PDA

View Full Version : Could you please possibly address issues with DGEN?

sukebeboy
10-10-2004, 09:07 PM
I think the IL-2 line of games is a wonderful product but I still notice many of the same shortcomings that plagued the single player campaings in the original release of Forgotten Battles are still present. I realize your team must have it's hands full with Pacific Fighters and trying to meet the demands of the online players, but please don't forget about those of us who don't play online.

My two major concerns with the dynamic campaigns are:

1) The behaviour of AI wingmen in low level flight is very erratic. All too often they collide with each other, the ground, or worst of all, me. This is especially true if time acceleration is enabled.

2) The nature of missions assigned to level bombers such as the He-111 is truly odd. I recently tried my hand at a dynamic campaign for the He-111 and gave up in frustration as 6 out of the first 7 missions were attacks against armour from 4,000 metres. Trying to hit a moving target that you can't see from 4,000 metres is not fun nor is it realistic. Could you not refine the campaign generator to assign more appropriate targets?

RealHondo
10-15-2004, 09:58 AM
You can exclude certain type of targets/missions for any kind of plane. Follow the link in my signature or do it by yourself, the info is in one of the readme files. A forum search for "classes" might help, too.

crazyivan1970
10-15-2004, 10:12 AM
Pacific fighter has brand new DGen and NGen, it`s out soon mate http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Gato__Loco
10-15-2004, 11:42 AM
Or try Lowengrin's Dynamic Campaign Generator. It works great, and have lots of options. You can get it here:

http://www.lowengrin.com/news.php

GregSM
10-15-2004, 12:39 PM
Hi Sukebobey,

"The nature of missions assigned to level bombers such as the He-111 is truly odd. I recently tried my hand at a dynamic campaign for the He-111 and gave up in frustration as 6 out of the first 7 missions were attacks against armour from 4,000 metres. Trying to hit a moving target that you can't see from 4,000 metres is not fun nor is it realistic. Could you not refine the campaign generator to assign more appropriate targets?"

I think the He-111 (and TB3) campaign missions are defined in the "ops41bmb-X.dat" files located in the DGen folder. There are three of them - "E", "N", and "H", or respectively "easy", "normal", and "hard". The game should use the one of the three files that corresponds to how you've set the "CampaignMissions" modifier in the configuration file, located in the main directory. (If there's no entry, I believe the "N", "normal" file is used.)

To eliminate moving vehicle columns, moving trains, and moving armour as targets, you could try removing all "AttackArmor" and "AttackSoft" mission entries. The file will look like this:

oDeAttackAF 10622:50509 VVS 0F LW 6Y
oDeAttackAF 10622:50509 VVS 0F LW 4Y
oDeAttackAF 10622:50509 VVS 0F LW 3Y
oDeAttackArmor 10622:50509 VVS 0F LW 6Y 4F
oDeAttackArmor 10622:50509 VVS 3F LW 6Y 4F
oDeAttackArmor 10622:50509 VVS 3F LW 3Y 4F

From this sample you'd need to remove the three "AttackArmor" lines in their entirety, read horizontally.

I've not verified that this will work - the DGen executable might expect these lines to be in the ops file. If so, the campaign will probably just fail to initialize. Please be sure to make backups of the files if you decide to tinker.

Cheers,

Greg