PDA

View Full Version : Best prop pitch for planes - esp the seafire

Seafire_Japan
11-25-2004, 12:21 PM
hi

I am looking for some advice on whats the best prop pitch to obtain the best speed, climb and cruise. I know there was a doc around that said, the b109 prop pitch was best set between 24-30 rpms, bf109e no more than 25 rpms. Do see what I mean? I just cannot find it. I want the best prop pitch for the seafire as I cannot get above 230 mph at 17k

The_Great_Stonk
11-25-2004, 01:57 PM
spitfire has a CSP (constant speed prop) so prop pitch is more of an rpm control then anything else best performance is always obtained with 100% the only time you should ever need to lower this is if your nursing a hot engine, or are mid way through a very high speed dive.

stathem
11-25-2004, 02:04 PM
230 mph at 17K is (presumably) Indicated Airspeed, and so seems quite resonable. This varies from true airspeed by quite a margin, dependent on height, and some compilcated stuff that'd take someone far brighter and more experienced than me to explain. Try switching (i know it's a pain) to 'no cockpit' view, there's another dial there that gives true airspeed (only in Km/h thou')

Edi: Doh, just seen the other thread, sorry, I must learn to look b4 opening mouth http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif