PDA

View Full Version : Track IR again again

mcpolle1
07-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Hi guys,

After my last post about this Track IR it seems that I NEED this for my game,have looked at the site and the movies all about it, and it looks great.

Question being now, which version do I need??? I have a mid range system, so do I really need the newest version, or can I get along fine with the slightly older version???

Thx

Polle

no not again
07-27-2005, 01:44 PM
buy the latest, you WILL like it.

BigDog9944
07-27-2005, 03:02 PM
No doubt. Buy TrackIR 3 Pro. However, if you can find the non-pro version 3 on eBay or something for a significant discount, I'd be tempted. Don't bother with a version 2 or version 1 though.

As for your system specs, they have nothing to do with which version of TrackIR you use. As a peripheral TrackIR is like a computer mouse. It really doesn't matter what speed of computer you hook it up to.

mcpolle1
07-27-2005, 03:08 PM
Thx guys

polle

Iridium_Layer
07-28-2005, 03:32 AM
If you can afford it, buy the TIR3-Pro WITH the Vector Expansion. The price just went down, so that should make it a bit more affordable.

The reason I recommend the TIR3-PRO w/ Vector is that it will eliminate the biggest gripe I hear from users of the older systems, the issue of centering and having to hold your head in a certain spot or constantly recenter your view. I can usually tell what version someone has when they berate the TIR for losing centering or they say they get neck aches after playing for long periods. With the Vector Expansion (TIR3 only), the unit is MUCH more stable and I can basically forget about centering issues.

The 6DOF feature has not been utilized by most software that is currently out, which is sad since it is really awesome in the games that do support it, but that will be changing with the next generation of sims that are slated to come out in the coming years, and you can expect to see more and more titles that are truly designed to utilize real virtual cockpits with freedom of movement.

The main reason I recommend the TIR3 if you have a mid-to-lower range system, is that the TIR3 has a higher refresh rate and in fact puts less load on your CPU since it has a stronger built-in processor to relay your head position. The higher refresh rate will translate to a smoother experience and will be most noticable with someone who has a slower processor. TIR1 and 2 could bog down an older system, whereas I have never had that issue with the TIR3. That could just be my perception, but I have never had any issues at all with my TIR3.

Good Luck!!

mcpolle1
07-28-2005, 05:30 AM
Thx Iridium,

Where did you get yours from, and what did it cost??

Polle

lkemling
07-28-2005, 12:41 PM
TrackIR PRO $129.95 Vector 6DOF $34.95 Plus shipping.
Just recieved my Vector expanetion pak and it makes all the difference in the world.
http://www.naturalpoint.com

Iridium_Layer
07-28-2005, 03:42 PM
I paid $129 plus shipping for mine which included the vector expansion, but that was last x-mas and through a special offer that if I remember correctly was included in the Pacific Fighters or Lockon packaging. I am sure there must be similar offers available online. Check out PC Aviator and the Naturalpoint website to see if there are any specials, or do a google search for "Trackir bundle special".

To be honest, after having used the TIR3/Vector, I would probably pay twice as much for it...it is that much better. I used to fly mostly in "Wonder Woman" view to get the best situational awareness, only switching to the cockpit to occasionally remind myself what plane I was flying or to check some gauge if needed. Ever since getting the TrackIR setup, I fly exclusively in the cockpit as it is so dang immersive. Everything seems easier when you feel that you are really in the cockpit, and as an added bonus I have now freed up most of my HOTAS switches for more important things than the views that I used to waste them on.

You will not be disappointed!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif