PDA

View Full Version : What's the Scoops with starting Ranks?

Wedge598
05-06-2007, 04:07 PM
I was reading through some old posts on the starting ranks for the campaigns and it seemed the consensus was that the rank was just a function how much control you have over other aircraft and your ability to get promoted.

But after trying my first campaign at the highest rank and quickly getting shot down I was wondering if the skill level of the AI is affected as well? It could just be my unfamiliarity with the new aircraft and/or the enemy plane has a performance advantage. But I wanted to ask.

Wedge598
05-06-2007, 04:07 PM
I was reading through some old posts on the starting ranks for the campaigns and it seemed the consensus was that the rank was just a function how much control you have over other aircraft and your ability to get promoted.

But after trying my first campaign at the highest rank and quickly getting shot down I was wondering if the skill level of the AI is affected as well? It could just be my unfamiliarity with the new aircraft and/or the enemy plane has a performance advantage. But I wanted to ask.

DKoor
05-06-2007, 05:04 PM
First off, since you choose to lead your flight, you must be aware that the you must be first to attack the enemy in almost every occasion!
Now, if you can't do that there's no much point in leading other guys (in this case Ai) is it?

When you do not lead, your Ai leader will usually say "Fighters! 1 o clock high!" or something like that usually indicating the imminent problem that your flight needs to deal with. Flight quickly breaks formation and transforms into leader-wingman elements for better combat efficiency.

When you lead your flight you may not spot the enemy fast enough, so they "sneak up" on your flight. In 9/10 cases the battle is already over if that happens (winners are those who spot enemy first, usually).

Of course they will prioritize you on their target list - as you are the leader!
You must have spot some briefings "...target leaders. Russians do not have much experienced bomber pilots..." or something like that if you fly for the Germans.

Actual Ai skill levels have 0% to do with this.

Anyway..... Practice your gunnery and combat maneuvers vs rookie or average fighters in QMB and after a while you'll do a good job.
Stick to one plane so you'll learn very fast.

Wedge598
05-06-2007, 06:06 PM
I'm aware of the responsiblities of the leader and I've been issuing the orders to attack and them making the attack myself. Engaging the enemy isn't the problem.

More specifically I'm trying to do the first combat mission in the USSR VVS campaign. Here I've got a squad of 8 YAK-15 jets and we're charged with protecting 8 IL-10s on a bombing run.

At the target the IL-10's get attacked by a few Ta-152's and we get intercepted by 4 He-162 jets. I've run several Quick missions against these He-162 and find that they can easily outclimb the YAK-15s. They always take the fight vertical and as a result the YAKs can't compete.

I'm starting to think this campaign is over my head by a long shot.

Huxley_S
05-06-2007, 06:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm starting to think this campaign is over my head by a long shot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Start it again at the lowest rank.

Set the difficulty settings to Realistic and then switch on External Views and the Speedbar and if depending on how confident you feel, icons.

At the lowest rank you will be just a wingman. Your job is to stick to the rest of the flight like glue. This can be a bit frustrating in the beginning because your AI buddies tend to accelerate away faster than you. Trimming your aircraft and using WEP helps you keep up, but you can use the autopilot for the first few minutes to get you into formation.

The campaign you have chosen is a long one, and in the course of the campaign as pilots die and your skills improve you will be promoted.

Eventually you will find yourself in a leading role, with the skills to perform that role and the medals to prove it!

It is very rewarding to do it this way http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Huxley_S
05-06-2007, 10:55 PM
Oh yeah... I think this important. Try to play as if you are a real pilot, fighting a real enemy.

You're no good dead, so try to stay alive. Stick with your leaders at all times, if you get lost don't wander around on your own ask ground control for a vector to base and head home. If your plane gets damaged try to either bail out or land over friendly territory otherwise you will be captured.

Eventually you'll get the skills you need to be a flight leader.

DKoor
05-07-2007, 02:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wedge598:
More specifically I'm trying to do the first combat mission in the USSR VVS campaign. Here I've got a squad of 8 YAK-15 jets and we're charged with protecting 8 IL-10s on a bombing run.

At the target the IL-10's get attacked by a few Ta-152's and we get intercepted by 4 He-162 jets. I've run several Quick missions against these He-162 and find that they can easily outclimb the YAK-15s. They always take the fight vertical and as a result the YAKs can't compete.

I'm starting to think this campaign is over my head by a long shot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You must be aware of two facts:
1-Ai cheats (doesn't overheat, doesn't suffer damage from excess speed in dive, no blackout etc.)
2-you are there to protect IL-10's, it's good if you can shot down few E/A's but your main task is that "Monsters" survive their bombing run and make it to the base safely.

If you attack TA-152's and clash with He-162's they will hardy have the chance to attack the bombers and you will succeed. It doesn't matter if you kill any E/A or not.

About Ai climb.... yes in fact you must manage your aircraft 100% right to run down the Ai (assuming that you actually have better climbing plane).... you'll usually overheat like mad while doing so - but don't play their game. Just break off and orbit above IL-10's, protecting them and not chasing Heinkels. Don't worry they will come back to attack, so you'll have another chance to blow some of them off if they make a mistake. Just make sure that you don't get hit when they attack.