PDA

View Full Version : Have you experienced this?

AVGWarhawk
06-09-2005, 09:36 AM
I was patrolling and spotted a coastal merchant. I was at periscope depth at 0 kts. I was making my calculation for torpedos and kept comming with speed of merchant as 0. I thought this was incorrect. Then I noticed that the merchant was not infact moving. It just sat there and I fired off a torpedo that hit the fantail and blew off the propeller. Now it was just fun with the deck gun at this point. Has anyone experienced a cargo ship just stopping in the middle of the ocean for not apparentl reason?

AVGWarhawk
06-09-2005, 09:36 AM
I was patrolling and spotted a coastal merchant. I was at periscope depth at 0 kts. I was making my calculation for torpedos and kept comming with speed of merchant as 0. I thought this was incorrect. Then I noticed that the merchant was not infact moving. It just sat there and I fired off a torpedo that hit the fantail and blew off the propeller. Now it was just fun with the deck gun at this point. Has anyone experienced a cargo ship just stopping in the middle of the ocean for not apparentl reason?

Jim0322
06-09-2005, 11:17 AM
It happens. Ships do have mechanical failures. I don't know if it is a bug or a feature.

Jim

snowdawg1
06-09-2005, 12:25 PM
I had one that was funny like this. I had a C2 in a heavy storm. I setup across his path with a stern torpedo shot. First one Impacted on the hull amidships and he kept on going at 9 knots. I quickly reloaded the stern tube and fired again but the shot went way forward of him. I spun around to try with my last bow torpedo. I got a speed of 9 knots on the C2 but he was standing still. He had come to a sudden stop and wasn€t moving. I got the weapons officer to do a solution and he put the torpedo way off the bow again. I hit f12 and went to the C2 to have a look and he was just motoring way props turning, but not getting anywhere. There was lots of water under the keel. Couldn€t figure it out what was going on so I sunk him. (Must.. kill.. what I don€t understand) I had to override the weapons officers setting. I have not seen it again yet.

g8rk0k
06-09-2005, 01:09 PM
Someone suggested that they are derelicts used as bait for a trap and that destroyers are sitting nearby with their engines off waiting for you to take it. I've killed alot of stationary ships and have been approached by a destroyer only once so I doubt this.