PDA

View Full Version : all about bahro

Layniel
08-18-2005, 04:46 PM
so what do we know about bahro
from what i understood they are some kind of slaves to the D'ni, which Yeesha wants to set free for some reason

they are ghost-like and can disappear and reappear whenever they want

they can change an Age at their will (though they dont do that much except someone asks them to change something)

anything else?

Mowog
08-18-2005, 09:38 PM
I seem to recall reading that the Bahro were the originators of the quantum leaps that the D'ni were later to adopt via "The Art." They were able to initiate links using objects like stones, whereas the D'ni had to painstakingly create books to achieve the same end.

So the Bahro are much more than meets the eye... primitive as they appear, they are evidently capable of some pretty phenomonal stuff.

Alahmnat
08-19-2005, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Mowog:
I seem to recall reading that the Bahro were the originators of the quantum leaps that the D'ni were later to adopt via "The Art."

I wouldn't say they were the originators, just that they seem to have a similar, albeit very different way of taking advantage of what the D'ni term The Art.

demo spoilers...

Esher apparently doesn't think highly of them or their abilities, either. He strikes me as a touch xenophobic, actually...

Darcphaze
08-19-2005, 12:05 PM
We know they can chitter and coo and when they do it in an accoustical environment, they trill like angels... and um... they apparently chitter and coo anyone they want to other places, most notibly a strange cave. It of course occurred to me that Yeesha asked them to send people to that cave as opposed to them sending folks to that cave on their own initiative. I did take note that other than jumping down da hooolee that there was no other way out (I mean, lets face it, under normal circumstances there'd be NO WAY I'd go jumping down dat hole!). Since they do seem to do what's asked of them with little or no argument, it doesn't seem far fetched that she asked it of them.

Eat_My_Shortz
08-23-2005, 04:29 AM
I always thought (from uru) that bahro were like D'ni slaves that had been treated so badly over time they had sort of "evolved" into this state.. tho i dont suppose that's such a good theory any more.

Layniel
08-23-2005, 01:17 PM
when i read book of d'ni they talked there about Bahro, calling them the beast-people.
i had the imprssion, that there they were kinda human-like, but i knew from Uru, that that couldn't be true

uecasm
08-27-2005, 05:07 AM
In the book of D'ni the slave class (relyimah, or "Unseen") were fully human -- in fact they were just ahrotahntee (outsiders, humans without any Ronay blood).

At one point, one of the characters referred to them as "bahro" (literally "beast people") as an insult, meaning that they were no better than beasts.

This is I think distinct from Uru and M5's use of "Bahro" as an actual race name. I don't think there were any Uru-style Bahro in Terahnee -- according to Escher, they were all hiding out in Noloben.

But it's reasonable to assume that the Ronay encountered the Bahro on Garternay (or even before -- Garternay was linked to via the Art, so if they learned the Art off the Bahro then they must have met earlier). For whatever reason, the Bahro became despised (perhaps because they seemed to be able to use the Art easier/better), and so the name was remembered as an insult, even when the Bahro themselves were forgotten.

At least that's my theory http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bhob
10-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Alahmnat:
I wouldn't say they were the originators, just that they seem to have a similar, albeit very different way of taking advantage of what the D'ni term The Art.

demo spoilers...

Esher apparently doesn't think highly of them or their abilities, either. He strikes me as a touch xenophobic, actually...

I agree with you; I haven't seen anything that makes me think the Bahro were the originators. I also seem to remember reading in one of the notebooks in Uru that they were a "found" race, meaning that the D'ni had already been linking before they ever knew that the Bahro existed. It's not necessary to assume that one race learned this from the other. There have been many instances of great discoveries being made by independent researchers, unaware of each other.

As for Esher being Xenophobic... I think you're right, but can you really blame him? If you or I met something like the Bahro in real life I doubt that either of us would invite him home to dine with us.

Mr Zebe D
10-07-2005, 03:40 AM
In the book of D'ni the slave class (relyimah, or "Unseen") were fully human -- in fact they were just ahrotahntee (outsiders, humans without any Ronay blood).

At one point, one of the characters referred to them as "bahro" (literally "beast people") as an insult, meaning that they were no better than beasts.

To D'ni - bahro are human
URU / Myst V - bahro are bats

Is it possible that the character knew of the animal bahro, so the audience would know to what the relyimah were being compared?

Alahmnat
10-07-2005, 04:21 AM
The Bahro of Book of D'ni are a separate race than the ones in Uru (and the expansion packs) and End of Ages. The name was used - perhaps more figuratively - by the Terahnee in describing their slaves, while it was used much more literally - though no less condescendingly - by the D'ni in describing the creatures they encountered and apparently enslaved. I don't think the Terahnee ever had contact with the Bahro we meet in End of Ages, they just happened to use the same word to describe a different set of people.

Mr Zebe D
10-07-2005, 04:36 AM
Excellent, Alahmnat. Thanks for the definitive response.

Mowog
10-07-2005, 07:09 AM
I wouldn't say they were the originators, just that they seem to have a similar, albeit very different way of taking advantage of what the D'ni term The Art. Mention was made elsewhere of a "linking gland" possessed by the Bahro, and presumably diagrammed in the sketches we find in Esher's lab on Noloben. And you'll notice that they always touch a place on their chests when linking, much like Esher places his hand on a linking cloth he wears over his shoulder.