PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Factions

WaterPoloLaw
03-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Four of the 5 factions have been confirmed (stronghold, necro, haven, inferno). We are also anticipating that the 5th vanilla faction will be the new Naga sanctuary.

This leaves several factions out of the mix, at least for the time being. However, it is almost certain at least two (2) factions will be introduced via the use of one (1) or two (2) expansions.

I just wanted to get your thoughts on which factions you think will (or will not) make it into Heroes VI in any form and why?

Here are my thoughts:

Academy: The wizard town has been a part of heroes games forever. The wizards have a very prominent place in the lore of Ashan, and, therefore, I think it is most likely that they will return, at least in some form. However, if the rumors involving the new naga sanctuary are true, then I think the chances of the Academy returning may be less than certain. The naga sanctuary seems to have serval units that, at least in some part, have a similar "feel" to the academy. Indeed, the naga sanctuary has a feel of being a primarly "magic" town with untis that appear to at least somewhat have the same feel of the units from the academy.

Assuming the rumors that the naga sanctuary are true, I would put the chances for the academy returning at about 55%-60%. Though I personally love the academy and while it fits in very well with the lore of Ashan, I can't help but feel that the new Naga faction was meant to be the replacement for the wizards in this sixth installment of the game. Of course, I could be dead wrong.

Sylvan: The nature-loving high elf faction I believe has the highest probability of returning to Heroes VI of any prior faction. This has been a staple of might and magic games for many years. The fact that the town has a very distinct "feel" to it further increases the probability that we will see the elves making a triumphant return to the world of Ashan.

Where are we likely to see changes? I think it is clear that Ubisoft is attempting to move away from worthless tier 1 units and also away from overpowered 7th tier units. If the elves return, I doubt we will see the inclusion of worthless units (like sprites) and vastly overpowered units (like emerald dragons).

Another change I can see is that the developers could try to incorporate the sylvan elves with the dark elves to produce one (1) elven faction. I am no expert on Ashan lore, but since Heores VI takes place earlier in time than Heroes V, I think there could be a great story regarding this faction involving a time when both high elves and dark elves were part of the same society. Combined with the fact that I do not see the dungeon returning (see below), I think it is highly possible that we could see a high elf race with some dark elf-type elements and units. The probability of the sylvan faction returning in some form is higher than 80% in my opinion and is almost certain.

Dungeon: This was my favorite faction in Heroes V. Unfortunately I think that it is least likely that the dark elves will return for this installment.

My reasons for thinking this? First is the fact that many historical dungeon units seemed to have been given to other races in this installment. Medusas now seem to be part of the naga race. The new naga kappa seems to have at least some similar "feel" to a troglodyte. Harpies now exist as part of the stronghold. Beastmen also seem to have been given to the stronghold or, in the alternative, to the naga.

There are also several versions of dark, female spellcaster units in the game, including ghosts, succubus and the alleged coral maidens, thus creating a redundancy for dark female spellcasters like witches. Ubisoft also seems to be moving away from uber, all-powerful 7th tier champion units, like the black dragon.

In short, I think it is unlikely we will see the return of the Dungeon in this installment. I think it more likely that we will see the return of the Sylvan faction or a new combined high elf/dark elf faction, but I doubt we will see both a high elf and a dark elf faction for the reasons stated. In my opinion, we have less than a 25% chance to see the return of the Dungeon faction, unless it is incorproated into a combined "elf" faction.

Fortress: Call me crazy, but I think we actually have a decent probability to see the dwarven fortress return. In fact, I would say that we could almost certainly see the return of the fortress in some form if it were not for two (2) things.

First, the main challenge for the reappearance of the fortress would be unit diversification within the faction. If the fortress returns, there certainly will be no overpowered tier 7 magma dragons. A race made up entirely of various dwarf units could, therefore, become old and redundant without a healthy dose of major creativity (and the addition of at least one flying unit).

Second, is that the dwarven fortress was wholly new to the Heroes franchise with Heroes V. Prior to Heroes V, the fortress had been a swampy, jungle faction with beastmen and battlemages and, really, was a pretty dumb faction. Therefore, the second main challenge to bringing back the fortress (say over another more established faction to the franchise) is that it could cause a bit of an uproar in the community. Nonetheless, I see the probability of the dwarven fortress returning at greater than 65%.

Conflux: The conflux was an entirely bad idea to begin with. Elementals are neutral creatures. Plus, the naga faction seems to have a lot of feel similar to the conflux. I would say we have a less than 1% chance to see the conflux return.

Entirely New Race: We could also see an entirely new race for the expansions, but I think this is unlikely. Adding something entirely new to an already successful and established franchise is a major feat in and of itself. If we do see the return of another new franchise in addition to the naga sactuary, I think it would be (a) a combination of the sylvan and dungeon factions to form an "elf" faction, (b) the combination of a dwarf and elf faction, or (c) an entirely new take on the wizard faction. However, the addition of an entirely new faction (other than a combined elf faction) has a probability of less than 15%.

Just my opinions.

WaterPoloLaw
03-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Boy, that was long. To just summarize, if I had to make a guess right now and assuming that the naga faction is true, I would have to guess the following factions for the expansion:

(1) The Sylvan faction or a new take on a combined "elf" faction invovling both high elf and dark elf elements and units. (Almost Certain and Over 80% Probability).

(2) The return of the dwarven fortress (with new highly creative units and elements to diversify units within the faction)(Most Likely and Over 65% probability).

(3) A new direction for the wizard faction and the academy. (More likely than not and over a 55% chance.)

Infiltrator-SF
03-03-2011, 11:29 AM
There was an interview some time ago, and the question was about Dark Elves/Dungeon, they said:

"Further details of the Dark Elves are planned to be unveiled in future episodes"

Also, they've said how they know some towns in the expansion would not function without a dragon as their champion, again, this dungeon.

so.. pretty much expect Dungeon to make a comeback in the expansion.

WaterPoloLaw
03-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Infiltrator-SF:
There was an interview some time ago, and the question was about Dark Elves/Dungeon, they said:

"Further details of the Dark Elves are planned to be unveiled in future episodes"

Also, they've said how they know some towns in the expansion would not function without a dragon as their champion, again, this dungeon.

so.. pretty much expect Dungeon to make a comeback in the expansion.

Well, that is some great news. Dungeon has always been my favorite faction. It will be interesting to see how the faction is implemented.

