PDA

View Full Version : Quad or Duo

J.M.LLOYD
10-19-2007, 03:03 AM
Before I buy,I would like to ask the experts.

Asus Blitz Extreme mobo with 2 gig of DDR3, which in your opinion would be the best CPU chip "Intel core 2 Quad Q6600-or- Intel core 2 duo E6850. The CPU is the last item i need to buy to complete the motherboard...Thanks for all the past advice....J.Morgan.Lloyd

SlickStick
10-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Building a fast computer is the same as building a fast race car. You ask yourself, "How fast do I want to go now?".

How fast you want to go is directly proportional to how much money you want to spend, just like building the motor of a race car. In the case of your mobo, which supports both Core 2 Duo and Quad, I see two avenues for you to go. One saves money initially, which can be used for more RAM or video, and the other offers a future upgrade path.

1. Start with a Core 2 Duo (E6420 or higher) ~200.00USD and 2GB of DDR2-1066 RAM ~150.00USD.

2. Upgrade later with a Quad (Q6600 or higher, currently ~279.00USD) and 2GB+ of DDR3-1066 or 1333 (currently ~300.00 and up).

The main issues that you want to justify. DDR3 is currently overpriced and slower than DDR2. That will change in the future. A Quad core is hardly being taken advantage of or even properly utilized in most software and games presently.

As for the current price of a quad vs a duo goes, for ~79.00USD more, you can go quad, and there is certainly a processing advantage to a quad, but as this review shows, in most popular games currently, it does not perform much better than a Core 2 Duo until multi-tasking comes into play. And how many people encode MP3s while they are gaming? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

However, future-proofing is fun, too.

Most likely stick with the DDR2-1066 to start until DDR3 is faster and cheaper, as Aimail stated in the other thread.

Quad Review (http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/intel_core_quad_q6600_preview/)

EiZ0N
10-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Go for the Quad, honestly.

Apps are becoming more and more tailored towards taking advantage of multiple CPU cores.

More and more games will take advantage, maybe even demand multiple cpu cores in the future, in my opinion as both a gaming "enthusiast" and a programmer. Not that I'm disagreeing with SlickStick - many existing games don't take advantage of the multiple cores. I believe this is changing however.

Look at it this way - a quad core is a bit more expensive, but it's double the processing power.

I'm actually looking at buying a Q6600 myself.

If you're into overclocking (which from your post, I guess you're probably not but I'll say anyway)...
Some Q6600 revisions run very well I believe (G0 stepping?) and these can be overclocked like crazy

stalkervision
10-19-2007, 01:40 PM
when Direct X 10 comes out most of the graphics calulations will be done by the video card and not the cpu. Even on older computers and video games it will have a noticable effect.

Choctaw111
10-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Even though Il2 can not use 4 Cores (you can tell it use 4 cores in the conf.ini but has no noticeable effect), it does have the ability to use 2 of them effectively, and with a noticeable increase in performance. I am then able to use the other 2 cores for running other apps, like Ventrilo, FRAPS and other things, leaving the 2 cores for Il2 ONLY. Then you should think ahead as well. Even though not many programs are able to run on 4 cores (at least not today), that is the wave of the future. Go for the 4 cores. You cannot go wrong.

-HH-Quazi
10-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Choctaw111:
Even though Il2 can not use 4 Cores (you can tell it use 4 cores in the conf.ini but has no noticeable effect), it does have the ability to use 2 of them effectively, and with a noticeable increase in performance. I am then able to use the other 2 cores for running other apps, like Ventrilo, FRAPS and other things, leaving the 2 cores for Il2 ONLY. Then you should think ahead as well. Even though not many programs are able to run on 4 cores (at least not today), that is the wave of the future. Go for the 4 cores. You cannot go wrong. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gifSpot on.

J.M.LLOYD
10-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks for all your help and advice Boys, I now have a better idea of what to buy..J.Morgan.Lloyd