PDA

View Full Version : Damage Model needs one last element not featured

Wingstrut_1
02-07-2005, 07:43 AM
Pilots & crew members are not modelled to physicaly show injury (damage) while in the planes. I note that pilots may show a slumped look when dead while in parachute BUT there is no appearance of injury state (damage)while they are IN the plane. It would be of great benefit if a pilot or crew is killed that the 3d model gives appearance of being slumped over controls or some other effect to know they are in fact dead. This is especially important with more and more multi engined/crew planes. It's kind of silly that 3d models show pilots head turning but not one sign of damage when a 20 mm explodes in the cockpit or gun position. It also will give better visual clue to damage inflicted when attacking multi crewed planes.

Jaws2002
02-07-2005, 08:13 AM
Do you really wanna see brains flying allover the place? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

jurinko
02-07-2005, 09:23 AM
at least collapsed pilot would not hurt--it was coded and worked perfectly in beta AEP.

elephant_il2
02-07-2005, 10:48 AM
It's the HighGore=1 setting in conf.ini file that supported dead pilots modeled in some planes like He-111 and bf-109F in FB.
I haven't checked it out in current version but it was still there in v.2.04.
Here is an example:

http://atlas.walagata.com/w/elephant/260387.jpg

tolwyn.com
02-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Why did you say "brains?"

I don't think he was asking for true "gore" but global support of the "slumped" look isn't too inappropriate, is it?

FliegerAas
02-07-2005, 11:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jaws2002:
Do you really wanna see brains flying allover the place? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No one speaks of splattered brains. I totally agree with Jurinko's post. A collapsed pilot would do the trick even without blood.

Wingstrut_1
02-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Thank you. Yes, I was asking for a slumped figure as stated. Interesting on the HighGore=1. I will have to add that and see what happens. We don't need body parts to wash out of ball turrents and I am not asking for it. I also would question the damage model for gunners in larger planes. It seems as if whatever damage model or damage box is very small.

I would like to see a wounded gunner in 2 stages be addressed in damage programming. Stage 1, the gunners accuracy and ROF is reduced by %50. Stage 2, gunner ceases fire. Both stages 1 and 2 no 3d model effect. Stage 3 would be death, slumped model figure, of course no firing.

womenfly
02-07-2005, 01:21 PM
On another note ... if you flame a Val and/or place a few good rounds into the rear gunners postion, he still shoots at you while going down enveloped in a fire ball and black smoke. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif

I would have bailed by then!

Mjollnir111675
02-07-2005, 02:46 PM
So would the slumped dead pilot have an effect on the stick? Causing it to go straight into a dive? Not all the time mind you but dependent upon how the pilot slumps.
The idea of degradation of weapons effectiveness for the gunners is a good idea Wingstrut. Almost crazy it doesn't happen now, huh?
Yeah and keep the extreme gore in favor for(while were here for the GAMES D.M.): higher smoke plumes coming from ships!! Im talkin the big black oily towering plumes that go on for miles when a ship is truly getting hammered!!
Ok ok I'll settle for.."2 miles"!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
The ships d.m. for burning now seems to look more like a college bonfire burning wood and couches than a real stricken ship that was burning coal,av fuel,oil,steel,aluminum etc. etc. etc. On the smaller vessels its cool but for the larger ones it just doesn't seem like its representative.
I would dig seeing secondary explosions as well. And not just from the planes on the flight deck that are exploding.
Ever land a 500 lbr. DIRECTLY into the island of an opposing carrier? What happens? Nuthin much!!
MORE island battle damage would be a crowd pleaser. For that matter so would overall ship d.m. If one can "neatly saw ones aileron cables" it would be cherry for one to atleast see something on that ship disabled whether a boiler ,rudder,deck elevator(who cares that they aren't functional? Just show me that the bomb that was just dropped had SOME kinda effect on it or its crew..ex: you just strafed the bridge "shutting down the bridge" at which point the ship will slow and eventually come to a stop to represent damage control and re-crew of position. Perhaps the bridge smoking would atleast reflect if I had hit it or the flight deck.
Here would be a fun one: a dropped bomb penetrated flight deck, entered into the hangar bay "destroying xx planes , xx crew" and then upon flight from area one may receive this message: "Secondary explosions caused by 500 lb bomb disabled/destroyed hangar deck & officers quarters" Accompany this with explosions & smoke coming from inside at appropriate level!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Different size debris field graphics according to their ships size to be left at the scene after ship destruction. Possibly with its own oil slick?
Capsizing!!
Oil slicks (possibly on fire closer to the ship?) would be T!ts!!
I wont bring up deck fire crews as they are from the air mostly unseen in all the smoke and fire from altitude. But water streams shooting at diff angles towards the deck would be cool if triggered by an appropriate event.To be turned off when excessive fire and smoke obstruct their view?
Lastly, I dont know if one should put this in the "Cruise Model" for the ships but, the wakes could be longer. Not better just longer! It was possible to see the wakes long before one saw the ship.
Wake = n x ships length + ships speed??
Perhaps 1.5x the length @ flank?
The effect as is makes it hard to judge the speed of any fleet.
I dont know just a thought. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

HEY THIRD-PARTY DEVS: PIMP OUR TORP PLANES!!

