PDA

View Full Version : Off to the Grand Banks in '41

Rocky_985
10-13-2005, 10:11 AM
It's now the end of '41 and I've just been posted to the CB area with my IXC. I know Iv'e probably been thru all of this with you guys before but I am asking again. In my most realistic settings yet (80%), how do I cheat the Atlantic? I am now 1\3 the way across and have calculated that the only way of doing this is at dead slow on the surface. Sitting here for hours on end and running submerged so that I can run at 1\3 ahead is not my cup o tea. Is there not a way to just cheat a little? I mean at least get the "Doldrums" part out of the way a little more quickly?

tatarjj
10-13-2005, 10:57 AM
Umm... ahead 1/3 is not the most fuel effecient speed, and if you keep it that way, you wont be able to make it back to base. Go ahead slow, which is 7-9 knots in the IXC. You will have plenty of fuel to make it across, and plenty of fuel to make it back, as long as you dont go chasing contacts around on the surface at flank speed. As for the trip across the Atlantic being boring... maybe you dont have the patience to play this game. It only takes something like 40 mins to cross the Atlantic in 1024X without any breaks, and not only that, if you are using 1.04b unmodded, the middle of the Atlantic should be packed pretty full of ships. In fact, in my first IXC patrol to the waters off of North America, I got to my patrol grid off Halifax with only 6 torpedos left. That's when I decided to install a mod that reduced the number of enemy ships.
If you ARE in a drought of enemy ships to attack as you cross the Atlantic, make frequent dives to periscope depth and listen for enemy ships with the hydrophones. Or you can get a book- I read Janes Naval History of World War II to break up boring streches of time.

Kaleun1961
10-13-2005, 12:38 PM
I recommend adjusting time compression settings to allow for higher TC. You can do this manually, but there is a mod called Wolfie's Tweek Pack which will allow you to customize the many different TC parameters, ie near land, enemy sighted, etc.

If you have a high spec system you can bump your TC up to 2048 or 4096. I hit Ctrl + F8 to display my frame rate then ratchet up the TC to 2048. My frame rate drops to 10-20, which is acceptable. I can on occasion, especially submerged, get up to 4096 for a while, however, the inevitable contact reports and nearby lone ships knock the frame rate down to as low as 1-5, which is too slow.

Believe me, at 2048, your journies should go by more quickly, especially when you get out past England and Ireland and away from the single ship lanes.

Hope this helps.

Rocky_985
10-13-2005, 12:45 PM
You obviously didn't read me right. I am at dead slow and and had calculated I wouldn't make it back at 1\3 ahead. I did run close enough to one C3 to take it out on the way but so far all others were not worth chasing considering fuel conservation and all. I would just like to be able to skip the long haul.

Kaleun1961
10-13-2005, 12:58 PM
Another benefit of SH3 Commander is that it allows you to choose your next patrol zone.

Another alternative is to just manually add the renown for completing your patrol zone. I will occasionally do this if I encounter a convoy on the way out and expend all of my torpedoes in a running battle. I figure I should not be deprived of the 800 renown if I've put in a good show battling a convoy and sinking a pile of tonnage. You don't get awarded renown for reaching your patrol zone but you find a convoy and sink a pile of shipping? Come on! Feel free to edit.

paulhager
10-13-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Rocky_985:
You obviously didn't read me right. I am at dead slow and and had calculated I wouldn't make it back at 1\3 ahead. I did run close enough to one C3 to take it out on the way but so far all others were not worth chasing considering fuel conservation and all. I would just like to be able to skip the long haul.

I was a Type IX jockey in several previous careers - really liked it. You'll find that if you are ordered west of Gibralter or Freetown, the Carribbean is in range. Go there and take up station in the vicinity of the passage north of Port of Spain. The port seems to breed tankers. You don't have to do anything special: all three tanker types will sail by. DD's do patrol the area so you'll have to watch out for them. Before 1943 you can rack up quite a score if you are patient and careful.

Rocky_985
10-13-2005, 02:18 PM
Thank you all for your input. Since letting the game run and coming here, it seems I've been wiped out. Now I'm back to mid Atlantic and that C3 which is where I last saved.I get to sink it all over again and go back to my trudging along. Kal, I am looking into Wolfies and Commander as we speak.

Kaleun1961
10-13-2005, 05:58 PM
I'm sure you will find Wolfie's stuff valuable. There is also another mod which allows you to randomize the crush depth of your sub. It adds an element of risk and surprise to those deep dives.

Whether you use any other mods, SH3 Commander is one that I highly recommend, since it allows you flexibility in how you want to play, as well as letting you customize your crew and their qualifications.