PDA

View Full Version : P-51 gear doors modeled wrong?

Freiwillige
11-12-2008, 09:12 AM
I noticed that when extending the landing gears on the P-51 the inner gear doors dont stay down but retract back up after the gear is down and locked. But after watching the history channel (Showdown air combat) I noticed that the P-51D parked behind the guy talking had its gear doors down.
Did some mustangs have them left down while others didnt?

Freiwillige
11-12-2008, 09:12 AM
I noticed that when extending the landing gears on the P-51 the inner gear doors dont stay down but retract back up after the gear is down and locked. But after watching the history channel (Showdown air combat) I noticed that the P-51D parked behind the guy talking had its gear doors down.
Did some mustangs have them left down while others didnt?

VF-17_Jolly
11-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Hydralic pressure, after a while the pressure bleeds out and the doors drop also when the engine is started the system is re-pressurized and the doors close

Does not really need to be modeled in the sim

Divine-Wind
11-12-2008, 11:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Freiwillige:
Did some mustangs have them left down while others didnt? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Maybe they pulled the doors down? Or maybe they just fell open one day and they couldn't get them to stay closed again? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Crikey2008
11-12-2008, 08:57 PM
This is just speculation...but perhaps the Allison-engined P-51's had to have their landing gear engineered differently to the Merlin P-51s.

Aside to the P-47:

the landing gear of the P-47 was a triumph of engineering in itself because the constant modifications in its development (especially the accomodation of its turbcharger and huge piping into the fusealge and the engine cowling growing bigger with each bigger engine) saw the wing roots eventually become above its fuselage bottom. The result was that since the P-47 needed ground clearance for its huge (mandatory) prop it had tall landing gear which needed an engineerinf fix to retract back into the wing roots.

Back to the P-51:

Conversely the P-51 lies lower on the ground (lower than average I think) and has a narrower wheel track than the P-47 while still retracting inwards to the wing roots.
perhaps similar difficulties of landing gear engineering as in the P-47 were encounterd in the Allison P-51 models or conversely in the Merlin models.

When the Merlin engine was mounted (I'm assuming its bigger than the Allison - correct me if I'm wrong)) it may have resulted in different landing gear engineering compared to the Allison P-51's. The result may have been that the Allison P-51 had retracting doors while the Merlin P-51's did not need them.

To be noted is that both the P-47 and the P-51 have fuselage profiles that certainly (in the case of the P-47) and effectively (in the case of the P-51) have the wing roots above their fuselage bottom.

Freiwillige
11-13-2008, 08:51 AM
I think VF-17 Jolly has it correct http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Bo_Nidle
11-15-2008, 01:39 AM
Vf17 is right. The doors and flaps lower due to the bleed-off of hydraulic pressure.

jarink
11-15-2008, 01:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Crikey2008:
This is just speculation...but perhaps the Allison-engined P-51's had to have their landing gear engineered differently to the Merlin P-51s. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the gear was redesigned for the D/K. The Allison versions (A-36, P-51A) and the P-51B/C had basically the same gear and door latching mechanisms.

VF-17 Jolly is correct.