PDA

View Full Version : OT RAF Jaguar to be withdrawn next week...



ARCHIE_CALVERT
04-24-2007, 02:12 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Taken from Pprune.org:

"Jaguar Farewell
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today I announced to the members of 6 Squadron that the Jaguar OSD is to
be brought forward to 30 Apr 07. All operationally orientated training
will cease on this date and the Jaguar will no longer be a deployable
Force Element. Delivery of the airframes to Cosford will then commence and
I have been instructed that any ceremonial flying must be concluded during
May.

Naturally, this comes as a great disappointment to all members of the
Jaguar Force. I do not consider it feasible to organise an event to
celebrate 33 years of stalwart service with due gravity with only 5 weeks
notice. I am also conscious that such short notice would compromise
attendance.

I have therefore elected to organise the final Jaguar Farewell for the
weekend of 29 Jun – 1 Jul 07, reluctantly accepting that this will be
without the nostalgia of RAF Jaguar flying.

Despite the short notice, I am determined to do justice to an aircraft
that has enjoyed, uniquely, such long and extensive RAF service and a
Force that has long been characterised by its easy camaraderie but
indomitable spirit.

A programme of events is therefore already shaping up that will allow all
current and ex-Jaguar RAF personnel to celebrate their association and
affection for this remarkable aircraft and the ethos that has come to
surround it. The Jaguar Force only relocated to RAF Coningsby in April 06
and the weekend of 29 Jun – 1 Jul will also provide an opportunity to
formally thank the families of the current Jag Force for their steadfast
support and loyal endurance of the associated domestic turbulence.

An aircraft enthusiasts' day on Fri 29 Jun will be based around
invitations to all RAF ex-Jaguar squadrons to fly their current types into
RAF Coningsby; invitations are also being extended to the French AF and
representation sought from friendly international operators of the Jaguar,
such as Oman and India, and those nations that have contributed exchange
pilots. As is traditional, Happy Hour will be held in the Officers' Mess.

On Sat 30 Jun, the Squadron accommodation will be open and there will be
an opportunity to view the last 2 remaining RAF Jaguars and the visiting
aircraft, while also enjoying a number of flying displays. The main event
will be the ˜End of Jaguar Ball' in the evening; it is hoped that all 3
messes will hold functions so that all ranks can participate equally.

The short notice is most regrettable and will undoubtedly inconvenience
many, but this is due to circumstances beyond our control and, for
perspective, I would ask that a thought is spared for the immediate
uncertainty that now faces the current Force.

Despite the short notice, I am confident that many will take this last
opportunity to celebrate their membership of such an exclusive cadre and I
encourage all to book early to avoid disappointment as Mess capacity will
inevitably limit numbers. Early notice will also ease substantially the
administrative burden of this venture! Therefore, any serving and
ex-serving Jaguar personnel who may like to attend any or all of the
proposed celebrations should forward their contact details to 6 Sqn as
follows:

Jaguar Retirement Celebrations
6 Sqn
RAF Coningsby
Lincolnshire
LN4 4SY

External email:

Internal email: CON-6Sqn-JagRet Grp Mail

Tel - 01526 34 6496
Fax - 01526 346499

Initial contact details must be received by 31 May to enable event details
to be dispatched and final payment to be received by 15 Jun. The Officers'
Mess Ball will cost £45 for each ex-Jaguar officer and the same price
levied for the first guest; additional guests will be subject to approval
and will attract a higher fee. Please consider sending your attendance
money along with your initial contact details as this will further
streamline the process at a time when our main effort is, clearly, to
secure the future of our serving personnel.

Finally, please forward these details to any other ex-Jaguar personnel
that you are still in contact with to enable maximum attendance. I look
forward to seeing you at what should be a memorable, if slightly sad,
weekend of celebrations.

John Sullivan
OC6

http://www.echo-soft.com/spotters/wales_200603/Jaguar%20T4%20UK%206%20Sqn%20%20RAF%20Coltishall%2 0EZ%20_MG_8272.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/Jaguar.sideon.arp.jpg

http://www.raf.mod.uk/telic/images/colt01.jpg

http://www.raf.mod.uk/telic/images/colt02.jpg

http://www.nato.int/pictures/database/large/b00332.jpg

http://www.afsouth.nato.int/images/JAGUARA.jpg

Start getting use to seeing Jaguars like this from now on...

http://www.gatwick-aviation-museum.co.uk/jaguar/graphics/jag24.jpg

OD_79
04-24-2007, 02:55 PM
How can Eurofighter replace that??? The MoD is stupid.