So what does this means as far as expansion factions are concerned? If the dark elves are in, who is out? Frankly, I find it a little hard to believe that they would totally axe sylvan since "elves" in general seem to be a staple of most all fantasy games.

Would they really try to kick out two factions per expansion? It seems a little unlikely, but i guess it is possible. Have they said anything about the return of the academy faction? Or, the naga sanctuary is likely a replacement for the academy?

TarponCrest
03-03-2011, 12:32 PM
I think it all depends on how well the vanilla game is received by us fans, in essence (sells).

I think that they would not go through all that trouble making a "better" yet appealing game for us fans who have a very high standard of the game already and not include factions that we have all come to know and expect. Dungeon is almost a must. One has to have "Drow" (dark elves) if they are truly trying to make the game RP friendly. Same goes for dwarfs not to forget that in the V version they came up with some nice ideas for each of these factions (the Runes and the Elemental Damage) I truly loved that as well as the Rage for Strong hold. ( I hope it will remain in Heroes VI. We also have to have a "Tree Hugging" ( I say this with kindness I am one) faction and elves and druids and treants are just to important in a Fantasy world specially for RPing. Academy is just great so many of us fans love magic!

I see two factions added to each expansion with a possible bonus new one if sales are a super success( maybe even a third expansion).

I see (In no particular order) Sylvan, Fortress, Dungeon, and Academy making it to the expansions.

I hope there is a third expansion that will bring two new factions that will enhance game play after the game is released and well played.

Like all games I am sure there will be a need to patch and change a few things here and there as the game is played by fans all over the world but I really believe that the stage is set for a great version of the game.

Thunion
03-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Even if i love dwarves only less then academy i think there is small chance they get theyr return here.I remember i read somewhere that there hadnt been heard anything from dwarves and i fear for more then 400 years.About academy:They have unque mechanical units i want to see how ubi uses this and make more of technology-magic combinations meybe implementing some new system.(I dont really liked creature artfacts ;/) Well sylvan and dark ones will be back becouse some people allready mentioned that there will be some historical even at this time.
Ahh there it is:Posted by kodial79

I will explain why, once again: Heroes VI takes place on 564 YSD. Two years later, 566 YSD, we have the event "The Day of Tears and Fire and the Death of Thuidana", that makes Sylvan and Dungeon the most likely candidates for expansion factions.
btw:
All that changed when the first Dark Elves settled on the dwarves’ borders. A steadily deteriorating situation turned into the War Under the Mountain, in which the dwarves, led by Hathor Deepstrider Orlandsson, crushed the Dark Elves and drove them out. The Dark Elf dwelling places were collapsed, and the dwarves considered their borders secure.
anyone knows exact age of it or it never was annouced? it may turn out that first expansio features dwarves-dark elves wars and second adds sylvans.

mcgslo
03-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Addons:

My pick:

-Dungeon
-Academy
-Sylvan/Nature
-New faction

(i hope they never include dwarfs again for whole faction)
Dwarfs can be neutral creatures or one unit part of Academy/sylvan or some other faction.

Gnecromancer
03-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Screw the dwarves; most boring faction ever... If they're going to bring back the Fortress then bring back the original swamp dwellers...

Thunion
03-04-2011, 03:00 AM
I want dwarves back but with less dwarvesn units.. i mean common there can be alots of unique north creatures not just bears and lava dragons...

dchalfont
03-04-2011, 05:50 AM
I agree that the dwarves sucked in H5.

If they used them, there would have to be 2 dwarf units max, and they would have to be very varied.

Maybe use a mountain giant as tier 7 aka champion kind of like the massive giants in kings bounty. That could be one 'dwarf' unit.

Surely there are some more epic beasts to be tamed in the depths.

Infiltrator-SF
03-04-2011, 07:00 AM
Walrus riders.

Seriously, dwarves stink, literally and figuratively.

Thunion
03-04-2011, 08:12 AM
If they used them, there would have to be 2 dwarf units max, and they would have to be very varied.
Nah i think 4 would fit just nice:Bear Rider/Priest/Thane/Simple dwarf.Other 3 units could be same magma dragons/Yeti/Mountain Giant/Someone else from Viking mythologi,i dont know it very well but i can bet we can find some nice creatures.

KingImp
03-04-2011, 09:02 AM
I personally will be upset if when all is said and done this game doesn't contain 8 factions minimum. To get to that number, the ones I think are staples of the Heroes series and need to be there in the end are clearly Academy/Tower, Sylvan/Rampart, and Dungeon.

najmul88
03-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Aww guys what about Titans, they were my favorite unit ever in Homm. Loved em since homm 2 where i reckon they looked the BEST!

Huge black armour, excellent sound effects and thunderbolt in hand!

The homm 3 one looked a bit crap, with lame gold armour and a stupid sword.

Homm 5 were pretty awesome with crackling sparks everywhere and a crazy twitch about em. Though they need awesome looking armour!

Homm feels so empty without my favorite titans! btw storm collosus suck, and black dragons get owned by Titans all day everyday!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

WaterPoloLaw
03-06-2011, 11:59 AM
I like titans, but the Pheonix was always my favorite champion unit from past games.

Does anyone know if the Pheonix is in the game as a neutral creature as of yet? I hope it is not and that the Pheonix can return as the rightful champion of the Sylvan/Rampart/Sorceress faction.

Honestly, the only faction with dragons for champion units that ever really made sense is the dungeon faction or maybe the dwarves with thier magma dragon. I could even go for a change with respect to removing the black dragon as the dark elf champion unit in lieu of the Hydra. I never liked the emerald/green/crystal/gold dragons associated with the rampart/sylvan. On that note, I never really loved the concept of bone dragons either.

But anyway, I would love to see the Pheonix return as the champion unit for the elves.

Thunion
03-06-2011, 01:24 PM
I hope it is not and that the Pheonix can return as the rightful champion of the Sylvan/Rampart/Sorceress faction.
Well i dont think those hopes gonna fullify..First of all Dragons are ancient creatures so i guess they have been champions of Sylvan even 400 years ago,second Pheonix is an element not a unit of forests so it doesnt asocciates with Sylvan.

WaterPoloLaw
03-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Well i dont think those hopes gonna fullify..First of all Dragons are ancient creatures so i guess they have been champions of Sylvan even 400 years ago,second Pheonix is an element not a unit of forests so it doesnt asocciates with Sylvan.

You are probably right. Nonetheless, I did like the phoenix better at the top of the sorceress/elf chain in Heroes II. Just thought it might be nice to have something other than a dragon at the top of of the Sylvan faction again. Maybe not.

