PDA

View Full Version : On Topic: How to be heard by Ubi/Maddox Games......

LEBillfish
09-13-2006, 11:57 PM
Hello All;

It's rather stunning, perhaps simply a result of easily performed digital communication, the anonymity that seems to come with the internet.....Or perhaps how radio and TV are deliberately testing the boundaries of socially acceptable behavior through programming and language allowed. On the other hand, it could simply be the lingo of the time, "WTF, Pwns, ftw, etc. taking the place of more eloquent terms in a cost per bit sent and received communication world.

All and all however nothing has changed. State it how you want, yet basic good conduct and courtesy DEMANDS it of others. Anything contrary demanding in kind. We hear the word "respect" a lot. As in "I deserve respect simply because I exist". Guess what? Contrary to what you have been told or taught in our little politically correct world, you deserve nothing, and must fight and claw for it all. The truth is the same as it always has been, it may be called respect, yet is really nothing more then courtesy as we only "really" respect those we admire.

Now that sounds like everyone has to be a little toughguy, bulling their way about talking loud and demanding. In truth it's the opposite. Only those feeling powerless, vulnerable act as though they are all powerful. My husband has C.E.O.'s, Generals, politicians here regularly....It becomes clear rather quickly who is really powerful of the lot and who simply holds title. Those with power, authority, who are just and right in their cause are calm. Why not they're in control?.....They know when they speak all know they mean it and those who don't are of such a lesser plane of authority they don't understand.

So what does that mean regarding this sim, it's developer and the distributor Ubi?

As far as the sim and it's development, if you start off with "WTF?!!!" or "This is porked, what are you stupid?!!".....Well, I'd bet that's about as far as they read no matter how true your correction or gripe may be. In kind, those who develop this sim really do it for not a lot of money, many for nothing but the excitement of seeing their creation shared with others. Now these guys it's my guess must love this stuff........Meaning, learning and applying it is rewarding for them. So if you present your data, and real data not opinion or "I heards".....My guess is they'll look at it and from what I've seen apply it IF possible. Some things aren't. Yet these folks don't have time to respond to every post....Simply know their love of this sim probably exceeds any of ours so trust in that and them to do what they can.

Speaking of, remember, these guys eat too.....and a sim could be tweaked from now till dooms day, if you don't understand why then know it's simply above your knowledge and leave it at that (what I have to do).....So in the end they have to decide "fix this plane, or feed my kids, plane, kids, kids, plane?"....They will only get paid for certain things, and no amount of complaining will change that..........So why hammer on them.

As to Ubi?.....Well who cares huh?...They're a big business, beat the cwap out of them who cares?.............Well, first off, you're not. You're beating the cwap out of the generous people here called moderators who for nothing, day in and day out spend their time to protect you.

"Protect you from who?" you may ask, "that bi*ch Billfish?"...Well yes, and the spammers of spyware p*rn, advertising, those that come here to just disrupt because they're so pathetic they get jollies from it and on and on.....

In addition, they are here to try and help which they do quite well......Often spending their time repeating the same thing 1,000 times over as "surely my issue is not like the next guys so why look?"..............Yet they do it. So when you hammer on them, you're hammering on your one sure ally. In kind, they have neither the power nor authority to make Ubi do anything. They can inform Ubi, yet how inspired do you think they are to do so when you beat the h*ll out of them first, hammering on them, then demand this or that when they are a 100x more dedicated consumer then you?

Lastly, anyone here who has used the most miniscule amount of common sense when having an issue that is Ubi/the distributor oriented and contacted them directly.......Well, did you contact the right individual or group, did you speak with controlled authority as a consumer or rant on like some tantrum throwing child?....Remember, it's just as easy to hit the delete key when an email is rude or unrestrained as it is to read it.

If you have an issue, need something, want something.........Use the same amount of courtesy you seem to DEMAND for yourself. State it in reasonable terms as though you know what you're speaking of and if not then state your want to be educated.

Seriously.......The delete key or simply ignoring is the justified persons tools....Don't give them justification, make it so you can demand the courtesy, as you have given it.

Or.......

Be prepared to receive in kind.....

How it works real life. Same same here.

Daiichidoku
09-14-2006, 12:13 AM
ummm...sorry Bill...didnt hear ya

just too many words to read

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

vocatx
09-14-2006, 12:27 AM
Good post, Billfish.

Esel1964
09-14-2006, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by LEBillfish:
Hello All;

It's rather stunning, perhaps simply a result of easily performed digital communication, the anonymity that seems to come with the internet.....Or perhaps how radio and TV are deliberately testing the boundaries of socially acceptable behavior through programming and language allowed. On the other hand, it could simply be the lingo of the time, "WTF, Pwns, ftw, etc. taking the place of more eloquent terms in a cost per bit sent and received communication world.

All and all however nothing has changed. State it how you want, yet basic good conduct and courtesy DEMANDS it of others. Anything contrary demanding in kind. We hear the word "respect" a lot. As in "I deserve respect simply because I exist". Guess what? Contrary to what you have been told or taught in our little politically correct world, you deserve nothing, and must fight and claw for it all. The truth is the same as it always has been, it may be called respect, yet is really nothing more then courtesy as we only "really" respect those we admire.

