PDA

View Full Version : Java and ActiveX in my game?

silent_jackl
12-06-2004, 03:10 AM
most of us that play online alot have been aware , and very curiouse as to why il2 is useing java. but alot of us are afriad to ask for fear they might find out something they dont want to hear. i know alot of you out there have been in your console durring online play and have seen something that looks like web adresses or messeges that say java something in them.

i am very curiouse as to why java and activex are in this game. someone please shed some light on this.

i could be wrong about the exact reasons that il2 needs java or activex to run. but from my experience, java and activex have always been used to make some 3rd party software work with certain online applications. (not online game)

alot of us in the community are concerned about this. oleg. please dont tell me that you have some central terminal that monitors any computer that runs your game online (as alot of us suspect). please tell me im just being paraniod. .. but above all.. please just tell me the truth.

i have done some pocking around in my il2 directory to isolate these java activex files/exes. and i have found that a good majority of these files are not neccessary to run my game online or offline. as a matter of fact. i have found that the game runs smoother without so many freez ups.

please respond to me in some manor. if i have found something that shouldnt be known by players, please tell me. either by private messeges or even e-mail. just please tell me..

thank you for your time. and have a great day

e-mail you can use ----> ( ali_abeab@yahoo.com )

joeap
12-06-2004, 05:18 PM
Theme from Twilight zone....
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

lbhskier37
12-06-2004, 09:13 PM
Java is a programing language, I believe all the menu screens are programed in Java. I don't know much about activeX though.

VW-IceFire
12-06-2004, 09:22 PM
Is there ActiveX even in the game? Where's the URL's or IP addresses that you supposedly see? Been in the console alot....never seen anything out of the ordinary.

I'll take that first responder: Theme from the Twilight Zone!

willyvic
12-06-2004, 09:31 PM
The java files are in your bin folder. They are needed to run PF. They are also added during the merged install. Not needed. Program runs fine without them (merged game only).

I suspect it is used in the "newer" engine introduced with PF.

But then I could be out to lunch again.

Bottom line, ain't no conspiracy going on here.

WV

BM357_Hawki
12-07-2004, 07:53 PM
I believe that the java program is used to run the screens for the full mission builder. The scroll bars act as if they are java objects but I could be wrong. Active x is a comm technology that allows programmers to code processes into their own litte programs that can be inserted into any program using the microsoft comm interface.

Many company's provide active x controls to other companies to provide functions that would take many development months to code themselves.
Take for example an internet suite of controls that allows you just to just write one line of code that performs a thousand lines of code that was writted by someone else lets say to provide internet access for a game.Or a graphics suite of controls that allows a programmer to insert 3d functionality into his program without writing any 3d code himself.

Microsoft packages many active x controls in their development suites for programmers to use.
When you see a text box on a screen that is an active x control that has been added to the program window and provides the functionality that would have taken be days to be written in another language. Same goes for the scroll bars the labels, status bars etc.

Hope I didn't bore you all on this LOL
Happy Flying

VW-IceFire
12-07-2004, 09:43 PM
Where are they? Or what evidence do you have that they are there? Or that the java portions are doing something suspect.

I'm intrigued by the subject (code in games in general) but highly skeptical.

PriK
12-07-2004, 11:10 PM
My understanding is that much of the IL2 engine is written with java partly because of it's age and that Oleg will be programming the BoB engine completely with ActiveX which should make things much more efficient.

The IL2 engine was never originally designed to do as much as it is doing now and by necessity of time restraints has many bolted on pieces of code much like some teenager's beefed-up '88 Honda Civic. You can get alot more out of it than stock but perhaps not as efficiently as you would with a newer specifically designed sport compact. Gotta love those nutty car analogies, eh? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I highly doubt there is any big secret in this for one thing, or that Oleg is using it to spy on you through your webcam. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif