PDA

View Full Version : Saitek AV8R

3.JG51_BigBear
12-09-2006, 11:52 AM
More than anything when it comes to flight sims I like to try different joysticks. For the Il2 series alone I've tried the MSFF2, the Logitech Wingman force feedback, the Saitek Evo, the Saitek X-45, the X-52, and for a brief shining moment the CH Combat Stick when a friend went out of the country for business and lent it to me for a week.

Bar none the CH stick was the best. I was never a huge fan of the force feedbacks because they always seemed to throw off my aim (the MS one also agravated a wrist injury I had). I thought I had found a nice mix of functionality, style and ease of use in my X-52 and I was really happy with it for a long time...that was until I bought my AV8R.

I saw the AV8R at a local best buy and immediately thought that its look fit in well with the new "early jet" theme of the 1946 addon. Since I hadn't bought myself a new stick in a while I thought I'd give it a whirl.

I know its technically a downgrade but I love this thing. The spring tension is much higher than the X-52 which in turn leads to more precise control and helps tremendously when aiming at high speeds. The twist rudder is also much stiffer so last minute corrections with the rudder are more controlled. I have to admit, I miss the number of sliders and twist knobs available with the X-52 but since I usually fly the Focke Wulf which only has elevator trim anyway it hasn't been much of a problem (I have my throttle on one of the "throttles" and elevator trim on the other).

The AV8R also has two modes and although its not enough to make the stick HOTA it still holds plenty of commands.

I think this stick is great and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a relatively inexpensive, quality joystick. I'm sure I'll go back to my X-52 soon but the AV8R sure is a lot of fun.

3.JG51_BigBear
12-09-2006, 11:52 AM
More than anything when it comes to flight sims I like to try different joysticks. For the Il2 series alone I've tried the MSFF2, the Logitech Wingman force feedback, the Saitek Evo, the Saitek X-45, the X-52, and for a brief shining moment the CH Combat Stick when a friend went out of the country for business and lent it to me for a week.

Bar none the CH stick was the best. I was never a huge fan of the force feedbacks because they always seemed to throw off my aim (the MS one also agravated a wrist injury I had). I thought I had found a nice mix of functionality, style and ease of use in my X-52 and I was really happy with it for a long time...that was until I bought my AV8R.

I saw the AV8R at a local best buy and immediately thought that its look fit in well with the new "early jet" theme of the 1946 addon. Since I hadn't bought myself a new stick in a while I thought I'd give it a whirl.

I know its technically a downgrade but I love this thing. The spring tension is much higher than the X-52 which in turn leads to more precise control and helps tremendously when aiming at high speeds. The twist rudder is also much stiffer so last minute corrections with the rudder are more controlled. I have to admit, I miss the number of sliders and twist knobs available with the X-52 but since I usually fly the Focke Wulf which only has elevator trim anyway it hasn't been much of a problem (I have my throttle on one of the "throttles" and elevator trim on the other).

The AV8R also has two modes and although its not enough to make the stick HOTA it still holds plenty of commands.

I think this stick is great and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a relatively inexpensive, quality joystick. I'm sure I'll go back to my X-52 soon but the AV8R sure is a lot of fun.

Chivas
12-09-2006, 12:07 PM
You could always use the Aviator in conjunction with the X52 throttle. That way you should have all the control options you need.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://www.war-clouds.com/sigs/jg27chivas.jpg

3.JG51_BigBear
12-09-2006, 02:24 PM
That's a great idea, the thought never even crossed my mind. Thanks.

TC_Stele
12-09-2006, 05:39 PM
I've been looking a lot at the Aviator and considered using it. I have small hands and any of the sticks out there (especially my X-52) feels like I'm wrestling with it most of the time.

I'll head on down and consider investing in this. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

=====================
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9899/il2siggx3.gif

AEF_Vigilant
12-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Thx BigBear for the review.

I've known what I wanted for a while now and my AV8R apparently arrived from New Zealand yesterday (as I couldn't find an Australian distributor who had one yet) but my wife (who has claimed this as my Xmas present from her to me) has hidden it and now I HAVE to wait till Santa arrives...meh

Big thumbs up to the NZ distributor VR Concepts who were easy to deal with and screamed through the order in 6 days - great effort at xmas don't you think.

If you're wondering - the cost including NZ GST and postage converted to $102.00 AUD. I'll update this thread with my excitement once Santa arrives and tells me where the bloody joystick is.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3199/vigilantsigcrczy6.jpg