PDA

View Full Version : Climbing

Ominae-
08-21-2005, 03:51 AM
Whats the best way to climb, whenever I'm on someones tail, they generally enjoy to somehow zoom down then climb up all the while going at a really fast pace. I cant chase them, they just keep getting higher, and further away from me. So basicly whats the fastest way to climb? Dive and climb? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

jurinko
08-21-2005, 04:43 AM
The best climbing speed is around 240-300 kph but depends on the plane. You won´t outclimb Bf 109 G-2 in Yak-9 or Zeke in Wildcat. Dive and climb was told to be the most efficient way for Jug to outclimb 109, but I doubt it.
If enemy is on your tail, you have to consider which plane you are in, which plane has the enemy, what is your and his speed and what is your altitude, than you can decide what to do. If you fly Fw 190 and there is Spit behind you with the same speed, you never outclimb him, just roll over and dive. If in contrary, you can enter steep climbing turn. Climbing straight up is not the best option, even low E plane can point the nose on you and its bullets are faster than you, be sure. Climbing turn is very efficient but requires good timing and knowledge of plane capabilites.

Ominae-
08-21-2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the reply, by the way, I was in a La-7, they (the AI) in 109, but they have done the same thing with other planes before, so its happend regardless of my plane, or theres. Its never a situation where they are behind me on my tail, its allways when I'm chasing them. They turn and dive, I follow, but somehow they get more speed them me, because once they start climbing, they just keep getting further away from me. I must be doing something wrong. Altitude is normally at around 500, before they climb.

Taylortony
08-22-2005, 10:55 AM
if you have the trim not exactly balanced it effects speed, so does cowl gills being open etc
are you also using booost if its fitted ie W key

Ominae-
08-23-2005, 08:37 PM
most of the planes i use dont have boost, but even when i am in one, i allways forget about it lol. As for trim, havent used that yet, didn't know it was important, unless i just wanted to cruise without holding the joystick lol. i guess its something i have to try out then.

Deadmeat313
08-24-2005, 03:33 AM
I've been having this problem too. One of my solutions was to try setting prop pitch at 80-90% rather than full 100%. This makes the prop pull more air for the engine revs and seems to help keep up with those 109s. It makes the engine have to work harder to spin it though, and when I experimented with 60% pitch it just seemed to make my engine sound really ill.

Worth a try.

T.

Ominae-
08-24-2005, 12:29 PM
Thanks, I'll have to give that one a try.

Christos_swc
08-24-2005, 01:31 PM
As you start climbing your speed will start to drop so your pursuer will start to close the gap because when pointing at you he doesn't climb as steeply.
Still closing speed will keep dropping until, if you have a good climbing a/c it will stabilise.
How quickly he closes depends on how steeply you are climbing.
If you want to get away from a pursuer and you are flying say a 109 and have a good distance and speed you can start climbing at your best climbing speed that is around 270 and once the distance stabilises start to gradually increase the angle so that you are hanging from the nose, 220,210Km/h whatever.
Nothing can climb as steeply as a 109 and even though you're not achieving maximum climb rate this way he cannot climb as steeply and he will eventually either stall or overshoot(pass under you).
Against an experienced opponent you need to get out everything from your plane so at very low speeds you have to consider maximizing prop pitch settings.
Of course if WEP is available, enable it.

SithSpeeder
08-24-2005, 02:28 PM
OM--

What exactly was the AI flying? Your La-7 down low (under 500m) should have been faster by at least 20-30 km/h. You may be able to go nearly straight and level, but at a much higher (more efficient) speed, then pull up under the climbing 109 for a nice belly shot.

Also, AI is kind of predictable. I find zooming in with the field of view and flying an intercept path instead of a lag or straight pursuit path also helps. When climbing, use 100% prop pitch--I have found that the 90% trick works when trying to max level flight speed. Using trim is much less draggy than using your stick to hold an aircraft attitude. Firing at the AI can sometimes make them get panicky as well, making them jink and spin allowing you to close (just be judicious in using up your ammo).

Each aircraft has it's own best climb speed==> I'm not sure what the La-7 is.

* _54th_Speeder *

Ominae-
08-24-2005, 11:24 PM
normally with the La-7, because its fast I dont have to worry much at all, I eventually will catch up. However with lets say a LaGG, against a Hurricane (I think it was a Hurricane), I can't gain on him, they tend to dive and climb several times when I'm behind them. My only other option (unless i missed something) is to turn around and wait till they go behind me, then still far from each other, turn around to face them and shoot head on. So basicly i just wanted to know what was the best way to climb, to use your AC to the fullest, I'll have to try these new suggestions first.