Wingstrut_1
02-07-2005, 03:02 PM
A. None of the above has anything to do with the specific topic of pilots or crew as stated.

B. No one stated slumping over the stick.

Popey109
02-07-2005, 03:43 PM
What are we so afraid of? I€ve seen FPS games far worse than anything you could see from my cockpit at 300 mph. how about just a damage model that makes you think before you bail out? Yea! You could get hit by you€re own plan€¦or being pined by G force so you cant bail€¦I€d like to see that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mjollnir111675
02-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Wingstrut:

Dig dude;
You label this thread as if this idea of a slumped man is the last "element" the dm needs!!

So to get to your snide @rse little remark of my reply having nothing to do with this post you are wrong.
I have clearly stated what else would be nice to be included in the D.M. from another perspective.
Whether you mentioned it was about dm's of planes or ships or both that wasn't clear. So I thought I'd chime in because after all it was your post that brought this other stuff but to say it hasn't anything to do with this thread is just snowblind!!
But by your lil mamby pamby remarks I have gathered that you may not play the pto that much. Well good for you!! Thats your choice!
But alot of pto players would like to see better dms on the fleet.
Not for you well ok dont let me get in your way of jockeying to get your lil slumped man!
Still better to see the fleet with actual representative damage that I can actually see at distance than this lil slumped man in another a/c whizzing by me in the opposite direction but hey....
But there are alot of ..ya know what..forget it!!

EDIT: "B. No one stated slumping over the stick."

Ya think?!? Could be why I DID state it!!

HEY 1-C: PIMP OUR TORP PLANES!! plus the fleets C & D.M.'s

Chuck_Older
02-07-2005, 05:43 PM
I have to say that while it is a very nice touch, the only time I have ever noticed a slumped over crewmember is in a track or in a screen shot. I'm flying wayyy too fast to really see it from the cockpit

I do agree this might add an element to the sim, and easily, and I'm not saying this is a bad idea or one I don't want to see. I'm just saying I'll never see it in a mission unless I pause the game

Indianer.
02-08-2005, 07:21 AM
pointless.

Wingstrut_1
02-08-2005, 07:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mjollnir111675:
Wingstrut:

Dig dude;

But there are alot of ..ya know what..forget it!!

EDIT: "B. No one stated slumping over the stick."

Ya think?!? Could be why I DID state it!!

HEY 1-C: PIMP OUR TORP PLANES!! plus the fleets C & D.M.'s <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for admitting no one stated the above and that it is your exageration.

Your postings are non constructive and is demonstrative of the type of video game players who get emotionally wrapped up in games posting long rants. The tone of your posts speak enough about your mental state "dude."

Mjollnir111675
02-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Nothing says "type of video game players who get emotionally wrapped up in games" like the idea of wanting a slumped pilot/gunner/guy. That feeds YOUR fps gamer mentality. Pure eye candy which has no other purpose. Especially when the poster becomes critical of anyone elses ideas just to get what they want!!
My fleet dm ideas are not for some graphical eye candy which doesn't help anyone.
They are good ideas which when done right would be helpful for long range detection and also knowing where a ship has been weakened by previous attacks! And that IS something valuable!
Now if you cant see the usefulness in that sorry.

And here someone else goes with their "assesment" of ones mental status!!

HEY 1-C: PIMP OUR TORP PLANES!! And get this guy a degree in psychology/psychiatry!!

Wingstrut_1
02-08-2005, 11:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mjollnir111675:
Nothing says "type of video game players who get emotionally wrapped up in games" like the idea of wanting a slumped pilot/gunner/guy. That feeds YOUR fps gamer mentality. Pure eye candy which has no other purpose. Especially when the poster becomes critical of anyone elses ideas just to get what they want!!
My fleet dm ideas are not for some graphical eye candy which doesn't help anyone.
They are good ideas which when done right would be helpful for long range detection and also knowing where a ship has been weakened by previous attacks! And that IS something valuable!
Now if you cant see the usefulness in that sorry.

And here someone else goes with their "assesment" of ones mental status!!

HEY 1-C: PIMP OUR TORP PLANES!! And get this guy a degree in psychology/psychiatry!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your response speaks for itself. You see "ideas" here as a zero sum game, and that your ideas should be placed before all others. That is not the subject of this thread. This is not my ideas vs your ideas, or your ideas vs anyone else.

The aircraft, as simply the centerpiece 3d objects in this game, are modelled with various damage elements but the crew/pilots are not modelled. It is in fact, "one last element" that needs to be modelled WITH REFERENCE TO AIRCRAFT. Its not exclusive of any other issues.

