and some you may not need right away. Take it slow and learn deep.

Bobo

l3oyonzero
04-26-2005, 11:33 PM
well i don't want to experiment with all the controls because there is over 50+ of them, i just want to know which controls are vital. For example i can take off a carrier fine but then after my plane turns left or right w/o me even moving my joystick, im thinking there is a key to lvl the plane or setting something after u lift off to fly

Fennec_P
04-26-2005, 11:45 PM
To level the plane, you would use the elevator, rudder and aileron trim commands. I think these have assignments by default, but you might want to change them, for example, if you have extra axis to use up. Elevator trim on a slider, for example, is popular.

Some planes don't have trim for some surfaces (few have aileron trim or rudder trim), and you have to keep the plane straight manually. Planes are not supposed to fly straight under most circumstances due to torque and other factors. Get used to having hand on stick at all times (or feet on pedals, if you've got 'em) if you want to go straight on planes like Bf-109.

As far as I know, most the unassigned commands are not really important (like nav. lights or magnetos), and you don't really need to assign these.

Prop pitch controls not very important either. I think there's maybe 2 or 3 planes that have manual pitch. Most are auto.

Others deal with the bombsight (or the gryoscopic gunsight on P-51D20NA), engine controls, and gunner positions, which you wouldn't use unless you are flying a multi-engine bomber. For small 2 crew bombers, you can use "C" to switch between pilot and gunner.

Really the only unassigned control you need to set is chocks. That, and maybe fuel mix, if it isn't already assigned (some planes have manual mix, most are auto).

JunkoIfurita
04-27-2005, 04:31 AM
Prop pitch controls not very important either. I think there's maybe 2 or 3 planes that have manual pitch. Most are auto.

Are you kidding? The only planes in the game that have automatic prop pitch are the FW190s and the 109s. Also, the Spitfire Mk8s either have auto or a fixed prop (I'm not certain because you can't switch to manual on the Mk8s like you can on the German planes). ALL other planes post 1939 are manual prop pitch aircraft.

On the other hand, l3oyonzero you're new to the game so I reccomend you don't fly on complex engine management just yet. You can disable that in the difficulty menu for missions and campaigns.

As to the 50+ control assignments, a vast majority of these are engine management and bombsight management keys for the level bombers. Since level bombing requires a vast amount of patience (and to be honest, you don't sound as if you have that), I don't think you'll be needing to assign any of these.

Here's what you'll need as basic to assign (I'm ignoring all those vital keys that are already assigned).

*Chocks (for taking off on a carrier)
*Wing Fold (some carrier-borne planes have their wings folded on start of mission.)
*Canopy Open/Close (handy for takeoff)
*Arresting Hook (this is for landing: you need to hook the cable)
*Manual gear up/down (this is two keys, which you need to hit repeatedly until your gear is raised): The Wildcats (F4F3, F4F4 and FM2) have a manual landing gear, that in reality had to be raised by a hefty winch in the cockpit.

Also, learn that in planes where the gunsight is covered (Val, SBD and Ki43), you need to use Ctrl-D to open the sight, and shift-F1 to look down it. For any plane where the gunsight seems 'off centre' Shift-F1 centres it.

While you learn the game, I suggest you turn off high difficulty settings (like complex engine management, stalls & spins, wind, etc) or you'll just end up frustrated. Leave realistic takeoff/landing on, or you'll form some really bad habits that are hard to break.

Be prepared for a very steep learning curve: this is a simulation, not Crimson Skies.

Lastly, welcome to the game! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

----

TooMuchCheese
04-27-2005, 06:36 AM
Of course you could actually read the manual...... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Fennec_P
04-27-2005, 07:28 PM
Most planes have auto pitch or CSP.

Only a few have manual pitch.

WTE_DuStA
04-28-2005, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by l3oyonzero:
well i don't want to experiment with all the controls because there is over 50+ of them, i just want to know which controls are vital. For example i can take off a carrier fine but then after my plane turns left or right w/o me even moving my joystick, im thinking there is a key to lvl the plane or setting something after u lift off to fly

yes its called moving your joystick let and right. There is no auto takeoff pilot in the game, you do actually have to do that yourself