PDA

View Full Version : Good Starter Plane?

Grayfox191988
05-18-2006, 09:24 PM
Hey Fellow Pilots,

Im very new to this game and Im still having a hard time with some things, and one question I have is, What is a good starter plane I should get use to? Not to hard to fly and not to hard to get some kills... =D
Thanks

slo_1_2_3
05-18-2006, 09:31 PM
So you want somethng that's not gonna stall easyand you prolly want good speed and manuverability also tuffness I'm guessing?
hmmmm.WEll alot of people might say try the spitfires or maybe a a6m they both pretty good esy flying planes I like the zero myself.

Hashmark13
05-18-2006, 09:38 PM
A lot of people insist that the La 5 or 7 are the ultimate noob planes. I think they're quite good myself, try it out.

Grayfox191988
05-18-2006, 09:40 PM
What about some american planes?

WTE_Galway
05-18-2006, 09:42 PM
online or offline ?

makes a big difference

offline i recommend early war .. the J8 or the emil

if you must go american .. probably the P47 or p38 (again offline)

though i am playing a full real p40 campaign in new guinea and that has been heaps of fun

Jaws2002
05-18-2006, 09:45 PM
IAR-81C

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

vocatx
05-18-2006, 09:48 PM
One of the easiest planes to fly and land is the Hurricane. That big thick wing gives plenty of lift. The early P-40s (B,C, Hawk 81) aren't bad choices either.

ImpStarDuece
05-18-2006, 09:49 PM
Hurricane IIb.

Ok, so it's not American. It's also not fast, sexy or particularly deadly.

However, it is stable, dependable and has very good handling characeristics. It has wide track landing gear for ease of take-off/landing, good visibility over the nose and a great gunsight.

It also teaches you to hold your fire until you can't miss, because those .303s really don't do much damage beyond about 200m.

cam1936
05-18-2006, 09:54 PM
the yak-3s are very manuverable, not to tough though

Dash_C.
05-18-2006, 10:41 PM
No one has mentioned the Il-2 yet, but they have some fine flight characteristics (aside from being a bit mushy in the yaw axis).

Talamir
05-18-2006, 10:51 PM
Any A6M and the P40M are really good beginner planes, both very forgiving. When I have friends come over, I direct them to those planes 1st as they are good to learn on, the P40 being a little trickier on take off and landing, but both easy to fly.

Ernst_Rohr
05-18-2006, 11:31 PM
Overall, start with the early war planes, they are generally much easier to fly as a whole, although there are some exceptions (like the I-16).

US:
Good: P-40:
fairly easy take off very forgiving in flight, landings are a little tougher but still not bad. Taxiing takes some work due to the long nose.
Moderate: F4F:
As long as it isnt a carrier, the F4 is a pretty tame plane and a good starter. Decent ground handling, easy take off, and decent landing make this a pretty good secondary choice. Better visibility than the P-40 as well.
Bad: P-39:
This is and energy fighter, its a mediocre climber and has very nasty stall characteristics. Avoid this one. Very good ground handling though.

GB:
Good: Hurricane:
VERY forgiving plane to fly. Easy take off and handling, decent landing characteristics. Good ground handling.
Moderate: Spitfire:
VERY twitchy plane, very tight handling means you have to be smooth and gentle on the controls. Takeoff is good, landing is decent, taxiing is not as easy as the hurricane. If your heavy handed, avoid the Spit for now.

Germany:
Good: Me-110:
despite having two engines to manage, its a good stable plane to fly, and turns well for its size. Take off and landing handling are good. Taxiing is the easiest of the german fighters.
Moderate: Bf-109:
very much like the Spit. Flys well, but you CANNOT turn very tightly with it or it will stall. Stall warning is noticable, but if you dont watch it, it will snap out of control abrubtly. Takoff is good, taxiing is problematic, landings are BAD. The 109 is a tough plane to land, worst feature about the AC, otherwise this would be a good starting plane.
Bad: FW-190:
Leave this one to the experts. Tough plane to fly properly. Awful taxiing, good takeoff, decent landing. Gentle turns only in this bird our you will stall quickly, but stalls are mild. Wait on this one.

