PDA

View Full Version : Shturmovik

doogerie
05-14-2009, 03:40 AM
how come that the game is called Il2 sturmvik and not Shturmovik or the other name for the tial aircaft Ilyusha not at i am complaning just wondering if anyone knew?

doogerie
05-14-2009, 03:40 AM
how come that the game is called Il2 sturmvik and not Shturmovik or the other name for the tial aircaft Ilyusha not at i am complaning just wondering if anyone knew?

Romanator21
05-14-2009, 05:54 AM
I believe Sturmovik and Stuka have the same root word from German: Sturzkampfflugzeug which means dive-bomber or attack plane. All these words use the letter "S" pronounced as "Sh". I am not a linguist or a German speaker, so someone else will have to enlighten you as to why it's this way.

I am not sure I understand your other question, but Ilyushin was the name of the designer of the plane. The Il-2 was called Ilyusha sometimes as an affectionate nickname. A lot of names in Slavic languages have such nicknames:
Nicholas > Nicholya > Kolya or
Alexander > Sasha or
Roman > Roma etc.

TinyTim
05-14-2009, 06:35 AM
Shturmovik (?????????) was a nickname for a plane with an official name Ilyushin IL-2. Actually, shturmovik in Russian language generally means a type of plane "attacker, close support aircraft". They'd use this term also to describe Hs-129, A-1 skyraider and even modern Su-25 or A-10A planes.

First letter of the name is ? (latin version ) and is pronounced as Sh (in, let's say, "Shoot"). (if that was your question)

Edit: Aaah, I think I understand you now. You are asking why is it titled Sturmovik and not S<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">h</span>turmovik.
I have no clue, but I agree it should be with an h. But then, I am no linguist...

rnzoli
05-14-2009, 07:00 AM
the answer is either marketing or legal reason

also IL-2 should have been Il-2 according to the conventions, so why is that? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

M_Gunz
05-14-2009, 07:13 AM
So they looked up the name in a Russian:English dictionary to spell for the foreign version....