Now that sounds like everyone has to be a little toughguy, bulling their way about talking loud and demanding. In truth it's the opposite. Only those feeling powerless, vulnerable act as though they are all powerful. My husband has C.E.O.'s, Generals, politicians here regularly....It becomes clear rather quickly who is really powerful of the lot and who simply holds title. Those with power, authority, who are just and right in their cause are calm. Why not they're in control?.....They know when they speak all know they mean it and those who don't are of such a lesser plane of authority they don't understand.

So what does that mean regarding this sim, it's developer and the distributor Ubi?

As far as the sim and it's development, if you start off with "WTF?!!!" or "This is porked, what are you stupid?!!".....Well, I'd bet that's about as far as they read no matter how true your correction or gripe may be. In kind, those who develop this sim really do it for not a lot of money, many for nothing but the excitement of seeing their creation shared with others. Now these guys it's my guess must love this stuff........Meaning, learning and applying it is rewarding for them. So if you present your data, and real data not opinion or "I heards".....My guess is they'll look at it and from what I've seen apply it IF possible. Some things aren't. Yet these folks don't have time to respond to every post....Simply know their love of this sim probably exceeds any of ours so trust in that and them to do what they can.

Speaking of, remember, these guys eat too.....and a sim could be tweaked from now till dooms day, if you don't understand why then know it's simply above your knowledge and leave it at that (what I have to do).....So in the end they have to decide "fix this plane, or feed my kids, plane, kids, kids, plane?"....They will only get paid for certain things, and no amount of complaining will change that..........So why hammer on them.

As to Ubi?.....Well who cares huh?...They're a big business, beat the cwap out of them who cares?.............Well, first off, you're not. You're beating the cwap out of the generous people here called moderators who for nothing, day in and day out spend their time to protect you.

"Protect you from who?" you may ask, "that bi*ch Billfish?"...Well yes, and the spammers of spyware p*rn, advertising, those that come here to just disrupt because they're so pathetic they get jollies from it and on and on.....

In addition, they are here to try and help which they do quite well......Often spending their time repeating the same thing 1,000 times over as "surely my issue is not like the next guys so why look?"..............Yet they do it. So when you hammer on them, you're hammering on your one sure ally. In kind, they have neither the power nor authority to make Ubi do anything. They can inform Ubi, yet how inspired do you think they are to do so when you beat the h*ll out of them first, hammering on them, then demand this or that when they are a 100x more dedicated consumer then you?

Lastly, anyone here who has used the most miniscule amount of common sense when having an issue that is Ubi/the distributor oriented and contacted them directly.......Well, did you contact the right individual or group, did you speak with controlled authority as a consumer or rant on like some tantrum throwing child?....Remember, it's just as easy to hit the delete key when an email is rude or unrestrained as it is to read it.

If you have an issue, need something, want something.........Use the same amount of courtesy you seem to DEMAND for yourself. State it in reasonable terms as though you know what you're speaking of and if not then state your want to be educated.

Seriously.......The delete key or simply ignoring is the justified persons tools....Don't give them justification, make it so you can demand the courtesy, as you have given it.

Or.......

Be prepared to receive in kind.....

How it works real life. Same same here.

Testify,I agree eventhough I can admit to part of the 'moderator agitatorism(new word http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif)-from asking dumb questions'

The Mods have my utmost respect,because I used to operate a site where I had to deal with what I call "trolls"-as you say one that would rather throw a handful of cr*p against a wall,just to irritate,rather than even enter the realm of legitimate conversation.

LEBillfish
09-14-2006, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Daiichidoku:

Ah sorry, let me rephrase for you hon....

See D*ck download
See D*ck throw a fit
See Jane want
See Jane ask nice
See D*ck get nothing
See Jane get what she wants
See Spot run
See....Spot has no thumbs so can't use a joystick so just chases cats instead.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

How's that?

BBB_Hyperion
09-14-2006, 02:25 AM
So Oleg included your proposed bug reports in his daily work and ordered to have em fixed ?

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Or is that just a new strategy to pull pressure from ubi 1c to release something or say something http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

stanford-ukded
09-14-2006, 04:51 AM
With all due respect, Billfish, what you have posted may well be correct and proper, but those who it is intended for are exactly those who are not going to read it. I'm confident you're preaching to the coverted.

I can see why things get out of hand with few responses from the devs, but as you say 99% of the posts here don't warrant one anyway. Trying to calm down this Zoo, while noble, is ultimately a waste of your much more valuable time. This seems to be a crowd that can not be tamed - or educated.

Still, it's always nice to see someone try.

Lucius_Esox
09-14-2006, 05:03 AM
LEBillfish,

I admire you for that post.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Have nice one.

ElAurens
09-14-2006, 05:37 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

SeaFireLIV
09-14-2006, 05:40 AM

And at the end of the day, it all comes down to just one paragraph.

han freak solo
09-14-2006, 07:09 AM
My husband has C.E.O.'s, Generals, politicians here regularly....It becomes clear rather quickly who is really powerful of the lot and who simply holds title. Those with power, authority, who are just and right in their cause are calm.

