PDA

View Full Version : Explosions and damage

Choctaw111
12-27-2005, 08:16 PM
There is something that I have been meaning to say for a while. When there is an explosion (the 5,000KG Russian bomb works best for this discussion) you can be flying a great distance from the explosion but be instataneously hit by the impact from the explosion. Besides some schrapnel that may hit you from hundreds and yards away(and it still takes schrapnel time to get to you) I am getting the impression that I am being hit by the shockwave as soon as the bomb explodes. The shockwave does not travel that fast (around 800MPH). What am I being hit by when those huge bombs explodes? If I set the Pe8 bomber formation at 2,000 meters altitude and shoot one down he drops his bomb and while I am going around for another pass staying at the same altitude the bomb hits the ground and explodes, immidiately damaging my AC with no time delay till the shockwave or schralnel reach me. Is this something that will be fixed in BoB. I mean will the actual shockwave and the time it takes for the sound to get to you (Not just bombs but all sounds) be modelled in BoB?

Danschnell
12-28-2005, 10:48 AM
I don't think anyone cares. 800mph is still pretty fast, so instant is good enough.

Bremspropeller
12-28-2005, 11:16 AM
Reminds me of the ground-impact explosions (caused by a crashing a/c...you know, the one you just shot down...) that will tare your wing apart. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Zeus-cat
12-28-2005, 01:20 PM
You have a point. The shockwave should take some time to reach a certain distance from the explosion; but I don't think it's that big of a deal really.

In most planes in this sim, a second or two won't get you that far from a really big explosion. Now we can start to argue about how big the shockwave should be, how fast it should disipate, etc. I think it's pretty amazing that they have shockwave damage at all.

Zeus-cat

Ballistic4N6
12-28-2005, 01:44 PM
I found out the hard way not to stick around an A/C when its burning! Was a little too close to a P-39 I had sparked to burn, and it went off in my face..dark screen! I also find that the I16's are real firecrackers when they go off also, when too close.
many times you feel the shock, closer, fuel starts leaking, closer still, damage/death.

What is also really cool, is something I just witnessed off line in the Finnish Fighter series. One of my compatriots in a Gladiator was on the deck finishing off an I16. The I16 went into a river from about 50 meters elevation. The Gladiator was clobbered by the flume of water that when up from the crashing I16, and the Gladiator crashed into the bank!

Sehr COOL!

Friendly_flyer
12-28-2005, 02:11 PM
While a second or two won€t matter for the really big bombs (like the Mistel), it does matter for the smaller bombs, especially if you are flying a fighter-bomber. I guess fixing the speed will take some work, and possibly a bit of frame rates too.

MLudner
12-28-2005, 02:58 PM
MLudner's little brother, Erich, flying a Bf-109G10 in my Ardennes Campaign hit a P-51D at about 30 meters. It blew up and took his port wing with it.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif