PDA

View Full Version : Clouds medium and detailed a must Fix

TheGozr
10-20-2005, 01:59 PM
I'm asking to have a server controls about this issue.
Setup all you graphics setting very low for ONLINE fights with Medium Clouds and you'll have a clear blue sky.

The servers need a CloudsDetailed=1 option to force client to see how the map maker intended to show their maps (with Old clouds).
To have a choice to make server for higher end machine or lower end.

This Medium Clouds ( old clouds ) ONLINE is a total problem while in a competition level battle. It kills the surprise effect and all the strategy behind it.

THX

VW-IceFire
10-20-2005, 03:14 PM
I could be wrong but I think this already exists. You set the cloud type on the server and that forces all clients to use that type.

WarClouds_WF uses the type 0 clouds while UK-D forces type 1 clouds.

With 4.02m, the type 1 clouds run much quicker and have less of a FPS hit.

TheGozr
10-20-2005, 03:19 PM
Yes but it doesn't force the client Online to see Detailed Clouds http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Just the Type of clouds Old or new.

It's already going in the good direction but this has been asked for a long time now.

BTW TypeClouds=0 is the old one, 1 is the new.

ALso yes 402 clouds are better IMO, Thank youto the Maddox team.

crazyivan1970
10-20-2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by TheGozr:
Yes but it doesn't force the client Online to see Detailed Clouds http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Just the Type of clouds Old or new.

I am a bit confused here Gozr, as far as i know client is forced by the server to use new clouds. New clouds don`t have definition of detailed or medium. They are new clouds, period. It doesnt matter what client has in his clouds settings, he will see the same clouds as anyone else - forced by the server.

Bottom line... if server has clouds=1 (new) client doesn`t have any options... if server has them to = 0, then client gets whatever he has in his settings... detailed or medium. Unless something has changed.

TheGozr
10-20-2005, 04:00 PM
The problem is that there is two cathegory The old style and new. But the old style wich are good for the majority of servers Online don't have this option.
A good way would be to do the same for the old ones. For some specific time the old type clouds are perfect.

Does it make sens?

crazyivan1970
10-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Let me see if i got it right... you want one more switch... to enforce detailed clouds? So when you use old clouds you can control what client is using as far as medium or detailed is concerned... yes?

TheGozr
10-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Yes and Not a switch just a line in config server.

SOme Old clouds are very good and not over wellming . It's a good way to force but not to kill clients machine with a descent look of teh map. .

Thx for anderstanding.

TheGozr
10-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Ok so those are some online/server pics using the old style of clouds ( TypeClouds=0 )

http://www.french.themotorhead.com/il2/images/screen/clouds0detailed.jpg
Detailed clouds

Some tweak.

http://www.french.themotorhead.com/il2/images/screen/clouds0medium.jpg
Medium clouds

Is it considerate as a Cheat..? I would say yes in some very cases. not in lower systems. but alas it is used to see the ennemy better.

SO a lock of the "OLD" clouds into servers will be a top priority. and maybe a very quick fix from maddox 's team to add on a quick file download. Server side... Maybe.

TheGozr
10-25-2005, 09:02 AM
--

WWSensei
10-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Gozr, it's not as bad as it seems at first. The clouds are still there and still block the view of aircraft they just aren't rendered. For instance, you can still see their shadows. They pop up when you close the range.

Now, unless something changed recently and having them on Medium suddenly shows aircraft that would have been hidden otherwise...but before, the only thing you would see was terrain...

What you need is a couple of pics with some aircraft and ground targets at about 10km-15km out and see if the clouds on medium/detailed makes a difference...

CKY_86
10-25-2005, 10:51 AM
where & what would i put to get the new clouds

thanks

Diablo310th
10-25-2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by WWSensei:
Gozr, it's not as bad as it seems at first. The clouds are still there and still block the view of aircraft they just aren't rendered. For instance, you can still see their shadows. They pop up when you close the range.

Now, unless something changed recently and having them on Medium suddenly shows aircraft that would have been hidden otherwise...but before, the only thing you would see was terrain...

What you need is a couple of pics with some aircraft and ground targets at about 10km-15km out and see if the clouds on medium/detailed makes a difference...

That would be a good idea. I'm interested if that is how the Med. clouds work. If not then I agree with Gozr.....the server should be able to control what clouds everyone sees to keep evryone on the same page.

TheGozr
10-25-2005, 01:28 PM
In the conf.ini
[game]<< find this
TypeClouds=1 <<< add this line

Voila new clouds are on.

Yes the clouds can hide planes.( Good )

ZG77_Lignite
10-25-2005, 08:14 PM
All clouds are drawn at close range, out to (I believe) 2.5km regardless of Medium or Detailed settings (as of 3.04, untested in 4.01). It used to be higher (as much as 5km I think), but was lowered recently (possibly Pacific Fighters). Past that 2.5km, 'Medium' cloud setting does not draw the clouds, where 'Detailed' clouds continue to be drawn (also depends on 'Perfect', 'Excellent', etc).

But I think Sensei is correct, the clouds are still 'there', because they are part of the map; therefor they actually are hiding aircraft (invisible) even if you have your clouds set at 'Medium' and you think you should be able to see them. This is harder to test, I don't know how to confirm or deny it.

HelSqnProtos
10-26-2005, 12:49 AM
S~!

Nice find Gozr. Well done, I would like to know more about this as well. Medium Clouds seems like it may have its uses in competitions. I would like to see one setting across the board as well. For now I guess we are going to have to force new clouds whenever someone hosts.

TheGozr
10-26-2005, 02:02 AM
Yes
I did the test, yes the clouds hide planes and visible in medium clouds settings.
...Hard for competitions.
To lock teh old clouds via server would so good.

Monson74
10-26-2005, 03:24 AM
Bump - lock the (type 0) cloud detail (simple/detailed) on the server.

Do I get it right?

TheGozr
10-26-2005, 11:06 AM
Impossible to lock it, when it's set to =0 the client can alternate detailed to Medium.

For the majority of today's players the cloutype detailed in Typeclouds=0 ( old ) don't kill the FPS.
I wanted to add as well to the Maddox team a big thanks for the clouds touch up, They "ALL" look much better i'm very happy about it.