PDA

View Full Version : Buffer overrun error fixed?

Yarsnez
11-23-2007, 03:31 PM
I own CM10 and gave up using it because I kept getting Buffer overrun error. Tech support gave up assisting me, and I noticed several other people suffered with the problem. Other chess programs run just fine on my PC's, so it's an issue with CM10. Has anybody suffered the same with the latest version? I wont be buying it myself as think that the problem should have been fixed in the previous version, and don't like the idea that tech support just ignored the issue. I appreciate the program is probably good for learning, but I dislike buying software with a major bug that is not fixed. I do hope that new users have better luck with this version.

Yarsnez.

Yarsnez
11-25-2007, 04:30 AM
I guess nobody has experienced the problem? Maybe it has been fixed then? It used to occur when setting up a position and asking CM10 to analyse the position on the infinite level. After a couple of minutes the 'Buffer overrun' error would appear and CM would then shut down.
Very annoying. Hopefully it has been fixed in this latest version.

Yarsnez
11-25-2007, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the link. It's amazing to me that they have not bothered to fix the problem, not even in the new version! Still, I guess it's a learning chess tool and not one for positional analysis. Strange though that it contains a chess engine that is reasonably high rated and is let down by this flaw in the mentor lines option. CM9K worked fine.
I know from CM10K that the actual chess engine was still running in the background even after CM shut down. So probably the actual chess engine was ok, and let down by the user interface.