PDA

View Full Version : New B-25 skip-bombing campaign

Zeus-cat
12-17-2008, 10:16 PM
My latest (and last) campaign is coming to M4T soon. Here is the briefing from the first mission.

Mission by Zeus-cat

Colonel Arthur B. Bopp - what a moron! It's not your fault the squadron hasn't sunk any ships in three weeks. Hell, you haven't even seen a Jap ship in three weeks. The damn enemy is never where the colonel sends you; how are you supposed to sink anything? If this is anybody's fault, it has to be the colonel's. It's his damn intel that's lousy.

Relieving you of command was one thing, but to call you a coward was too much. It's too bad you missed the SOB when you took a swing at him for that coward comment he made; especially since that swing cost you your command. But then the bastard wouldn't even court martial you to give you a chance to defend yourself. Instead, he gave you the worst job a combat pilot can be stuck with; running the mail between bases.

Maybe he's just trying to kill ya; the damn mail plane is barely airworthy. The compass works when it wants to. The fuel gauges are unreliable. The tires should have been replaced twenty landings ago and the engines sound terrible. As the colonel said, like you, she's only fit to fly mail.

And what a day; to fly; rain, rain, rain! Crap, what was it the private at the weather shack said? A bad rain squall is between us and the forward base you have to deliver the mail to. Bad enough that the mail plane probably wouldn't make it through the worst of it. So instead of flying direct you have to fly out to sector BA/1 (course 263) and then up to the forward base (Batu Pahat) (course 340) in AY/8. Since the compass can't be trusted you need to stay under the clouds to keep an eye on the coast as long as you can. 9 or 10 minutes after leaving the coast behind you can make your turn and try to find the other base.

Of course, the question as to why are you flying a piece of junk airplane to an abandoned airfield never came up. If the damn thing is to close to enemy lines to be used for a regular airfield, why are they sending you there in an unarmed plane to deliver a few sacks of mail???

Fuel: ?
Weather: Rain
Time: 1645
Altitude: 1,500 feet
Loadout: 10 sacks of mail

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/Zeus-cat/mission1.jpg
Just your luck that you spot an enemy convoy when you are only armed with 10 sacks of mail! Will you have time to fly to your destination, find some bombs, load them and return to attack the enemy?

Divine-Wind
12-17-2008, 11:49 PM
Can't wait http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

FlatSpinMan
12-18-2008, 05:32 AM
You always come out of left-field, Zeus-cat. You and Dubbo really have an interesting angle on things. great briefing, great set-up.
BTW, I hear that Col. B. Bop is a complete a-hole. It's common knowledge throughout the entire K9 squadrons organisation http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif .

Urufu_Shinjiro
12-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Why your last campaign?

Zeus-cat
12-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Why your last campaign?

Campaigns are a lot of work and I don't feel like putting in the effort to finish the ones that I have not completed.

About a year ago I posted on this forum that I was working on a B-25 skip bombing campaign and the first comment the post got was that it was a shame I wasn't making a high altitude bombing campaign. I shelved the project for several months after that.

It takes 100's of hours to make each of these campaigns and close to 99% of the people that download them never even bother to say thank you or post a review or do anything. I've made that comment before and I've had people post that they would never bother to take the time to say thank you and I should just be happy they downloaded it. In summary, apathy has set in and I just can't find the energy to finish any of the other things I have started. If I do anything in the FMB it will building single missions for my squadron.

ffb
12-18-2008, 04:11 PM
That sounds pretty normal to me.....
I've been building missions and putting them out for download for years now....and hardly a comment.
Using the nickname 'loon' I sent them to the Ubi missions section... Sturmovik Technika.... Air Warfare....Mission4today

I make them for my own enjoyment....and then if they're any good share them

looking forward to this...I like the B-25 and also skip-bombing
Thanks for your work

Urufu_Shinjiro
12-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Well that's a bummer Zeus-cat, whether they say so or not, I know there will be plenty of folks that will miss your work.

mandrill7
12-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Campaign making is a high burnout art form, I guess. My hat's off to Poltava and PhilK who keep putting stuff out there.

I find I can do two or maybe three campaigns and then I need to take a long break. The lack of response is part of it. But it's also just very labour-intensive and draining.

Hopefully, Zeus-cat will feel better about things in a few months. I for one am glad he did this campaign and will be d/l-ing it as soon as it's avail.

crucislancer
12-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
It takes 100's of hours to make each of these campaigns and close to 99% of the people that download them never even bother to say thank you or post a review or do anything. I've made that comment before and I've had people post that they would never bother to take the time to say thank you and I should just be happy they downloaded it. In summary, apathy has set in and I just can't find the energy to finish any of the other things I have started. If I do anything in the FMB it will building single missions for my squadron.

How disrespectful for someone to say that to you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

IMHO, you make some great campaigns, and obviously put a lot of thought into them. Just looking at the reviews that you have received says that much, and having played a couple of your campaigns I've experienced that for myself. If I haven't said thank you in the past, then I apologize. I understand wanting to have some feedback, as a musician I look for the same thing every time I play a gig or record.

You, and every other mission maker, have my respect. I've tried my hand at it, and it's hard work. I posted a single mission on M4T some time ago, and I have 3 or 4 campaigns in the works, but with research, laying objects, briefings and so forth.........ton of work there.

Anyway, sorry to hear that you are backing away from it.