PDA

View Full Version : Yet another WOBBLE question.

RedBurn29
02-15-2006, 07:41 PM
Here is the long and short of it: I played IL2 up until a month or so prior to the 4.02 patch was introduced. I sold my gear (CH and Track IR setup) and swore off flight sims and gaming for a while. I still kept an eye on the various forums and read the various opinions of the 4.02 flight model and the noteable "wobble" that some were experincing.

I reinstalled the game (and ordered another CH and Track IR setup). Last night I fired up the game for the first time in a very long time. Using my old Logitech twist stick I gave it a go.

Frankly I am a little freaked out. Some of it may just be that I am used to a better stick/pedals setup but man oh man I noticed any rudder input sents the nose in a bouncing wobble that takes a while to settle down. To point rudder is almost out of the question. I checked 3rd person view and the rudder input appears to give a VERY acute and immediate wobble. Also it seems very difficult to strafe any ground targets (I did not try any A2A ) As soon as I key off the guns or cannons for a quick burst to nose starts bobbing all around.

Is this normal and what this new 4.03 is all about? I guess I can (will have to) get used to it but holy smokes... not much fun. I have seem plenty of gun cam fotage and the reaction to the nose of target is unlike anything I have seen.

Any input appreciated. RedBurn out.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post - hopefully I will get some feedback.

RedBurn29
02-15-2006, 07:41 PM
Here is the long and short of it: I played IL2 up until a month or so prior to the 4.02 patch was introduced. I sold my gear (CH and Track IR setup) and swore off flight sims and gaming for a while. I still kept an eye on the various forums and read the various opinions of the 4.02 flight model and the noteable "wobble" that some were experincing.

I reinstalled the game (and ordered another CH and Track IR setup). Last night I fired up the game for the first time in a very long time. Using my old Logitech twist stick I gave it a go.

Frankly I am a little freaked out. Some of it may just be that I am used to a better stick/pedals setup but man oh man I noticed any rudder input sents the nose in a bouncing wobble that takes a while to settle down. To point rudder is almost out of the question. I checked 3rd person view and the rudder input appears to give a VERY acute and immediate wobble. Also it seems very difficult to strafe any ground targets (I did not try any A2A ) As soon as I key off the guns or cannons for a quick burst to nose starts bobbing all around.

Is this normal and what this new 4.03 is all about? I guess I can (will have to) get used to it but holy smokes... not much fun. I have seem plenty of gun cam fotage and the reaction to the nose of target is unlike anything I have seen.

Any input appreciated. RedBurn out.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post - hopefully I will get some feedback.

DaimonSyrius
02-15-2006, 09:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBurn29:
Is this normal and what this new 4.03 is all about? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whether it is normal or not has been the subject of much -and often heated- debate, including (but not limited to) what 'normal' might mean in the context. So let's just say that the term 'wobbles' is in fashion this season.

In my opinion (for whatever is worth), most of the changes in how one now 'feels' the planes comes from the addition and tweakings of several secondary forces to the flight model, which happened in 4.02 and 4.03. About how to deal with it, there's good advice in The 4.02 flight model...some hints & tips (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/5111047273/r/5111047273#5111047273) by Tully, stickied on this forum.

Mostly, it takes adjusting the response profile of your controls (joystick/pedals) to suit your way of flying, and also adapting yourself to actually being in control (hopefully) of several forces that are interacting with each other all the time. And of course, the better understanding of how torque, gyroscopic effect, P-factor, etc., act on your plane, won't hurt. All this is covered in that thread I pointed at.

If you ask me, I like it, but you'll have more fun finding out yourself http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

So, welcome back, enjoy.

Cheers,
S.

horseback
02-15-2006, 11:36 PM
There are two things you may want to check out first:

If your computer uses an Intel P4, you may have some issues, in which case there is a fix involving the replacement of the il2_coreP4.dll file with a renamed copy of the il2_core.dll.

Another involves the config file for your joystick settings. I got this from a post by Hawgdog, and it appears to have worked for me.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The fix, for us, as follows:

from the config.ini file

[rts_joystick]
X=0 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100 0
Y=0 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100 0
Z=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0(this line)
RZ=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0

The Z line, in lots of configs, for some reason the line reads
Z=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100,
NOT Z=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 0
See the "space zero" after the numeral 100?
If you dont have it, add the zero AFTER a clean space.
Its been reported that several who had problems with wobbles, this cured it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Additionally, I found that cranking my joystick sensitivities (I have the CH Combatstick/Pro Throttle/Pro Pedals setup) waaay down has also helped. I have to give it a bit more rudder, but I've been told that these aircraft were quite 'rudder-hungry', so I chalk it up to added immersion.

My settings:
Pitch:10 12 15 19 25 32 44 60 80 100, 1 notch of filter
Roll:10 12 15 19 25 32 44 60 80 100, 1 notch of filter
Yaw:10 12 15 19 24 31 46 68 84 100, one notch of filter.

Hope this helps, and welcome back.

cheers

horseback