Rei-V
03-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by KingImp:
I personally will be upset if when all is said and done this game doesn't contain 8 factions minimum. To get to that number, the ones I think are staples of the Heroes series and need to be there in the end are clearly Academy/Tower, Sylvan/Rampart, and Dungeon.

This is exactly how I feel. There are some factions this game just needs, whether the lineup changes significantly or not... If any of those mentioned factions don't make it in sooner or later I will be pretty disappointed. They have simplified other elements of the game, if they reduce the number of factions also... It may end up one very visually stunning disappointment of a Heroes installment.

najmul88
03-07-2011, 05:22 AM
Hey how do you think they will portray titans this time?

If they make blackdragons bosses, those will look pretty awesome no doubt, like that spider queen which looks absolutely ridiculously epic http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

But imagine a Titan boss! That would be the best thing ever! Every new homm im always psyched for the titans, but if they make it a boss in this one, it will have be just as epic as other bosses. A giant 100ft onyx armoured thunder god! Damn cant wait to play this game!

Thunion
03-07-2011, 09:34 AM
I want titans lightining bolts back...I mean not just lighting from hand,but bolts like weapons.Like it was in h2,3,4.It looks much more better in my opinion.

Infiltrator-SF
03-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Thunion:
I want titans lightining bolts back...I mean not just lighting from hand,but bolts like weapons.Like it was in h2,3,4.It looks much more better in my opinion.

In H2 it was from the hands, in H3 from the sky, make up your mind :P

najmul88
03-08-2011, 08:39 AM
Nah H3 wasnt from the sky, he held a huge jagged sword.

But i much prefered H2 wth te cool looking lightning bolt to compliment that dark armour he wears.

H5 was cool but, he doesnt hold a bolt, and when he attacks in melee, he stomp kicks a the foe which is stupid. The Giant was the worst. :/

Id love the h6 dragons to also go back to stnding on their hind quarters, like bahamut from final fantasy games, though of course with their traditional look.

Now that theyve made the dragons seperate bosses, i think each one will be designed totaly differnt from the other which will be awesome!

Damn i went on yotube te other day and i listened to a lot of the older music! Apparently i heard, the ultimate musci dude is gonna be back, Some Romero dude or te other.

Also the adventure walking is gonna have a rearranged composition of H2 grass terrian, which is damn great!

Cant wait to ehar some of the music, Guy you need to go on youtube andlisten to the old scores, they are ridiculousl awesome through H2 and 3 town screens and terrain adventure ap music. Did h3 have terrain music? i cant seem to remember :/

Im gonna have to reinstall H2+3 again and clock them before 6 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif If i can find those CDs :S

C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s
03-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by WaterPoloLaw:
Does anyone know if the Pheonix is in the game as a neutral creature as of yet?

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/1227/h6shirt.jpg

WaterPoloLaw
03-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Well, it appears they will not be a faction unit. But I have to admit that picture gets me all sorts of excited. I love the art direction this game is taking. Pheonix are usually red, but that one is almost ghostly blue. Nonetheless, I like it.

Thanks for posting this.

Articun
03-08-2011, 04:58 PM
hmm, well, here's my take on things.
It is revealed in the official site on creature descriptions a lot of naga sayings and stuff, so i do believe that sanctuary will be in the core game. For what other reason implement so much about nagas if not to enter them in the game.
Now, about the expansions. I do honestly believe that it will be important to see 2 factions per expansion for 2 expansions minimum. Now, for the first expansion, i have a hunch that we will be seeing either the creation of dark elves from the high elves or, more probably, the establishment of dark elf cities and their wars with the dawrves. So i expect to see Dungeon and Fortress coming. After all, it was said that we will find out more about dark elf clans and history in later episodes. And in general, it fits with the story, since there is friendship between dwarves and humans, so if a war is to be expected between dark elves and dwarves we will see more factions entering the war.
Now, for the 3rd expansion, i expect to see Sylvan and Academy as well as the Fall of necromancy and their ban from the Silver cities. I do not know how the elves might react to this if they will be related to that part of Ashan history but Sylvan is a must town in heroes and it should return. (The part of which it is my favourit faction is irrelevant).
So, storywise, i expect to seeQ
1st expansion: Dungeon / Fortress - War for underground dominance
2nd Expansion: Sylvan / Academy - Banishment of necromancers from the silver cities, elven involment or something like that.
3rd Expansion: If there is going to be a third expansion i doubt there will be a new faction, though i have come across a rumor saying that there will be 10 factions at the end of heroes VI. Honestly, the only other faction from the classic we can see is the Conflux. But Conflux in Heroes 3 was created by the forces of the cosmos (elementals) to warn about the coming destruction of Erathia... So it is more probable to see changes in the existing factions, or maybe, just maybe. the faction fo the Faceless... I mean Archangel Michael is mentioned in this game and he was the one to defeat the Faceless... Never said they were gone though for good...

Nxss
03-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Here is my thoughts on the expansion factions:
Actually, I don't have any yet because I have yet to play H6! So, the expansions or what is in them does not really matter to me until the game has been out for a little bit.

It might not be the best way to look at things, but it seems to make sense! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

mcgslo
03-09-2011, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Nxss:
Here is my thoughts on the expansion factions:
Actually, I don't have any yet because I have yet to play H6! So, the expansions or what is in them does not really matter to me until the game has been out for a little bit.

It might not be the best way to look at things, but it seems to make sense! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Noo.. for next "big" Heroes of MM game 5 faction in core game is really low.. so expansion is important!!

As for creatures i dont see M&M world like lords of the ring world... so for me elf dark elf and dwarf are ONE unit and certainly not whole faction!!

Form me Dungeon is not dark elves.... but minotaurus, red/black dragon, troglodyte, beholder etc. more like it was in Heroes 3. And filled with "dungeon" like creatures.

Certainly i dont want dwarf, elf, dark elf whole factions!!! 2 dwars or 2 elfs or 2 dark elfs MAX per faction...

Thunion
03-09-2011, 02:45 AM
Certainly i dont want dwarf, elf, dark elf whole factions!!! 2 dwars or 2 elfs or 2 dark elfs MAX per faction...
agree with you almost totaly but my opinion is a slight diffrent.I think its allowable to include thrid dwarf/elf/dark elf per faction IF they all 3 are diffrent:aka warior(or arher)/Mage of some kinda/Rider.So from dwarves if there will be such i guess Bear Rider is a must,i bet we will se return of priest,i guess there also will be either regular warior or thane (or even both).About Dark elves i think they faction setup was very good in h5(with exception of blood sisters :O) however blood sisters are out of the game for sure they were harpies of some sorts.And elves:We will see druids and rangers for sure,elves without rangers are not elves.However i really would like to dont see blade dancers anymore,not the units i liked.

And more about pheonix.The are creautres(or elements?!) of the night and as picture shows theey willbe blue/dark.I remembered this fact only when saw picture ;p(also those guys remind me articuno from pokemons a bit http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

mcgslo
03-09-2011, 05:06 AM
Acording to wiki:

A phoenix is a mythical bird that is a fire spirit with a colorful plumage and a tail of gold and scarlet (or purple, blue, and green according to some legends)

But Phoenix in M&M world can be anything they want: D

As for my post directed at dwarfs, elfs, and dark elfs... I really really dont want to see Fortress from Heroes 5 (not that i hate so many dwarfs but runes were also bad idea, my opinion). You had melee dwarf, range dwarf. cavalry dwarf (bear riders), another brawler melee dwarf, magic caster dwarf heck even Thane looked like giant dwarf... an than you get fire dragon which in my opinion don’t look like a dwarf at all... really bad faction design... i like dwarfs when they were one unit...

Elfs/rangers are good match for nature/sylvan faction and i like druids also and i guess pixies are elvs too... blade dancers should be replaced however...

I liked how different creatures in same environment are connected and are forming one faction ...and not one copy pasted creature… except for Humans and haven faction…

najmul88
03-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Yeah i didnt really like the dwarf faction except the Thanes, them thanes were pretty awesome. The brawlers was possibly the worst unit in the game, i would take zombies over those :/
Too many dwarf units in one army yet their shouldve been more mechanical type of guys, engineers or blacksmithy dudes, they should have something along the lines of that instead of priests, i didnt half fancy the priests either but maybe thats just me. The dragons were kinda silly though they looked cool, quite unoriginal to throw yet another dragon into the 7th tier creature of a DAWRF army??? lol

Whoa that phoenix pic is AWEEEESOME, love the blue look! like a brither blue more clean but powrful fire! Wish it was an upgrade to the red fire phenix that wouldve been cool http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

C_h_u_c_k_l_e_s
03-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Just a quick FYI, the image above of the phoenix...you can see that on the black t-shirts the fans were wearing in those first Ubisoft "fan-day" videos on the official site. It was the first time any of us got to see the Phoenix. The blue took some getting used to, but the design is gorgeous IMO. And besides, I'm a bit partial to blue anyway. *grin*

Thunion
03-10-2011, 03:22 AM
type of guys, engineers or blacksmithy dudes
You cant guess how much times i wanted to type the same and then remembered that role of engineers is allready taken by academy..However i guess they could have some battle machines,somthing totaly not like golems or gargolies.I guess ballista would be really nice+ it fits Lore really well "400 years ago only dwarves were advanced enought to froge ballistas and they guarded this secret well"

Shawn85
03-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by WaterPoloLaw:
Boy, that was long. To just summarize, if I had to make a guess right now and assuming that the naga faction is true, I would have to guess the following factions for the expansion:

(1) The Sylvan faction or a new take on a combined "elf" faction invovling both high elf and dark elf elements and units. (Almost Certain and Over 80% Probability).

(2) The return of the dwarven fortress (with new highly creative units and elements to diversify units within the faction)(Most Likely and Over 65% probability).

(3) A new direction for the wizard faction and the academy. (More likely than not and over a 55% chance.)

What do you mean new direction? Wizards are extremely important and firmly established, they need to stay as is.

dchalfont
03-25-2011, 04:57 PM
I will explain why, once again: Heroes VI takes place on 564 YSD. Two years later, 566 YSD, we have the event "The Day of Tears and Fire and the Death of Thuidana", that makes Sylvan and Dungeon the most likely candidates for expansion factions.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

I really want to see sylvan in the expansion more than anything because I feel that with the changes they have done to the other factions and the improved visuals etc that they can make Sylvan something truly special.

Of course the same is true for Dungeon and Academy too but I feel that Sylvan wasn't given the same care in unit design in H5 as the other factions.

An original champion unit + the new initiative system ( all units get a turn each round no matter how slow they are as it goes in order, unlike in H5 where Tree Ents would literally have to wait 3 whole rounds to move...essentially making them useless.

+ Slyvan would just be a pretty town to look at.

There is no way in hell they'd leave academy out though. So It must be Slvan + dungeon in the first expansion, and Academy in the second expansion. Or better yet....academy + another new faction in the expansion http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Nalafein
03-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Dark elfs xD (yes bring me back to the D&D times and books of R.A salvatore, War of the spider Queen feeling) for me that would be ultimate wish for a dungeon faction. Dungeon was my favorit faction. though i have to agree with the minotaur creature of dungeon. so this will be a long awaited return if they will return.

Sylvian/rampart/nature elfs in general. will be missed untill it returns.

Kinda miss the dwarfs, though if they return, i hope its going to be rewamped a bit.

what about fortress from heroes 3? or even conflux, could sorta make a return somehow, hopefully rewamped both of them. Acedemy with them golems and Genies.

for expansion packs, they have a lot to grab at. maybe they would shock us completly? and bring us 5 new factions? (wet, luciddreams i know)

raider_manhc
03-26-2011, 08:03 AM
I think that we can expect sylvan and dungeon back in the expansion, why?? because since this is a kind of prologue to the history of heroes of might and magic it would fit perfectly...when you read the history it would make sense that they in the expansions would tell the story of the elves and how the "elves" (dungeon) where tricked by the dragon god shallassa and became dark elves... and after this how the war began between these 2 factions...

And because of the rumors that is around the net regarind the expansions...I expect it to be those two factions....

ChaosArchon85
03-26-2011, 12:52 PM
I's imagine that a key consideration for which factions arrive in the expansion would be where they fit into the story. (I'm hoping) They aren't just forgetting about these favorite factions of past iterations, but rather they have a good reason why each of them is not yet part of the story.

Consider:
--The wizards of the Silver Cities (like early in the story of HoMMV) can easily turn a blind-eye to the world's troubles and isolate themselves to avoid being involved. Especially if they can create a mutant race of warriors to fight off demon invasions for them. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
--The elves (both above-ground and below) are beyond adept at keeping themselves hidden, especially in times of widespread turmoil. Like the wizards, if trouble doesn't come to them, they probably won't go chasing it.
--Iirc, the dark elves were just being discovered in HoMMV, so they may not make a profound appearance. Although, I'm hoping that I'll be proven wrong as I'd hate to see the iconic warlock faction come to an end.
-- ^^Same goes for the dwarves (?)

Nonetheless, each of those factions could use a bit of creative overhaul to masterfully integrate them into the "new" setting which may be why it is best that they be kept for later release. As far as story goes though, I'm sure each of them can come up with an excuse for why they're absent from the battles on Ashan... but definitely not absent from Ashan itself.

Thunion
03-26-2011, 03:07 PM
I think we can rise dwarven chances a bit

“It was like the fire inside me had been drowned in a bucket of chilled ale.” This report, from a Dwarf pirate to his captain after a skirmish with a Pearl Priestess, illustrates well the effects of the Naga's mesmerizing power. It dulls the minds of their enemies, making them much slower to react.

Khanofallorcs
03-26-2011, 10:29 PM
But Thunion, applying this same logic it means that the elves are also coming back
They are mentioned at least twice:
-In the description of the Celestial(angel champion haven): The Celestials' determination and faith in Elrath make them immune to all magic that attempts to hinder or sway them from their path. This tremendous ability has given rise to a well-known expression in the Forests of Irrolan. "Curse a Celestial? You might as well try cursing the sun!"
-And the text of the vestal(that healer lady priest also haven): The Vestals of the Holy Empire walk with a natural aura of purity and truth that brings spiritual pause to the enemies they attack. Their resolve and beauty has been known to strike their enemies speechless. A well-known Elven ballad recounts a battle with Vestals, claiming that each blow they delivered felt like being slapped on the face by your mother.
So does that mean both factions are returning?
I certainly hope so(though I do hope they are going to seriously revamp the Sylvans)

Thunion
03-27-2011, 01:06 AM
Well hes i readed this thing about elves to,but then nagas wasnt realesed yet so i was more concerned about naga mentions,you reminded me this one.From 4 absent faction only one wasnt mentioned yet-Dungeon(Correct me if i wrong,i may have skiped somthing)
Well i hope elves/Dark elves/Dwarves(if they all will be in expansions) will have theyr Units Revamped.First of all i hope elves will lose theyr bladedancers,those guys always looked a bit stupid for me,other then that they got theyr setup almost perfect.For sure we wont see Blood Maidens again i hope in theyr place will be some creature not aother dark elf.3 Dark Elf units are more then enought.And i hope dwarves will get more Creatures.

Khanofallorcs
03-27-2011, 02:01 AM
Dungeon hasn't been mentioned yet because the dark elves had just been formed, 14 years before homm6, and they are still living with the elves in Irollan, until two years after homm6, when we have the event Days of the Tears of Fire, when they are blamed for the burning of Syris Thalla, so that is explainable

dchalfont
03-27-2011, 02:08 AM
I don't know how anyone even knows the lore, it must be from M&M rather than HOMM because I've played every HOMM game except #1 and the stories and campaigns have always been so bad I never bothered to finish them let alone know the lore or care about the characters.

I chose my characters based on their avatar...

Thunion
03-27-2011, 02:28 AM
Days of the Tears of Fire
I heared it not once and not twice can anybody give me the link where i can learn more about those Days of the Tears of Fire?

Khanofallorcs
03-27-2011, 07:59 AM
If you really are interested, you should check Wiki (like I do) at http://mightandmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Ashan
or I think celestail havens has a page about that but it is mentioned only:
http://www.celestialheavens.com/viewpage.php?id=428
Sorry for the late reply

Thunion
03-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks Khan that was exactly what i was looking for

Khanofallorcs
03-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Glad it helps

Nalafein
03-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Khanofallorcs:
If you really are interested, you should check Wiki (like I do) at http://mightandmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Ashan
Sorry for the late reply

Awsome http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif some joyfull reading incomming http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Khanofallorcs
03-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Glad to be of service

Shawn85
03-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Khanofallorcs:
Sorry for the late reply

This really is a well realized world isn't it. GO WIZARDS! lol. Naga i think are going to be really cool aswell.

Nalafein
03-29-2011, 03:00 AM
Quite an intresting read. they have a lot of lore to work with for the upcomming expansion packs.
Think mmh6 will be quite exciting lore wise.

And from all the screenies it looks quite promesing. Keep up the good work ubi/hole.
You'll get alot of new fanboys(and girls) if you do this right, which i for one belive you will http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mugoof
04-04-2011, 12:44 PM
i bellive..

-Dungeon
-Academy or the Conflux reconstructed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
-Nature
-Some kinda mechanical Related faction http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Shawn85
04-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Mugoof:
i bellive..

-Dungeon
-Academy or the Conflux reconstructed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
-Nature
-Some kinda mechanical Related faction http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

what do you mean reconstructed?

BlueLore
04-17-2011, 06:21 AM
My opinions are:
Sylvan:
The sylvan is quite likely to return,as they are one of the oldest factions in the game.I would like it if they remove the blade dancer and the green dragon,because the blade dancer was just there to increase the number of elves in the sylvan and the green dragons don't really fit in my opinion.They could replace the dancers with the satyr and the dragon with the leshy(a protector of the forest from the slavic mythology,who has the ability to change size).

academy:
The academy is also quite likely to return,as it is one of the most popular factions.

dungeon:
The dungeon also belongs to the oldest and most popular factions,so I think it will return sooner or later.But I hope that they don't put so many dark elves into the faction like they did in V.The assassins and witches are in my opinion ok,because assassin and witch are classes that could be units by themselves,even if they would be normal humans,but the blood sisters and riders were just unnecessary.

dwarf-fortress:
The only faction of H5 which may not reutrn at all.The fortress in H5 was just a disaster.They could add halflings as shooters(like in H2),Roc(at least if they put the dwarves mostly in the mountains and not in the underground)as flying creatures and a giant as champion creature

swamp-fortress:
Quite unlikely in my opinion at least as they don't change really much,because every faction is represented by a species in H5(humans,dwarves,wizards,elves,dark elves,demons,orcs and undead) and it looks like this is also the case in H6,since naga rule the sanctuary,but the swamp was ruled by lizardmen in H3 and lizardmen are completely invented,so I don't think they will put them into H6.

Conflux:
Has a better chance than the swamp,since it really represents a species(the elementals),which even exists in the world of Ashan.But I think think that the new tier-system may be a hindrance for the conflux,as the four elemenatls should be in the same tier group,which would give the conflux either 4 core creatures,or 4 elite creatures,instead of 3,which would make it quite hard to balance the conflux.

New Faction:
I think a new faction is quite possible,especially since the faceless are mentioned in H5 but never seen.
I don't know very much about the faceless,but I know that in mythology there is in fact a faceless creature: the noppera-bo from japanese folklore,with this it is possible,that the faceless would have a faction with yokai from japanese folklore.I know that the sanctuary has already some yokai(like the kappa) as units,but I talk about a more evil faction(with creatures like oni or kitsune).

Thunion
04-18-2011, 04:39 AM
I think Dragons are returning as a wardens of nature,they always been there from H3 and before it was pheonix as T7 who now is neutral.I would like to see Dragons return.Becouse elves and dark elves are always kinda opposite Dark/White Uderground/Forest Black Dragon/Green Dragon(And i cant imagine Dungeon Without Black Dragons)

BlueLore
04-18-2011, 05:30 AM
yeah and the bone dragon was always the topcreature of the undead,but now it isn't anymore.
I think the dungeon will keep its dragon,as it was always the strongest creature of the dungeon,since heroes I and is often seen as the true dragonunit,but I think it is quite possible,that the sylvan will loose its dragon,just like the necropolis.

Thunion
04-18-2011, 06:19 AM
I can easely explain why Necropolis no longer have dragons..Just there was not enought dead dragons back then :P.Green Dragon was always in ashan an ally of elves.

GoranXII
04-18-2011, 02:55 PM
I think Dragons are returning as a wardens of nature,they always been there from H3 and before it was pheonix as T7 who now is neutral.I would like to see Dragons return.Becouse elves and dark elves are always kinda opposite Dark/White Uderground/Forest Black Dragon/Green Dragon(And i cant imagine Dungeon Without Black Dragons) Yeah, but it was a Fairy Dragon in 4, not a Green.

But f*** it, dragons dragons dragons, I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF THOSE HALF-ASSED FLYING LIZARDS. Blacks are fine, Bones are fine, and maybe we could have one or two others as neutral, but honestly, Ubisoft is dragon-mad.

I can easely explain why Necropolis no longer have dragons..Just there was not enought dead dragons back then :P. So what happened to the Fate Weavers? A big can of god-strength bug-spray?

Thunion
04-19-2011, 07:06 AM
Yeah, but it was a Fairy Dragon in 4, not a Green.

But f*** it, dragons dragons dragons, I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF THOSE HALF-ASSED FLYING LIZARDS. Blacks are fine, Bones are fine, and maybe we could have one or two others as neutral, but honestly, Ubisoft is dragon-mad.
Becouse they are DRAGONS! not only ubi is mad about dragons..Who are the 5 aspects in wow? Dragons!.DRAGON age.Dungenos and who? well of course DRAGONS.Who will be the main antagonists in Elder Scrolls 5:Skyrim? You guessed right-DRAGONS.

Dragons are one of the most popular mythical creatures(if not the most popular).

KingImp
04-19-2011, 09:22 AM
I know these are two different games, but based on that Clash of Heroes game, I can definitely see Academy and Sylvan being included in the future.

I just hope it isn't limited to just those two.

GoranXII
04-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Becouse they are DRAGONS! not only ubi is mad about dragons..Who are the 5 aspects in wow? Dragons!.DRAGON age.Dungenos and who? well of course DRAGONS.Who will be the main antagonists in Elder Scrolls 5:Skyrim? You guessed right-DRAGONS. Homm/MM:H is the only 'fantasy' game I play, and just because other groups get off on overusing such clichéd beasts, doesn't mean Ubisoft should have.

Dragons are one of the most popular mythical creatures(if not the most popular). And? They're also one of the most boring.

Thunion
04-20-2011, 04:57 AM
And? They're also one of the most boring.
Ok its your oppinion i respect it,but could you more detaly explain the word boring? what makes dragons more boring then Angels/Hydras/Minoutaurs/Any other creature?

Homm/MM:H is the only 'fantasy' game I play, and just because other groups get off on overusing such clichéd beasts, doesn't mean Ubisoft should have.
Overusing? dragons are sometimes just creatures sometimes entire race.If dragons are overused arent humans/elves/orcs overused either?

BlueLore
04-20-2011, 06:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Homm/MM:H is the only 'fantasy' game I play, and just because other groups get off on overusing such clichéd beasts, doesn't mean Ubisoft should have.
Overusing? dragons are sometimes just creatures sometimes entire race.If dragons are overused arent humans/elves/orcs overused either? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think his problem is more that there was a dragon in half of the H5 factions.
I mean,yes there are also more than orc,elve and human,but those guys are only in their own factions.
For example there are 4 humans,but they are all part of the haven,the human faction.
Then there are 3 orcs,but they are all part of stronghold,the orc faction

But since the dragon don't belong to a specific faction it is just like:
1.developer:"What should be the top-creature of this town?"
2.developer:"Just make it a dragon,they are always cool"

GoranXII
04-20-2011, 06:28 AM
Ok its your oppinion i respect it,but could you more detaly explain the word boring? what makes dragons more boring then Angels/Hydras/Minoutaurs/Any other creature? Okay, should have specified 'western dragon' really since that's the one that generally comes to mind, as for the actual answer, overuse is the main factor really. No matter how good something is, overuse leads to fatigue.

Overusing? dragons are sometimes just creatures sometimes entire race.If dragons are overused arent humans/elves/orcs overused either? Uh, do you want to talk about the the dragons of folklore (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dragons_in_mythology_and_folklore), popular modern dragons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dragons_in_popular_culture), dragons of the silver/small screen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dragons_in_film_and_television), dragons in modern literature (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dragons_in_literature), dragons in games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dragons_in_games), or video games actually about dragons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dragon_video_games)?

Oh, and yes, all those other things are overused as well, although frankly because they're usually either tolkienesque, or anti-tolkienesque.

Thunion
04-20-2011, 10:07 AM
These words remind me the fortress form H5..How you could they screw up dwarves so hard?

But well the reason why in H5 there were so much of dragons is that dragons were gods,and dragon units were kinda aspects of gods.