USSR:
Good: IL-2, MIG-3, Yak-1:
All have good flight handling, good landing and takeoff. The Mig is harder to taxi on the ground due to a very long nose.
Moderate: LAGG-3:
Ground handling is moderate, long nose blocks view somewhat, takeoff and landing are decent. The LAGG has very nasty stall behavior though, so you should avoid this unless your very gentle on the stick.
Bad: I-16:
Dont even think about trying this plane as a new pilot. Taxiing is horrible, substantial engine torque makes it a handfull to try and takeoff in, and landings are hairy. If you manage to get it in the air, its controls are VERY sensitive, and if your heavy handed, it will depart controlled flight quickly and with little warning. Avoid this one!

Japan:
Good: Ki-43, A6M2:
Two of the absolute easiest planes to fly in the game. Very good ground handling, very easy takeoff and landing characteristics. Best turning fighters in the game, very hard to stall, and easy stall handling. Both are great learning planes, with the Ki-43 being the easier of the two.

Von_Rat
05-18-2006, 11:53 PM
{{{{puts on abestoes underwear}}}}}

fw190d9 is the easyist

think about it. in a fw all you have to do is climb up to decent altitude, dive down on your target, blast him and zoom up and away. if you get in trouble dive away and run, almost nothing can catch you. all it takes is patience.

there must be a reason for real life new pilots to prefer 190. these are the reasons among others, such as automated systems. and the fact that they only had one life.

what gets new pilots in this game in trouble is the ww1 turn and bank mentality, that alot have.

William_966
05-18-2006, 11:54 PM
If u have the AEP installed I believe it has the Gladiator bi-plane. It a good plane to start with..think of it as a trainer.
Learn to do rolls and turns and loops.
U do have a point, alot of these combat sim game do not include a basic trainer aircraft.
A T-6 or Harvard would be great to learn flying skills. The focus is on combat, I realize that.
One of the skills i have yet to learn is recovering from stalls.
Also get a stick that has force feed back.....I had my Microsoft Sidewinder for over 5 years now, Im amazed it has lasted this long!
Anyways, keep up the flying and maybe see u online.

Esel1964
05-19-2006, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Grayfox191988:
Hey Fellow Pilots,

Im very new to this game and Im still having a hard time with some things, and one question I have is, What is a good starter plane I should get use to? Not to hard to fly and not to hard to get some kills... =D
Thanks

As a member of the "stall/spinmeister" club,I'd say P-38,for American.
[Now donning flak vest,in anticipation of 'incoming']
For single engine(American),it depends on the difficulty level & experience you have,but,if you're new,and flying 'full real'-I'd go w/ the Brewster Buffalo 'til I got the hang of things.

If you are new to the game(welcome),and you aren't a real pilot,you'll find that you learn fast.
Best of luck and have fun(most importantly),M8

leitmotiv
05-19-2006, 02:44 AM
Highly recommend flying the TB-3 for a few minutes just to demonstrate to yourself you can control a airplane in this sim. Go to the external view and look at the ailerons, elevators, and rudder to see what happens when you use the controls. I trained myself with the Polikarpov suite: I-153 (esp recommend) and I-16. Hurricanes are good trainers and I learned much from using the LaGG-3 series. Yak-1 is forgiving and can make a junior pilot feel hot. Stay away from the Bf 109s---to beginners they will seem schizophrenic. Gradually move into using them. Do not worry, one day they will be second nature. Recommend getting pedals---best to not learn with a twist stick because you will have to learn pedals later and pedals are far better for control. Best to set Difficulty for maximum realism except keep the external view to be able to look at control movements and, at this stage, forget Complex Engine Management. You will crash over and over and over again but you will get the hang of it. Oh yes, read the manual---there is a great deal of good info in it. Use the Quick Mission Builder to practice. Best to learn how to fly first and then concentrate on takeoffs and landings---as any real pilot will tell you, they are far harder than flying. Excellent target practice: the Soviet SB twin engine bombers---they burn easily and have only limited defensive arcs (watch out for the belly gun---it can sometimes surprise you). Take up a Finnish Hurricane I against four groups of three. Set your gun convergence to 100 meters and shoot when it fills your windscreen. Good luck!