Your long rants are not constructive here on this thread because you see this as some sort of attack on your long list of things you see that need priority over all others. Some might consider that an integrated DM of the crew 3d models is more important than having them turn their heads which is currently modelled.

I am not concerned with priority of ideas as you see them. You are posting in a maner which is suggestive of children in a large family seeking attention from a parent.

I am not interested in another degree. I already have two degrees and work in a law office, but thank you for your interest in my education. I also am published in two aviation journals on a regular basis, both in the US and in England.

With words like "Pimp" and "Dig Dude" perhaps I you could educate me in your street level world. On the otherhand, been dare done dat too.

Try being more constructive in your presentation of ideas in a more adult fashion and start them on another thread. Perhaps you will get somewhere other than just "talk." Maybe the large corporation, known as 1C, will bother reading your posts.

Cheers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WWMaxGunz
02-08-2005, 12:27 PM
Something else is missing, I think.

Except for drop tanks, fuel tanks are inside the plane.
When they get holes, fuel only leaks outside, only burns outside.
Takes a very long time on fire for a plane to go down as well.

Reality... leaking fuel inside, once the fumes got to the engine
there was often something lit them. And wings into fuselage I
can't say but there are cables and linkages go between. Fire
inside damages planes was a major concern and cause for bailout.

Chuck_Older
02-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Yes, but the flip side of that is a redundancy of systems that we don't have in the sim

Mjollnir111675
02-10-2005, 06:55 AM
Quote by Wingstrut: " ALL that Barnum and Bailey Bullsh!t"

"I work in a law office"

A-HA!! Ya know I was wondering where you were getting all of this attitude from.

It also explains why you felt the need to bring up your education and the career of yours!!
You constantly battle with your lack of decency towards humans and your imagination has been vaporized due to dealing with the worst ppl on a daily basis!! So you may feel that any idea useful or not sure beats what your contributions to society are.

1) I never said anyones idea was any better or worse than any others!! "Better to see"= MORE USEFUL!! But better or worse? That my friend was your little trick done in the courtroom with smoke and mirrors!!

2) I now see where you get this insatiable urge to see this slumped man.
I could guess but I am sure it has to do with one of the following:
a) You constantly see slumped ppl in pictures of car wrecks,

b) You see ceo's of companies slumped over as you tell them of an impending corporate take-over,
c) you picture a certain game dev who cant through your "noble trade" release a game cuz of some legal crud that you or ppl of your ilk have dug up.
Legal crud that noone cares about, noone should care about or probably would have been overlooked!! But not when we have sharp whips like you on call,huh?
or perhaps;
d) you liken your business victories (and therfore aerial victories) to seeing someone slump in a (courtroom) chair.

But you see when most ppl look at your profession most see a person who lives off of other ppls pain, misfortune and all of the bad things in life!!
And so tell me Mr.Matlock,
which character in which John Grisham book was modelled after you?
Until you have that answer why dont you get off the "I am a lawyer and better than you" and "slang from the street level" TIP!
And it hasn't a darned thing to do with "street level" or "slang", that anyone uses here or anywhere else in the world.
It comes from you being conditioned to be an @rs..umm a lawyer. You're not to blame as all lawyers are creeps!! Just consider it your fraternity!! And consider yourself a letterman!!

Oh yeah and lastly tell your paralegal I really like how she stayed in for lunch to type up your book read response!!
Did you have to consult with your cronies to come up with any of those posts befoer you gave it to her to proof read and then post?
and thanks for the "how to" on posting to a company!! Totally useful info!!

HEY 1-C: PIMP OUR TORP PLANES!! Just for the "ambulance chasers" in "THA HOUSE"!!

Shawdawg
02-22-2005, 11:27 PM
I'll tell u another thing that's a problem with the pilots getting killed....if the pilot gets killed, the rest of the crew can't bail out, cause the pilot controls it.

Try using a gun on the Soviet Bomber pilot, u kill him, the rest of the crew can't bail.

ManicGibber
02-24-2005, 12:51 AM
I'm finding this thread very good reading.
BTW I would like to see a slumped gunna or co- pilot in my squads planes after we have finished our mission and are returning to base, that's when you can see inside other planes while flying in formation. Also the smoke from the ships while burning should bend and stretch way back from the direction they sailed from.

ImpStarDuece
02-24-2005, 12:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shawdawg:
I'll tell u another thing that's a problem with the pilots getting killed....if the pilot gets killed, the rest of the crew can't bail out, cause the pilot controls it.

Try using a gun on the Soviet Bomber pilot, u kill him, the rest of the crew can't bail. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true. I get PKs all the time on He-111s from head on cockpit hits in Extreme-one and Poymando's great BoB campaign. Crews often bail out, even if pilot and co-pilot are dead.

LuckyBoy1
02-24-2005, 02:33 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz