PDA

View Full Version : An introduction and a some quck questions

csthopper
08-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Just wanted to say hi to everyone out there. I've been playing the IL2 series for nearly 3 years now and can't get enough. I finally bought 1946 and have been losing sleep matching up plane after plane in the quick missions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Since I only had the original IL2, I'm taken aback by the AI improvements in 1946. Before i could win every engagement in every aircraft against the ACE AI. Now in 1946 im getting spanked by the ACE AI...fun stuff.

So now I have a couple of questions i hope you folks can help me with.

For now, I'm not using complex engine management. I assume letting the AI handle the engine management means i don't mess with mixture, prop-pitch, and boast stages, correct? Is the AI handling these feature perfectly, or am i loosing out by not forcing myself to manage these parameters myself?

The above question might be the answer to this question but...I'm finding that when i 1v1 a P-51D and a BF-109 (forgot which model but later 1944 series), whichever fighter i pick, the AI always seems to be faster and out climb me. I'll chase the other plane for 20 minutes and they will continue to get farther away. So i switch planes thinking i got the slower plane and the AI does the same thing to me in the other plane?? grrrr.

Also, sorry if these topic have been discussed in detail, this is a huge forum and its a little tuff to search out topics.

Thanks

csthopper
08-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Just wanted to say hi to everyone out there. I've been playing the IL2 series for nearly 3 years now and can't get enough. I finally bought 1946 and have been losing sleep matching up plane after plane in the quick missions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Since I only had the original IL2, I'm taken aback by the AI improvements in 1946. Before i could win every engagement in every aircraft against the ACE AI. Now in 1946 im getting spanked by the ACE AI...fun stuff.

So now I have a couple of questions i hope you folks can help me with.

For now, I'm not using complex engine management. I assume letting the AI handle the engine management means i don't mess with mixture, prop-pitch, and boast stages, correct? Is the AI handling these feature perfectly, or am i loosing out by not forcing myself to manage these parameters myself?

The above question might be the answer to this question but...I'm finding that when i 1v1 a P-51D and a BF-109 (forgot which model but later 1944 series), whichever fighter i pick, the AI always seems to be faster and out climb me. I'll chase the other plane for 20 minutes and they will continue to get farther away. So i switch planes thinking i got the slower plane and the AI does the same thing to me in the other plane?? grrrr.

Also, sorry if these topic have been discussed in detail, this is a huge forum and its a little tuff to search out topics.

Thanks

p-11.cAce
08-09-2007, 08:56 AM
This is a hot-button issue around here and you will get lots of conflicting info - take this as my 2 cents:
Some people think the AI cheats - it uses a simplified FM so they don't overheat and such. However the AI cannot maneuver any differently than you can (they can't turn tighter, climb better, or go faster). I don't think "cheat" is the proper term for the AI, it just flies very well - always coordinated, always proper rad/flap/CEM settings.

I think you will find that as you practice more and read up on things like flying a proper intercept course, NOT putting your nose on the target (you will NEVER catch up doing that), and using small, smooth control inputs you will see vast improvements.

DuxCorvan
08-09-2007, 09:11 AM
AI cheats.

I mean, they may use the same FMs than your plane, but they:

1) Don't overheat, nor 'kill' their engines, so they can fly with boost power for years.

2) They don't bleed energy the same than you do.

3) They don't have G effects making them blank or redden-out.

4) They don't have overspeed structural damage. They can dive forever at max speed even in the weakest planes, without breaking apart.

5) They have some 'interesting' "warp" power, that allows them to accelerate like Millenium Falcon when they detect enemy activity.

6) They never stall or spin, except in heavy damage, so they can make crazy turns without losing control or bleeding much energy.

7) While they suck at deflection shots, their accuracy in headshots at long distance is sniper-like.

8) AI gunners in bombers are equipped with Robocop aim abilities. Sometimes they will get you even thru their fuselages.

9) They always know where you are.

It must be a bit this way so they are a challenge and not a bore to fight with, but IMHO sometimes it is a bit over the top, ruining immersion and making some historical tactics irrelevant and less important than pure arcade skills.

It is more or less annoying for most offline players, that, to avoid its shortcomings, instead of really improving it, they just have let AI to act UFO in some areas.

csthopper
08-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Thanks guys. That list of 9 is hilarious because i have personally witness each of those myself and have had choice words with the AI. Especially the AI not blacking out, and the bomber gunners being snipers. And man do i wish you could tell the AI not to shoot at you during the first head on pass. I spend all my energy avoiding his lasers on that first pass..haha

buzzsaw1939
08-09-2007, 09:38 AM
LOL....I don't know if your right, or just joking, but it sure seems that way, sometimes just irritating as h**l. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

T_O_A_D
08-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Dux you forgot

10) They know your convergence

csthopper
08-09-2007, 12:23 PM
That does make it an official top 10 list...now just send it off to Letterman