PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks found wasting a lot of water

MadamTampini
10-06-2008, 07:21 PM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=97a_1223259570

STARBUCKS was blasted by environmental experts last night after The Sun discovered it pours millions of litres of precious water down the drain at its coffee shops.

The giant coffee chain has a policy of keeping a tap running non-stop at all its 10,000 outlets worldwide, wasting 23.4 MILLION litres a day.

That would provide enough daily water for the entire two million-strong population of drought-hit Namibia in Africa or fill an Olympic pool every 83 minutes.

Every Starbucks branch has a cold tap behind the counter providing water for a sink called a "dipper well", used for washing spoons and utensils.

Staff are banned from turning the water off under bizarre health and safety rules " bosses claim a constant flow stops germs breeding in the taps.

Starbucks has built up a massive chain, popular with coffee drinkers from Hollywood stars to builders, and proudly boasts of its work for the environment.

But water companies accused the firm of HARMING the environment by frittering away a vital natural resource.

More @ the link on top.

What do you guys think?

I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as South Africa and the Iraq everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. err should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for our children.

No I actually think this should be dealt with.

savior2006
10-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Well since the vast, vast majority of the Earth's water is unusable and a large enough scarcity of it could spark a global resource war, I think they might want to do what everyone else is telling them.

Aj6627
10-06-2008, 09:15 PM
What is that Miss America type paragraph?http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

I don't really think it matters since water is a recyclable resource. It's not like they are physically destroying it.http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Hayden_v
10-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by MadamTampini:
I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as South Africa and the Iraq everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. err should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for our children.

Haha, I remember her http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Boobisphere
10-06-2008, 11:43 PM
I say BS. I have been to more than just a few starbucks around here and none have ever had the water just running in the back somewhere.

MadamTampini
10-07-2008, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Boobisphere:
I say BS. I have been to more than just a few starbucks around here and none have ever had the water just running in the back somewhere.

Have you looked?

I could not believe it but when we contacted head office, they confirmed that the taps were left on and the water was not recycled.

I guess we'll see where this goes, if anywhere, in the coming weeks. I don't ever go to Starbucks so I can't say from personal experience, but now I kind of want to go and check it out.

DrCactus
10-07-2008, 10:29 AM
We wash our cars with potable water. Toilets use potable water. There are far worse environmental crimes out there, than starbucks running a tap for all hours.

LaurenIsSoMosh
10-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Ha... so sometimes I grab a water from Starbucks when I go to the mall (can't remember the brand name right now) but it's supposed to be giving clean water to all these kids in Africa.

So as I'm buying a brand of water that aids children in need, the chain that I bought it from, which brags and brags about being environment-friendly, is just letting water pour down the sink... pretty hypocritical...
Originally posted by DrCactus:
There are far worse environmental crimes out there, than starbucks running a tap for all hours. Well you have a point, but the thing is, your average American toilet user doesn't do much to aid the environment. And Starbucks makes a big deal out of it and says they're doing all these great things to take care of the environment, but then they do something like this. It makes you question whether they really mean what they say or not...