PDA

View Full Version : Flack Submarines

Karl_Donitz_Jr
04-15-2006, 01:53 AM
Hi guys, I was just wondering which submarine (with conning tower modifications) can carry the most flack guns?

I know that the Germans had a rather unsucessful "Flack Submarine" but which class was it and which conning tower do you have to stick onto it to get the flack loadout?

Cheers, David.

Virtual_Adept
04-15-2006, 04:38 AM
The U-Flack can be replicated using one or more of the VIIC variants with the VIIC/4 tower. This appears later in the war (~ June of '43 in the stock game).

Karl_Donitz_Jr
04-15-2006, 06:54 AM
I got 3 years to wait in the game? Rats!!!

Thanks Virtual Adept

johnjacks
04-15-2006, 12:06 PM
Yes, but it's worth waiting for. It's fun knocking down Sunderlands, although I haven't tried taking on a full squadron yet. Also, I never duel with a Liberator because they don't get close enough. They toss bomb from a distance. Sneaky buggers!

rls669
04-15-2006, 12:49 PM
Yes, that's pretty irritating. A 4-engine WW2 bomber doing a lob-toss attack like it thinks it's an F-15E.

Klaevkhar
04-15-2006, 01:24 PM
A type IXc with the IX/3 tower is not too bad either....

Karl_Donitz_Jr
04-16-2006, 02:28 AM
Well I took on a squadren of Sunderlands with a IXC - 2 duel flacks on the bridge and a 4x just aft of that. I was zigzagging all over the sea at 21 knots - but I got em all!. Only collected bullet holes for my troubles also. No crew injuries or major damage!

PMSL That was FUN!!!

Note: I wouldn't have done that, but I had just surfaced after hiding from a persistant destroyer. He was about 25 miles away (he had radar) and my battery was flat. I HAD to fight it out! lol

The destroyer got me though. He did a u-turn and I couldn't dive for any length of time to evade him. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif It was fun though! pmsl

Virtual_Adept
04-16-2006, 05:18 AM
...And you didn't torp the DD?
...And you didn't dive?

I've been in a similar situation, battery dead, shooting it out with planes and a DD or two shows up. My solution was to destroy one from a distance with the deck gun while lining the other up with the aft tube (and my last torpedo). Once the first one went down I dived to avoid critical damage from the other DD's guns. The battery had some time to recharge, but it was barely enough to manuver on and no sane captain would have done it (of course...no sane captain would have attempted...and succeeded...in taking out a DD with the deck gun from a distance). I also managewd to kill the other DD with my last torp. Had to let it get really close though.

If you have no battery left, you should dive as deep as you can go (bottom the boat if you can) and wait him out. They will give you up for dead eventually. Also, as you dive, you have that all important opportunity to send a torpedo at the offending DD (assuming you have any left...). Even without engines running, you can still change depth, it just takes longer (and would likely represent the crew partially flooding the trim tanks (evenly). Unfortunately, the game doesn't allow you to flood them for a faster descent. Crash dive works, and if you were already running at flank on the surface, all the better (just keep rudder centered for the dive as this cuts down on velocity loss during the dive).

Karl_Donitz_Jr
04-16-2006, 06:55 AM
well I did try and avoid him while firing my deck gun, but one 88mm vs a destroye rwith 4x 4.7" guns. No contest really. I got hte officers though! I was straffing his bridge with my flack guns pmsl. He rammed me in the end after disabling my engines & rudders with a lucky shell.

BueJack
04-16-2006, 03:22 PM
In RL of WW2, once the RAF worked out that the UBoats ahd heavy flak they just floated around, out of range, calling in the navy.

This left the Kaleun with a BIG problem. If he dived, the plane would come into attack. If he stayed on the surface the RN would arrive soon enough.

Eventually Kaleuns chose to avoid flak guns and go back to stealth, the original idea of the sub.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

mike_espo
04-16-2006, 08:19 PM
Flak......not Flack http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Kaleun1961
04-17-2006, 09:21 AM
What does "PMSL" stand for?

Karl_Donitz_Jr
04-17-2006, 10:05 AM
PMSL = Pissin' MySelf Laughing

Bit like ROFLMAO = Rolling On the Floor Laughing My *** Off, another of my fav's.

Virtual_Adept
04-17-2006, 01:52 PM
What, I only had an 88. I guess I'm just a better (or luckier) shot...