@GoranXII
The good thing about dragons is that they can be very varied so can be used more then other units,some games are totaly based on dragons becouse they are very popular,however when dragons are poorly done..In H5 we had a 4 Dragons:Bone Dragon everything ok with him pretty unque units,and really diffrent from other dragons.Green Dragon:Typical Dragon a bit unque couse of poision breath,Black Dragon:Typical Dragon to.Lava Dragon:Typical Dragon without wings.Thats the porblem,if game is swarmed with dragons then they either A:Must all be very similar or B:Very unique.The thing i want to say is that dragon may be overused if you know how to use them,i mean they must fell like diffrent units.

However doesnt seem like we gonna get to much dragons in H6 i want Both elf faction to get a dragons,but make them damn diffrent.Dragon is a basic creature for a boss tier in most of games and till game creators cant create anything better,more unque but still "Bossish" Creature i think they should stick with dragons.

Metamagician
04-20-2011, 01:41 PM
And? They're also one of the most boring.

You obviously haven't played King's Bounty: The Legend and its expansions...

GoranXII
04-20-2011, 05:50 PM
But well the reason why in H5 there were so much of dragons is that dragons were gods,and dragon units were kinda aspects of gods. And that dragon-based mythos is about 3/4 of the problem, it provides no room for alternative interpretation as to what the gods are, they're not just powerful beings, no, they're dragons.

@GoranXII
The good thing about dragons is that they can be very varied so can be used more then other units,some games are totaly based on dragons becouse they are very popular,however when dragons are poorly done..In H5 we had a 4 Dragons:Bone Dragon everything ok with him pretty unque units,and really diffrent from other dragons.Green Dragon:Typical Dragon a bit unque couse of poision breath,Black Dragon:Typical Dragon to.Lava Dragon:Typical Dragon without wings.Thats the porblem,if game is swarmed with dragons then they either A:Must all be very similar or B:Very unique.The thing i want to say is that dragon may be overused if you know how to use them,i mean they must fell like diffrent units. And that's the other 1/4 of the problem. Come to think of it, it's not so much dragons I hate as the dragons we tend to get in this series, uber-powerful, with 4 legs and wings, and fiery breath. At least H3 tried to make some differences, with the Fairy and Crystal Dragons. Give me a dragon that lives in a swamp and is tier 5/elite, or a drake (wingless dragon) with a long spiked tail that it swings around, or hells, even a 'Chinese Dragon' would be a refreshing break.

Thunion
04-21-2011, 03:05 AM
even a 'Chinese Dragon' would be a refreshing break.
Wish Granted.Kirin is perfect chinese dragon in my opinion.I would like to see changes in Green and black Dragon,but there is a problem:So far Green Dragon seems to be the only flyer in Sylvan,but if they create new flyer then i would like to see green dragon with cuted wings :P Black Dragon is to famous to be alerted in any way,like it or not,but i can bet there would be a huge uproar if black dragon would be changed to much or even removed.

You obviously haven't played King's Bounty: The Legend and its expansions...
Yeah dragons i have met were all typical western dragons..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4gc1tkEjtw
At start of the video we see 3 diffrent dragons.. all typical diffrent colored western dragons.

BlueLore
04-21-2011, 05:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
These words remind me the fortress form H5..How you could they screw up dwarves so hard?

But well the reason why in H5 there were so much of dragons is that dragons were gods,and dragon units were kinda aspects of gods.

@GoranXII
The good thing about dragons is that they can be very varied so can be used more then other units,some games are totaly based on dragons becouse they are very popular,however when dragons are poorly done..In H5 we had a 4 Dragons:Bone Dragon everything ok with him pretty unque units,and really diffrent from other dragons.Green Dragon:Typical Dragon a bit unque couse of poision breath,Black Dragon:Typical Dragon to.Lava Dragon:Typical Dragon without wings.Thats the porblem,if game is swarmed with dragons then they either A:Must all be very similar or B:Very unique.The thing i want to say is that dragon may be overused if you know how to use them,i mean they must fell like diffrent units.

However doesnt seem like we gonna get to much dragons in H6 i want Both elf faction to get a dragons,but make them damn diffrent.Dragon is a basic creature for a boss tier in most of games and till game creators cant create anything better,more unque but still "Bossish" Creature i think they should stick with dragons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes the dwarves were totally boring.

I think it would be ok to give the sylvan a fairy dragon,who often resemble insects.

GoranXII
04-21-2011, 05:23 AM
Wish Granted.Kirin is perfect chinese dragon in my opinion. Well the Kirin is actually a separate beast altogether, but it could be construed as a Chinese Dragon if it flies.

I would like to see changes in Green and black Dragon,but there is a problem:So far Green Dragon seems to be the only flyer in Sylvan,but if they create new flyer then i would like to see green dragon with cuted wings :P Well the Pixie is a flyer as well, but I see your point. We could Replace it with the Treant maybe, if they'd ever give it some decent abilities, like the ability to tear walls down (reminiscent of the Ents in LotR), or (on upgraded Treants) to be able to project Entangling Roots out a few spaces. Plus that'd leave a space at the Elite level for a flyer.

Black Dragon is to famous to be alerted in any way,like it or not,but i can bet there would be a huge uproar if black dragon would be changed to much or even removed. I don't bet on sure things.

Thunion
04-21-2011, 05:26 AM
I think it would be ok to give the sylvan a fairy dragon,who often resemble insects.
Yeah if we remove another casters apart from druid 2 caster in castle would be good enought.I Think they should try to get unque T3 and so far all look unique,and i guess if they gonna gve sylvan Fairy dragon we can have all new T3 unque to:Titan the only shoter in T3,Black Dragon the only western type dragon,and fairy dragon.

htbrdr
04-21-2011, 09:43 AM
I don't want to see dorfs and conflux. I'm pretty fine with anything else. Dungeon kinda feels mandatory.

leeboy26
04-21-2011, 11:08 AM
The way things are going I reckon the Dungeon faction will be a refuge for all the sexual deviants of Ashan. Units would be like-

Tier one-

Elven Gimp

Elven Gimps cannot move or speak. They are of limited use on the battlefield, but make excellent targets for enemy shooters.

Ability- None.

Tier two-

Dwarven dominatrix

Regular dwarves love salted pork and beer. Certain dwarves, however, prefer bruscetta with tomatoes and a glass of C******nay. These dwarves inevitably end up in the Dungeon towns.

Ability-

You've been baaaad: Target enemy units are berated, causing -3 to morale.

Tier three-

Orc Beast Master

Orcs love wild beasts. These orcs love wild beasts too much.

Ability-

Bestiality: Causes all beasts to flee the beastmaster.

