PDA

View Full Version : New Compass tool on nav map after patch 1.2

panthercules
04-05-2005, 11:37 PM
well, what's with the new compass tool on the Nav map? I was all excited thinking we now had a protractor-like tool to help draw lines at the proper bearings from our subs, but this thing is weird - it's degree readings appear to be based on compass heading (i.e., 0 = North) rather than sub heading/target bearing (i.e., 0 = direction sub is heading) - and it reads 1-180 degrees on both east and west (i.e., drawing line straight west reads 90 degrees just like a line straight east does) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Am I missing someting, or is this tool basically useless? (ok, maybe it's useful for something else? - you seem to be able to do something interesting about intercept courses and AOB - but there still doesn't seem to be anything to help you draw a line to the target bearing (say) 127 degrees from your sub when your sub is on a course heading (say) 321 degrees)

Any idea how this new tool is supposed to work and what it's good for?

panthercules
04-05-2005, 11:37 PM
well, what's with the new compass tool on the Nav map? I was all excited thinking we now had a protractor-like tool to help draw lines at the proper bearings from our subs, but this thing is weird - it's degree readings appear to be based on compass heading (i.e., 0 = North) rather than sub heading/target bearing (i.e., 0 = direction sub is heading) - and it reads 1-180 degrees on both east and west (i.e., drawing line straight west reads 90 degrees just like a line straight east does) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Am I missing someting, or is this tool basically useless? (ok, maybe it's useful for something else? - you seem to be able to do something interesting about intercept courses and AOB - but there still doesn't seem to be anything to help you draw a line to the target bearing (say) 127 degrees from your sub when your sub is on a course heading (say) 321 degrees)

Any idea how this new tool is supposed to work and what it's good for?

Bulwark_
04-05-2005, 11:43 PM
I've only tried it once and if I remember correctly, the first line you draw uses a relative bearing from you, and the second line uses a relative bearing from the first line. I think. I haven't really put it to use yet.

panthercules
04-05-2005, 11:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bulwark_:
I've only tried it once and if I remember correctly, the first line you draw uses a relative bearing from you, and the second line uses a relative bearing from the first line. I think. I haven't really put it to use yet. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well, the second part is right, which lets you represent some AOB angles in some odd way (I haven't figured out if that will be at all useful, but it looks interesting as far as calculating approach angles to the target's course and stuff), BUT the first part seems wrong - if you start the tool on your sub at least, the first line appears to reflect the magnetic/compass bearing of the line you draw, NOT the relative bearing of that line from your sub (i.e., a line drawn north from your sub reads 0 degrees on the tool, regardless of which direction your sub is heading), which seems really useless to me - I know which way north is - I want to know (and be able to plot) where my target is in terms of its bearing from my sub

Sure, by doing enough math (relating my sub's course/heading to the target's bearing and translating it back into a computed compass degree reading) I could probably figure out how to use this tool to draw the line I need, but sheesh - why have to go through that math every time when a simple protractor-like function would seem to be quite easy? Surely they had protractors on the subs in WW2?

Lost_Lamb
04-06-2005, 12:57 AM
Looks like we'll have to stick with the Bearing tool for Navigation Map mod. See the Essentials thread at the top of this page.

PsychoFritz
04-06-2005, 01:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bulwark_:
I've only tried it once and if I remember correctly, the first line you draw uses a relative bearing from you, and the second line uses a relative bearing from the first line. I think. I haven't really put it to use yet. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly what it does...used it to sucessfully plot the course of a small mercant tonight without the map icons. Worked well for me...I just had the watch officer call out the contact bearing and range and used the protractor and compass.

Lost_Lamb
04-06-2005, 01:47 AM
To get the patches new navigation map protractor tool too function as a bearing tool, I ran the first line back from directly in front of my boat to the centre of the boat.

Then I drew out the second line.

The angle displayed between this line and the second line is the bearing but for anything on the port side I had to subtract the angle from 360 degrees to get it.