Esel1964
05-19-2006, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Highly recommend flying the TB-3 for a few minutes just to demonstrate to yourself you can control a airplane in this sim. Go to the external view and look at the ailerons, elevators, and rudder to see what happens when you use the controls. I trained myself with the Polikarpov suite: I-153 (esp recommend) and I-16. Hurricanes are good trainers and I learned much from using the LaGG-3 series. Yak-1 is forgiving and can make a junior pilot feel hot. Stay away from the Bf 109s---to beginners they will seem schizophrenic. Gradually move into using them. Do not worry, one day they will be second nature. Recommend getting pedals---best to not learn with a twist stick because you will have to learn pedals later and pedals are far better for control. Best to set Difficulty for maximum realism except keep the external view to be able to look at control movements and, at this stage, forget Complex Engine Management. You will crash over and over and over again but you will get the hang of it. Oh yes, read the manual---there is a great deal of good info in it.

I wish I'd said that-perfect. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

russ.nl
05-19-2006, 03:15 AM
I learned my flying in the IL-2

HotelBushranger
05-19-2006, 03:28 AM
I learned flying the P-40C/E. I think it's important that as a beginner you fly a slightly tricky plane (P-40) that has vices - it shows the beginner that planes aren't just point and shoot (which some late war planes practically are) and, being a rather heavy plane, teaches you how to handle an aircraft, what to do in sticky situations, and the 6 guns are good for shooting.

Just make sure you don't give yourself a plane thats really easy to fly that has practically no problems - Spitfire Late, La-7 - because really you won't learn anything.

Oh and welcome to the forums http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

WOLFMondo
05-19-2006, 03:36 AM
Do not learn in the La's! You will learn bad habits and not really learn too much.

I once taught someone the ropes to this sim and went from:
IL2 - Hurricane - P40 - BF109F4 - BF109G6/AS - FW190A6 - P51D

Start simple and build yourself up. Its good to pick one plane and master it, read some books about how the plane was used and how you should fly it in combat. Play around in the QMB with different planes too.

Originally posted by Von_Rat:
{{{{puts on abestoes underwear}}}}}

fw190d9 is the easyist

Sacrilage!!!!!!!!!111122222eleven!!!!11

I guess I actually agree, to a degree. 190's take patience though, you can't yank and bank and fighting your way out of a disadvantage can be interesting but once you've learnt to base evasive manouvers on roll rate and not turn rate its the best plane going. Not a good beginner plane though, it requires too much patience. One good thing about learning in a 190 is the lack of trim on the ailerons and rudder and the automatic engine management.

AlGroover
05-19-2006, 04:54 AM
P40 is an excellent choice of the American planes. Also try taking the Yak 3 and Ki61 Tony for a ride.

LStarosta
05-19-2006, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
online or offline ?

makes a big difference

offline i recommend early war .. the J8 or the emil

if you must go american .. probably the P47 or p38 (again offline)

though i am playing a full real p40 campaign in new guinea and that has been heaps of fun

Do you honestly think a kid who just got this game knows what an Emil is?

Megile_
05-19-2006, 05:08 AM
LA-7

In the words of FPS Doug.. it owns!

danjama
05-19-2006, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by Grayfox191988:
Hey Fellow Pilots,

Thanks

Try the 109G2 or Spitfire Mk9!

La7 is also a good choice.

p-11.cAce
05-19-2006, 07:37 AM
You mean this is not just a 109 sim??? lol...probably best to not tie yourself to one particular aircraft - though I think many of us do eventually. I think the IL2 is the easiest plane to fly, the J8 is a blast for old-school acro, and the He-162 is great fun to fly around in. 99% of the time though I'm in a 109 (usually an "Emil" -E model) both online and off. Just love that crate and how it flies! I think its landing difficulty is overblown - just fly a good pattern: get her under 300kph on downwind, dump to landing flaps on base, drop gear and landing flaps on final and keep power in to stabalize around 200kph until you are ON THE GROUND. Like my old instructor used to say - "you fly her from the moment you start the engine until the moment you shut her down".