Interesting. Yet, ironic considering the source.

SithSpeeder
09-14-2006, 07:22 AM
Remember, it's just as easy to hit the delete key when an email is rude or unrestrained as it is to read it.
Actually, it's easier.

Good post. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

* _54th_Speeder *

sudoku1941
09-14-2006, 10:18 AM
What she posts is all well and good, but like everything in "real life" it isn't that cut and dried, is it?

Right now, I can state the major things wrong with this sim as nice as you please, and I get attacked from all sides by the fanbois and cheerleaders, who often use a lot less "courtesy" and "respect" in their posts than I do.

Also, considerations of people's kids aside, http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif if someone makes a post, no matter what the style, no matter how much @rse-kissing or how much sarcasm is in it; if their point is RIGHT, well, it's just RIGHT. Nobody likes to be criticized and nobody likes to be shown they're wrong. But, the smarter people suck it up and FIX the problem, eliminating it, and creating good will in the bargain. So what if you got "bagged on" and exposed? If you fix the problem, guess what? You still look like the hero, and nobody remembers the little laugh someone had at your expense.

Speaking of respect, that goes both ways, too. How do you think people feel when they come up with a sheaf of historical data, diagrams and support for fixing some element of the sim and the response they get is, "You is wrong, be sure; our top-secret data (which we can't name and can't cite from here) contradicts yours"?

Pretty condescending, no?

carguy_
09-14-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:

Oh well at least some confirmation that she is a female.

SeaFireLIV
09-14-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by carguy_:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:

Oh well at least some confirmation that she is a female. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep.

p.s Sorry about the giant sig, trying to fix. Photobucket messing about!

Monty_Thrud
09-14-2006, 11:07 AM
I quite agree Bill, i admire your front for saying so... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif...erm!...i'll go get me raincoat...

badaboom.1
09-14-2006, 11:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daiichidoku:

Ah sorry, let me rephrase for you hon....

See D*ck download
See D*ck throw a fit
See Jane want
See Jane ask nice
See D*ck get nothing
See Jane get what she wants
See Spot run
See....Spot has no thumbs so can't use a joystick so just chases cats instead.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

How's that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ummmmm.......Oleg bought a dog?If it's an American Bull Terrior I bet it's porked!....If it's a German Shepherd it's UFO UBER!!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

F6_Ace
09-14-2006, 12:01 PM
The post has a very noble sentiment but it's plain to see that even those posts entitled 'Dear Mr Maddox' or 'May I respectfully request' that go onto nicely ask if they can have feature XYZ included or problem ABC looked at receive as much developer attention as any other post.

i.e. Nada

BrewsterPilot
09-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Billfish, I don't know, sure it's a good post, sure, it's pure sense,

BUT

this place wouldn't be the same without the "WTF??? Fix this Oleg u n00b!" or "Oleg, c'mon, u know the uberspit 25lbs is porked, remove it" etc etc.

It just somehow is a part of this forum. . . http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

p1ngu666
09-14-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Daiichidoku:

indeed..
if u want to get there attention, just email them a pic with your message written across your funbags.

problem solved http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

OMK_Hand
09-14-2006, 02:14 PM
Hi LEBillfish.

'Respect', like so many others has apparently become a 'buzz' or 'weasel' word, with meaning somewhat removed from the traditional. E.G 'Whining' used to be a sound made by something in deperate need of lubrication.
Bearing in mind that development is now said to be finished, aren't those who still repeatedly call for changes to this game, then getting supposedly narked and often aggressive at the resulting debate ultimately just having fun?

Genuinely getting upset about such things at this stage seems a bit, well, what's the point? Surely it's not to tell the rest of us what fools we are for liking this shambles?

sudoku1941
09-14-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by OMK_Hand:
Hi LEBillfish.

'Respect', like so many others has apparently become a 'buzz' or 'weasel' word, with meaning somewhat removed from the traditional. E.G 'Whining' used to be a sound made by something in deperate need of lubrication.
Bearing in mind that development is now said to be finished, aren't those who still repeatedly call for changes to this game, then getting supposedly narked and often aggressive at the resulting debate ultimately just having fun?

Genuinely getting upset about such things at this stage seems a bit, well, what's the point? Surely it's not to tell the rest of us what fools we are for liking this shambles?

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

This piety about forum "respect" and "decorum" is much ado about nothing. I have more respect for good valid points and well-presented arguments than I do for "aw-shucks" eggshell walking and false modesty.

OMK_Hand
09-14-2006, 02:27 PM
Just for the record, my use of the word 'shambles' was an attempt at irony. This is the best value for money and most consistently enjoyable game I have ever played.

leitmotiv
09-14-2006, 03:43 PM
Three cheers for Billfish and stanford-uked. Gratuitous incivility and coarseness should not be acceptable. There is a silly notion they are "sincere" or that civility is "optional" or "out-of-date." Civility is how we manage to get by on this planet without having to get the adrenal gland pumping constantly---not a healthy way to live.