PDA

View Full Version : Hexagons or squares at battlefield? (for devs)

Mescalamba
03-04-2011, 04:15 PM
As you are probably aware, original HoMaM 3 used hexagons on battlefield, not squares.

If you dont know why, simply play HoMaM 3 again and than maybe HoMaM 5. You will be maybe suprised, how clever choice it was using hexagons instead of less original squares.

And for myself, its one reason I liked HoMaM 3 more than any other turn based strategy (though Disciples are pretty good too).

Btw. hexagons are better representation of direction of attack (perfect would be circle, but as logic says, its not exactly great for strategy of this kind). Plus it allows slightly different way of tactics.

So think about using it instead of common boring and unispirating square and maybe some old players will play again. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

And one more thing, make game much faster than HoMaM 5. Cause its nice to have game that takes time to complete, but players should enjoy that time, not waste it. HoMaM 5 is unnecessarily slow..

// Author of this thread played every HoMaM and most of MaM games (even played Crusader http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ).

znork
03-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Its easyer to have big units withe squared map.

Thats the reason why they use squears. And lets see how it works out this time.

After the budapest trip its safe to say the game has a difrant feel then h5

andthenitends
03-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Rather have squares. Hexagon battles now would just feel cheesy.

GoranXII
03-04-2011, 07:44 PM
The only real advantage hexagons have are the fact that it's slightly easier to write formulas for them, but as znork said it's easier to work in big units.

dchalfont
03-04-2011, 09:37 PM
I vote for squares. They are way better.
The only reason they were problematic was beause of poor camera angle/mouse detetction which would require you to rotate the camera, with a more accurate unit selection system it will be rectified.