Tier four-

Vampire Foot fetishist

Vampires inspire fear whereever they go. Others inspire revulsion. These are the latter.

Ability-

Blood-suckin' feet-loving freak: Enemy unit loses ability to move for two rounds.

Tier five-

Transgender Paladin

It's hard to demonstrate martial skill and honour when you're mincing around making hilariously inappropriate jokes about the blind knight and his lancing accident with a bent-over priest looking for his spectacles.

Ability- Looking fabulous: All enemy units must pass a heterosexuality test or be stunned/confused for three rounds.

Tier six-

Peeping Tom Pit Fiend

Hell is a fairly liberal place as far as vices go. Even the most laid-back succubus needs her privacy, though. Not if these guys have anything to do with it.

Ability- Teleport: 'It wasn't me!!! I was at home watching the game!!!'

Tier seven-

Paedophile Titans

Titans love to give kids rides on their shoulders, but some seem a little more generous than others. Let's just say it's hard to hide an erection when you're 50ft tall.

Ability- Crush witnesses: When it seems like the net is closing in on your activities, crush a single enemy to stop them going to John Law.

---------------------------

I haven't copyrighted any this absolute gold so it's free, Black hole entertainment, FREE.

belgarath21
04-23-2011, 02:00 PM
I think both elves and dwarves are vital components of a good fantasy world. I also think they should be included (eventually) in the HOMM 6. For one thing, they are part of HOMM 5 and I don't see anything in the various Ubisoft timelines that indicate that elves and dwarves are recent arrivals to Ashan. I think the idea of a unified elf faction that has not yet split into elves and drow has merit. I don't rember the dates on the timeline for the elf/drow split.

The wizard faction, of course, is also important and the existence of necromancers in HOMM 6 requires the existence of a wizard faction (since that is the origin of the necromancers). Wizards also created the orcs and beastmen of the Stronghold faction)

In sum, I think we need three or four additional factions: A unified (or split) elf faction(s); a wizard faction (presumably human in ethnicity) and a dwarven faction. The wizard, dwarf and elf factions would be based (more or less) in good or neutral magic. Drow (if included)would of course be evil.

Now to units,

I think a great flying unit for dwarves would be rocs (giant eagles). You could also just say that dwarves teleport, but I like adding animal type units to the factions. I think that pegasi would be a great mounted unit for elves. Drow could be mounted on wyverns if they are included.

I think the wizard faction should have predominantly manufactured units (perhaps with gremlins as assistants. The revolt (for good reason)of the orcs and beastmen may have prompted the wizards to focus on machine servants (golems, gargoyles...etc). Elemental summoning is also a common tool for wizards in the D and D world and some elementals could be included in the wizard faction instead of being neutral.

I like the idea of bears as a mount for dwarves (along with rocs, this would give dwarves two mounted units).

The drow faction (if included) would combine features of the labyrinth and fortress factions from HOMM III. The drow's allies would be primarily reptilian in nature (basilisk, wyvern, hydra, lizardmen?, evil dragons).

If it was decided to include hobbits (halflings) they could be a tier 1 or 2 unit allied with elves. They could essentially replace pixies in the elven army, sacrificing a flying unit for a ranged one. Of course, hobbits are not part of the HOMM 5 game. I also don't consider them essential to Ashan.

You could also make a dark human faction with more violent units, but I think that's overkill. Conversely, you could go the HOMM 5 route and make dark humans as an optional upgrade. To be honest, I don't like optional upgrades. I think the game is complicated enough with each faction having 14 (7 tiers plus upgrades) different units to put into an army.

I like the idea of the naga being a separate water-based faction. It would be nice to know why they aren't part of the HOMM 5 world, however.

I suspect that Ubisoft is planning on two expansions, since that is the number of expansions for the past 3 HOMM games. I would like to see elves and wizards in the first expansion. Dwarves (and drow if desired) could be included in the second expansion.

Of course, Ubisoft could choose to just frequently update the game with DLC and not make discrete expansion packs. This would annoy me since I don't typically have internet access at home.

Just a few observations,

BlueLore
04-24-2011, 05:23 AM
I think you have some good points,I also think,that rocs would be a great flying unit,especially since the dwarves need more variety(seriously 6 dwarves and 1 dragon was really lame),so they should include more different units,like giants or maybe even a yeti.

I disagree,that elementals should be part of the wizard faction,I mean which of the six(since there are now also light and dark elementals in h6)should be part of the wizard faction and which not?But I could see the wizard with units like a chimera or so,since it is known that the wizards also create new living species(this is said in the description of the lamassu which is a failed attempt to do this).

I also think,that as long the fortress of H3 doesn't return(which is quite unlikely),that they can mix it with the dungeon and replace some of the dark elve units with some lizards.

the hobbits,or halflings would be better in my opinion as a part of the dwarf faction,I mean,ok they don't really live in the mountains or so,but I think they and the dwarves match together,they could be represented as a special kind of dwarf(like goblins are a special kind of orcs).

But I don't think that every faction needs a mount unit,I think sometimes the creature itself(like a wyvern) is enough to be unithttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

I also hope,that they don't make alternative upgrades.
I mean instead of making over 50 new upgraded units,they could have easily added one or maybe even two more factions.

PS:Why are you calling the dark elves drow?

belgarath21
04-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Wow, that was a great response, thanks BlueLore!

I agree with you about dwarven variety. I hadn't though of yeti, but I think that would work well. Hobbits could also work well as a dwarven allied unit (hobbits tend to live in hilly regions in Middle Earth). I actually considered the Great Thanes to be a dwarven giant (yes, that's an oxymoron).

You have a good point about the elementals. Every faction seems to be allied with 1 type of element. I was just trying to think of ways to give wizards variety. It's certainly feasible that the revolt of the orcs and beastmen wouldn't have completely ended the wizard experiments with living things. (it's also possible that not all of their creations revolted).

I also agree with you that not everyone needs a mount. I guess I'm just trying to pay homage to the importance of cavalry in real-world history.

I'm glad you agree with me about the upgrades. One of the most fun things (in my opinion) about a fantasy environment is the huge diversity. I think creating many variations of essentially the same unit is counter-productive.

I call dark elves drow because I'm 36 years old and an old Dungeons and Dragons player. I've played both pen and paper games and computer games. Drow is the name given to dark elves in Dungeons and Dragons. Of course, the dark elves in Ashan aren't exactly the same as in Dungeons and Dragons and "dark elves" is a more accurate name.