OD.

Taylortony
04-24-2007, 02:55 PM
ohhh better get my name down for this then.......... I have flown Aerobatics in a T'Bird as shown in your pic over Gibralter and served on them for 3 years in Germany..

I wasn't on sh*ttysix as shown though, served on 20 Sqn and 14 Sqn http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Here am I on 20 Sqn and I aint telling u which one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif


http://mysite.orange.co.uk/il2_skinners_guides/20_SQN.jpg


Ohh and although the whole Squadron aircraft compliment is shown, believe me we borrowed some and a judicious addition of some masking tape changed the markings of the other squadrons codes to ours http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif as some of the fleet was on major inspections...... I was one of the last 3 members of the Squadron as I was on QRA when the Squadron disbanded and watched the parade through a barbed wire fence............. we were met with Champagne served by the Station Commander when we finished the last operational commitment for the squadron and the Wing commander OC who I still think was the biggest waste of space the world ever knew, Di*k by name and D*ck by nature............ 14 Sqn was a much better squadron and I enjoyed that part of my tour.

ploughman
04-24-2007, 03:10 PM
That blows. I thought they'd just gotten a load of shiny new avionics, or did I just dream that?

Taylortony
04-24-2007, 04:24 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Jackonicko/Jagsurprise.png

BillyTheKid_22
04-24-2007, 04:45 PM
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Aircraft/Models/Paintings/Jag-Attack.jpg



http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Bo_Nidle
04-24-2007, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Taylortony:
ohhh better get my name down for this then.......... I have flown Aerobatics in a T'Bird as shown in your pic over Gibralter and served on them for 3 years in Germany..

I wasn't on sh*ttysix as shown though, served on 20 Sqn and 14 Sqn http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Here am I on 20 Sqn and I aint telling u which one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif


http://mysite.orange.co.uk/il2_skinners_guides/20_SQN.jpg


Ohh and although the whole Squadron aircraft compliment is shown, believe me we borrowed some and a judicious addition of some masking tape changed the markings of the other squadrons codes to ours http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif as some of the fleet was on major inspections...... I was one of the last 3 members of the Squadron as I was on QRA when the Squadron disbanded and watched the parade through a barbed wire fence............. we were met with Champagne served by the Station Commander when we finished the last operational commitment for the squadron and the Wing commander OC who I still think was the biggest waste of space the world ever knew, Di*k by name and D*ck by nature............ 14 Sqn was a much better squadron and I enjoyed that part of my tour.

AAAARGH!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif "QRA"!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif 814 duties flashback http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif Long time since I saw "Big Ears" (top right of pic)

However I think the Jag was pretty long in the tooth. But you'd think Stalin....sorry...Blair would have a replacement substantially in place BEFORE he scrapped it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

darkhorizon11
04-24-2007, 06:02 PM
All those spare Jags running around? Pfff I'll take one of their hands no questions asked! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Waldo.Pepper
04-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by darkhorizon11:
All those spare Jags running around? Pfff I'll take one of their hands no questions asked! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Could be a tad pricey but here they are already..

http://www.avbuyer.com/AircraftSales/AircraftResults.as...387&NumberPerPage=10 (http://www.avbuyer.com/AircraftSales/AircraftResults.asp?ListId=10&AircraftManufacturerId=1287&subList=1387&NumberPerPage=10)

I remember buying a copy of Air Pictorial in 1973. Inside there was an ad for Shell aviation fuel featuring a Jaguar and the pilot standing beside it all smiling and proud. The caption for the fuel was something like this - "He's got our fuel in his shiney new Jag." I wish I had that ad still. All good things must come to an end. Got some pictures of Gulf War nose art that I shall post later.

EDIT found them online of all places.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/gulf/jaguars.html

WOLFMondo
04-25-2007, 12:46 AM
Nice to know Viz even made it out to Iraq.

ploughman
04-25-2007, 02:44 AM
http://garytakahashi.md/braden/jag3.jpg

HamishUK
04-25-2007, 04:01 AM
That unfortunately doesn't surprise me. i used to fly with 6 squadron (Coltishall). The Harrier GR9 has swallowed up the MLU budget and the squadrons have been converting to Typhoon more recently.

