PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday's question

Gbucket
10-13-2004, 05:14 AM
(Shabba): Depending on my performance can the war be won or lost on any given date 1943 or 1947 for example?
DevTeam: Negative. We feel the performance of a single submarine captain cannot change the course of war. The Atlantic Battle was lost at command level, as Germany failed to give adequate emphasis to the Uboat arm.

Teddy Bar
10-13-2004, 06:39 AM
Way to go! Great news and so true.

E.Thang
10-13-2004, 08:26 AM
UbiRazz,
Your close, Germany lost the war because, (in no particular order)
1) Hitler lied to the Navy by telling Raeder he had 10 years to build up the Navy.
2) Hitler failed to secure the resources for the development of the Type XXI, which as a result, entered the war far to late to make any impact.
3) Hitler didn't listen to his generals. When they said, 'Don't invade Russia in the winter when our troops only have summer uniforms': he should have listened.
4) Hitler didn't learn from WWI and was fighting on to many fronts.
5) Instead of using anti-semitism, he should have united all of Germany, and he could have had 6 million more for 'The Cause'.
6) Hitler just didn't understand how to use his Navy.
7) and about a million more reasons...but who's counting?
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

(Ubi, I'm sorry. I just reread your post and you said 'the Atlantic War', not 'The War'....my bad!)

bertgang
10-13-2004, 10:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by E.Thang:
(Ubi, I'm sorry. I just reread your post and you said 'the Atlantic War', not 'The War'....my bad!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your answer is fine so.

The Atlantic battle wasn't lost only at sea; too much resources were wasted for other tasks.

lonewulf44
10-13-2004, 10:40 AM
I don't think the war was 'won' or 'lost' in the Atlantic alone. While, I agree that one U-boat could not decide the fate of war, I kinda wanted to see optional missions for the player to go on that could have a much larger impact. For example, maybe we could unlock or select to go on fictional missions. Maybe if we sink some kind of insane number of tonnage by a certain date, Hitler takes notice and decides to put much more $, R&D, and such into the u-boat program. Then you get the newest subs a mission early, or you see more friendly subs out on the high seas. Or say the German naval intelligence finds out that FDR will be meeting with Churchill and Stalin at a certain location, and the Germans have discovered the route which FDR's ship is on. You could possibly go on mission to sink it, much like the United States went after Yamamoto in the air. Also, torward the end of the war there was talk of somehow putting V2's on subs, so maybe we could have a mission to New York or something. Lastly, maybe even some kind of war ending mission to Japan (or to closest point to Japan in SH3's map) and you have to evade the entire Allied fleet which has heard of your mission. I dont know, just throwin out ideas..... I just would like the chance to change the outcome of the war somehow. Realize its too late for this, but I can dream.

Long Live Prussia!

HeibgesU999
10-13-2004, 06:41 PM
Hopefully, the campaign engine will be versatile enough so folks can play the "what-if" campaigns in 1946 or 1947 if they want.

They have great fun with this playing Combat Missions. T-10 vs King Tiger in 1946.

No necessarily my cup of tea, but everyone should get to play the game they want like they want to play it.