PDA

View Full Version : An idiot who can't land on carriers

koniygn
11-10-2004, 07:26 PM
Hi guys,

i have been flying the PF for almost a month and still i've never made a successful carrier landing. any main points / hints / suggestions when landing on a moving carrier?

BTW, the tutorial given in the PF is suck... that seafire does crashes the deck!!! what is luckier than me is that his landing gear didn't break off. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

PS... is there any on-line tables to exchange mph, km/h and knots? the tutorial uses mph, the speed bar uses km/h, but USN planes use knots... it's just driving me nuts http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Tooz_69GIAP
11-10-2004, 07:33 PM
Hey Koniygn,

Glad to see you haven't dumped IL-2 affter all!!

Go to this website (http://www.darts-page.com) and download the instructional movies at the bottom of the page.

These are made by 2GvSAP_Dart and are really informative, and show how to land on the carriers very nicely.

Tooz

LEXX_Luthor
11-10-2004, 07:39 PM
Weird. For me FP is a land based sim only, but last night I finally got around to one of these carrier landing kinda things, A6M2 on Akagi I think. Just a normal FB landing. Now SeaFire may be alot different. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I am seriously getting attracted to the NAVY thing here though. The new island maps are sweet things indeed, especially volcanic Iwo Jima and the coral islands.

You may wish to practice landing with D3A1 (or even try Ki~43). Set carrier waypoints at lol 50 speed and watch the AI Ki~43 just float down on the carrier from behind.

-HH- Beebop
11-10-2004, 07:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by koniygn:
PS... is there any on-line tables to exchange mph, km/h and knots? the tutorial uses mph, the speed bar uses km/h, but USN planes use knots... it's just driving me nuts <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the 'Controls' section you can set a key to toggle between KPH, Knots and MPH.

This is what works for me:
Set yourself up at least a klick away from the carrier at around 250 meters (820 feet), lower you landing flaps, gear and arresting hook. Open the canopy (set key bind in 'Controls' menu) and if in an aircraft that will let you, raise your seat (again, bind a key in the 'contorls' meny). Slow to around 100-120 MPH. Kep a gentle glide path, not to steep nor too flat. If you have too steep of a glide path you will hit the deck too fast and either not hook up, crash or have to reapeat the approach. Too shallow and you will become one with the flight deck. Be careful here, the plane is very near stall speed. Keep the nose high so the hook can catch a wire. As the nose crosses the end of the deck cut the throttle.

Use the missions built into the game as they set you up at the proper height to begin a landing.
Most important, be patient young Jedi, this will take patience and practice. But once you get it, it will be like riding a bicycle.

johann63
11-10-2004, 07:48 PM
what those guys said and also dont forget, you can set a key to cycle the speed bar now from km, indicated air speed and mph

Latico
11-10-2004, 07:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> PS... is there any on-line tables to exchange mph, km/h and knots? the tutorial uses mph, the speed bar uses km/h, but USN planes use knots... it's just driving me nuts <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got to Netwings and checkout the downloads under FB Utilities (or Misc). Scroll way down until you get to a zip file for conversion tables in PDF format.

Sambt
11-10-2004, 09:16 PM
Go to Arming and in the fuel quanity box make sure you choose 25% fuel load. A plane full of fuel is tough to get aboard. It is liken to trying to fly a loaded fuel tanker truck onto a carrier. It can be done but is very difficult. Hope this helps and keep trying you will eventually get the hang of it. Sam

Hiriyu
11-10-2004, 09:41 PM
Beebop is spot on: 1 Kl out, 250m Alt, gear & hook down, increase flaps and/or throttle as needed as you approach. Pull back fairly hard on touchdown - you're there. I haven't had any need to open canopy or raise seat, just make sure that you set your chocks once down and taxi'd.

Fliger747
11-10-2004, 10:35 PM
Go over to simouthouse, IL/FB/PF forum and there is a little strip I did on landing the F4U on the carrier. Some of the other planes are easier, try the F4F. The biggest problem is keeping the deck in view, so look at some of the picks from sucessfull pix that I posted.

The main deal is learning speed and path control. For the F4F, 70 knots works well as an approach speed, be sure not to get too low. Do a 'track' video on your approaches to anaylize where you are having a problem.

Good luck!

F4U_Flyer
11-10-2004, 10:39 PM
for th F4U-1A Ive got it down to a science now. Go abeam at 40-60% throttle drop flaps to combat , about 200 mph . Hit takeoff flaps and turn 90 degrees to line up with the carrier when straight drop flaps to landing . As you approach use the throttle to keep about 140 mph , drop gear and tailhook ( so you dont forget ) . line up with a slight angle to the carrier and drop throttle to 40% , you should be about 100 - 120 mph . Approach at 100 to 120 ft and as you lose the carrier by the nose cut throttle and touch wheels then drop the tail and catch the hook ( three point touches make you bounce ) .Dont try to catch one of the last three lines or you will drop over the front of the carrier! Piece of cake!

ucanfly
11-10-2004, 11:17 PM
A circle approach is the easiest especially on planes where you can't raise the seat (like F6F). YOu'll always keep the deck in view until the last possible moment that way. DOn't come in too low and watch your speed (about 100 mph) and flair just before you hit to get that tailhook to catch.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you start your landing while your still 90 degrees off the deck. Don't wait till your on short final to make adjustments!

EagleDeer
11-11-2004, 03:12 AM
If you want to land the F4U properly, you should fly a descending turn until touch down. Only way to keep the landing deck and (irl) the LSO in sight. Start the turn when the wake is just in front of the wing.

gwanna
11-11-2004, 03:34 AM
I LURVE carrier landings and I suppose I was one of the lucky ones that got the FB ones pretty good almost straight away. However I still took the odd spill and wanted to improve my chances of surviving after a long mission.

So what I still do quite often is record my landing (win lose or draw)and view it from different angles afterwards including side on and 3/4 view to see how I am approaching etc.

This recording and replaying from any view instead of only the view you flew from, not only makes for great movies as we have seen, but helps greatly with figuring where you are going wrong.

BTW my two favourite clips at the moment are REQUIEM and Stranger1. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

AWL_Spinner
11-11-2004, 04:43 AM
I have a track of me landing a wounded Spitfire on a moving carrier after loosing the engine quite a way out if anyone's interested. The landing's not pretty but it's good fun and good practice getting a plane down safely with a windmilling prop!

Back on topic I found the training tracks in PF to be very useful, and by and large I land in much the same way as they suggest, when you can make a decent circuit and set yourself up well on final approach everytime the landings get a lot easier!

Cheers, Spinner