Just dropped an email to John for further details on the do. The Jaguar being retired this early will leave a massive capability gap as the Harrier will have to fill in until the Typhoon comes into being next year.

That said the Jaguar is an old bird. She was very reliable and a loveable beast but he all up weight and lack of CAS capability really was the aircrafts achilles heel.

She will be sorely missed and I had a wonderful 8 years flying her. Now is the time though for a new generation and the Typhoon will be more than capable of taking over the role once Tranch III enters service.

Thanks for keeping me safe old girl.

HamishUK
04-25-2007, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Taylortony:
ohhh better get my name down for this then.......... I have flown Aerobatics in a T'Bird as shown in your pic over Gibralter and served on them for 3 years in Germany..

I wasn't on sh*ttysix as shown though, served on 20 Sqn and 14 Sqn http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif


Oh joy a member of the 'drop shorts' http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Rattler68
04-25-2007, 03:17 PM
One of my favorite planes to model....

jolly_magpie
04-25-2007, 04:31 PM
I got to sit in the cockpit of one of these at an airshow in the late 80's. Cool!!!! And a bit...tight....

Hanglands
04-25-2007, 04:52 PM
Top post ARCHIE_CALVERT.

Although I could never say it quite so eloquently a the person that actually said it to me, I remember hearing that these are the last jets that the pilot actually had to 'pilot', flying breeze blocks were also mentioned.

Taylortony
04-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by HamishUK:
That unfortunately doesn't surprise me. i used to fly with 6 squadron (Coltishall). The Harrier GR9 has swallowed up the MLU budget and the squadrons have been converting to Typhoon more recently.

Just dropped an email to John for further details on the do. The Jaguar being retired this early will leave a massive capability gap as the Harrier will have to fill in until the Typhoon comes into being next year.

That said the Jaguar is an old bird. She was very reliable and a loveable beast but he all up weight and lack of CAS capability really was the aircrafts achilles heel.

She will be sorely missed and I had a wonderful 8 years flying her. Now is the time though for a new generation and the Typhoon will be more than capable of taking over the role once Tranch III enters service.

Thanks for keeping me safe old girl.



Well if you miss em I know of one for sale externally complete for £7500 ish, indeed i can do ya a nice Shar too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The Jag is engineless so will only be down on power marginally http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

http://www.everettaero.com/jaguarstatic.html

HamishUK
04-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Hanglands:
Top post ARCHIE_CALVERT.

Although I could never say it quite so eloquently a the person that actually said it to me, I remember hearing that these are the last jets that the pilot actually had to 'pilot', flying breeze blocks were also mentioned.

The Jaguar is a delight to fly when clean. When in full up combat weight she takes off like a wet sponge.

The Tornado is actually the heavier aircraft to fly even when clean.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
04-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Yup just discussed this with the chaps and we all agree its a great shame to see it go.

Farewell http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Blottogg
04-26-2007, 08:51 PM
Sorry to hear they're retiring the Jag early. We flew with the guys from Coltishall when we were doing "Operation Provide Comfort", and they were great. They could party, too. I missed it, but during one event, they treed at least one French F.1 pilot up a dead Cypress outside the VOQ, then lit said dead Cypress on fire. No one hurt, but that'll teach me to turn in early. And the most striking thing was the next day, when the Jag pilots sounded more rested and alert on the radio than I did.

One of them told us, almost apologetically, "You Americans, you have a bit better kit than we do, but I think we compare more favorably (or favourably) in skill and experience", or words to that effect. I agreed then and now. It was good for us to have them on the team.

HamishUK, it sounds like you feel the same way about the resulting gap in RAF capabilities that I do with the impending F-117 to F-35 gap over here. I really hope neither country needs the older aircrafts' capabilities while we wait patiently for the replacements to show up.

Finally, one of my RAF pilot training classmates realized he'd been in America too long when he expressed to the rest of us his preferred aircraft upon graduation. His words were "I'd like to fly the Jaguar (pronounced "Jag-wahr", instead of "Jag-ew-ar")." Followed by, "Oh hell, now you've got me saying it!"

Hanglands
04-29-2007, 06:40 AM
Hi,

Heres a bunch of clips Ive thrown together from a 1998 documentary on the Jaguar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUwjevno1_Y