PDA

View Full Version : In reply to the locked "Looking at this here" Thread

ER_Loyalty
12-17-2004, 03:32 PM
Quote from Pete "Boomer" Bomanni - Falcon 4.0 Binders Edition - Part 5 Appendices - A-2 "A View from the Cockpit"

"I must relate a story told to me by a great pilot named Phil "Hands" Handley.

While flying F-15s out of Germany, Hands had the opportunity to talk to Adolf Galland, the Great WW2 German Ace. Hands told the German ace that it was obvious to him that of Germany's World War 2 fighters, the FW-190 was the superior aircraft based on published performance data. The FW-190 was faster, could turn better and could climb higher than the Me-109, the plane in which Galland had recorded most of his kills. Adolf Galland smiled and said that Handley was correct in his analysis of the two aircraft's relative performances-but wrong in assessment of which aircraft was superior. The Germanace had flown both aircraft and believed that the Me-109 was the superior fighter because "Flying it felt like wearing a glove". It was smooth as silk and easy to control, where as the Fw-190 was difficult and unruly. Galland could fly the Me-109 to his-and its-maximum performance, and this made it the better aircraft. The story underscores the real challenge of creating a superior flight simulation: getting beyond the performance numbers to provide you with the real "feel" of the aircraft." Pete "Boomer" Bomanni

Loyalty Out

crazyivan1970
12-17-2004, 03:50 PM
Loyalty, why do you think i locked that thread? You are not helping, sorry.

faustnik
12-17-2004, 03:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ER_Loyalty:
It was smooth as silk and easy to control, where as the Fw-190 was difficult and unruly. Galland could fly the Me-109 to his-and its-maximum performance, and this made it the better aircraft. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Bf109 was better for Galland. That is all this says.

Willey
12-17-2004, 03:57 PM
He always flew 109s. He had hundreds more hours on it, that gives.

p1ngu666
12-17-2004, 04:03 PM
both potent tbh

ER_Loyalty
12-17-2004, 04:10 PM
I think the point I was trying to make I guess is that US planes may have been better performance wise but each person has their own favorite that feels comfotable to them.

Also I am sorry for re-openeing this, I just thought of that quote when I read it and wanted to share it with that peron that started the thread, not to start trouble.

Sig.Hirsch
12-17-2004, 04:33 PM
If you read , VVS n USAAF , IJN (Sakai mainly) , LW veterans accounts , you will notice , that they always think the best plane is the one they flew lol

That's normal , they survived this hell with these iron birds , so it's llogical that plane consider their plane is the best , also , they couldn't learn from their mistake when flying , cause they were either killed or captured if they did one, and most of the pilots were not using their a/c to the maximum of their capabilities , like we do in the IL-2 FB constantly .

RAF top ace , the French Pierre Clostermann had 400 sorties , from which he encountered the ennemy about 80 times , and really fought like 70 times , and got about 45-50 kills , don't remember well , but that is really not that much (of sorties) , in Il-2 i made like 25000+ sorties , LOL
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

berg417448
12-17-2004, 05:16 PM
Closterman "officially" has 33 kills according to the source I have seen..

Sig.Hirsch
12-17-2004, 05:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by berg417448:
Closterman "officially" has 33 kills according to the source I have seen.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes you are right ,sorry , i was quoting from my memory of last year's reading http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

http://user.tninet.se/~ytm843e/closterm.htm
(it''l be so cool to have the Typhoon and Tempest BTW !! )

cheers,

berg417448
12-17-2004, 05:38 PM
I heard that a Tempest was coming but a Typhoon too? Excellent if true.

HayateAce
12-17-2004, 05:41 PM
"Not better. Just very competitive. That's all a combat pilot needs."

US planes were just as good as any fighter from the era. All planes have their strenghts and weaknesses.

I would just like to see these pros and cons properly done in the US planes. (The fomer Jug and the current P38 are two examples that need/needed work to become realistic representations of what good aircraft they were.