PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Solved the overheating problem yet?

RC_Cyrin
11-02-2004, 09:27 PM
I know alot of people have been having freezes, shutdowns, and overheating problems with PF. i was just curious if anyone with a Geforce 6800 that was having these problems has figured out the cause and/or a solution yet.

ElAurens
11-02-2004, 09:32 PM
It almost certainly has to be a driver issue. I just hope that Maddox Games/Nvidia can comeup wit a fix.

Ruy Horta
11-03-2004, 12:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RC_Cyrin:
I know alot of people have been having freezes, shutdowns, and overheating problems with PF. i was just curious if anyone with a Geforce 6800 that was having these problems has figured out the cause and/or a solution yet. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a x800XT PCIE and with PF running closed to maxed for specs the machine runs terribly hot.

Unlike many other games PF is also extremely demanding of the CPU (and even soundcard - or that part is just sloppy coding - sorry bit disappointed to see the same crappy use of high end sound cards, not the sound itself, but the high impact on the FPS regardless of the high end soundcard's ability to take over in the sound department) and the combined extreme use produces extreme heat.

FB+AEP+PF is the only game that produces this deadly combination on my machine and I am currently running my PC with the side panel off.

It lowers the temp by about 10-20c.

MY only advice is to lower the temps by getting good third part coolers and try to get down the case temperature in general.

Irony is that I just bought a silent case and PSU to fight noise only to find that the isolaion padding raises the the case temp by some 6-10c.

Stock CPU coolers on the P4 3.4 sound like a friggin turbine when the CPU reaches its load temperature.

BTW anyone in Holland reading this and interested in a once used Zalman GPU cooler send me a PM. You'll have to get some cooling paste but I've saved you the initial montage on this baby.

tanimbar
11-03-2004, 03:04 AM
I discovered years ago (wrote on this forum)that no amount of small internal fans, in any arrangement, were going to cool my PC without being marginal in terms of heat dissipation and extremely noisy. So I took the jet engine route - got a big, external, floor-standing fan, 14 inches, ripped off the side and top panels and hence manage to shovel huge quantities of air into the case and out of the top. And with only a low frequency hum, not the banshee wail of smaller fans. Much more pleasant.

Drawbacks - untidy, ugly, more noise from the box e.g. power supply.

Benefits - cheap, simple solution - it works.

By the way, I'm lazy and my moto is 'keep it simple, stupid'; I don't see the point in my trying to over-engineer a cooling solution that has eluded professional case designers.

Hunde_3.JG51
11-03-2004, 08:56 AM
Quick question:

I have never had a single problem with FB or AEP, but since installing PF I get random hangs. The screen freezes and the sound loops in short clicks. Could this be overheat issue?

I did a complete reinstall after defrag for the reason above but ti didn't solve my problem.

Thanks for any info.

RC_Cyrin
11-03-2004, 02:56 PM
yes, that sounds like overheating or a bad display driver. I too am currently running with the side panel off and a fan blowing inside it. I dont think this is just a driver issue. I think it has something to do with the way the game was coded, or perhaps something with the 6800 card itself. I can run many graphic intensive games, such as Doom 3 and Far Cry, on max video settings without ever overheating. My system scored around 10000 on 3Dmark03, so I know I should be able to handle the graphics PF has. If someone that has a Geforce 6800 would be gracious and post their video card settings, I would be most appreciative. Perhaps I just have something set wrong....*crosses fingers*. There are people out there with less of a sytem running on perfect with no overheationg, there has to be a solution...

ddsflyer
11-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Had the same problem and solved the problem with a new case, a Lian Li PC6077B, all aluminum with 2 fans in front drawing in air, large vent in the bottom, 2 fans in rear blowing out plus the power supply fans and one fan in a top mounted blowhole. Now, no more crashes even when running for hours with the videocard in overdrive.

roybaty
11-03-2004, 03:26 PM
I can't believe game software can be blammed for hardware overheating. Are you perchance overclocking your GPU or CPU.

My advice. Get a new case, or mod your case with additional intake fans in the side panel (worked for my overheating problems). Modding takes some simple tools (dremal or hole saw) and put on a nice fangrill to make it look pretty http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

RC_Cyrin
11-03-2004, 06:54 PM
How can you not blame the game,. as I posted earlier, I can run games alot more graphic intensive than PF with no overheating problems whatsoever. PF is the only game I have ever played that makes my computer overheat, so obviously it is something with the game.

Hunde_3.JG51
11-03-2004, 07:10 PM
I have a high end case and a 9800pro. I run everything on excellent 1600x1200 2xAA, 2xAF. No overclocking at all. It would be weird if it is overheat but like I said I never had a problem before, in any game. Maybe it is coding, maybe it is overheat, who knows.

tanimbar
11-04-2004, 10:26 AM
Hunde_3,
Seems to me that IL2/PF series pushes cpu, graphics, sound, memory etc about as much as anything can and concurrently. The result is a lot of heat and bits storming through the mobo. I suspect it is the mobo on our boxes that causes the micro-stutters - it just has too many bits travelling through a heat stressed system. Result = micro-stutters across graphics, sound and gameports. So, for example, on a hot day when playing IL2, my system will stutter in graphics and sound but also the gameport - I get the dreaded gun fire delay of 0.25 to 05 seconds ebfore the guns/cannons fire after the trigger is pulled. Also, the stick has a sloppy, delayed response feel to it. If I speed up my big fan (14 inch floor standing - open cases etc - see note above) after about 30 to 60 seconds all the stutters stop. The whole system has cooled down, including the mobo, the data transmission heart.

It might be worth your while experimenting with a big fan - cheap and can't hurt your PC.

Good luck

Typ356
11-04-2004, 11:01 AM
>I have never had a single problem with FB or AEP, but since installing PF I get random hangs. The screen freezes and the sound loops in short clicks. Could this be overheat issue?

Are you running an Athlon CPU ? I have had the exact same issue with ALL the CPU/graphic intensive games I've run this year... Cahnged video card and sound card to no avail.

Must be heat... I installed motherboard monitor 5 which logs temps at regular intervals to a file... After each and every crash my temps were above 50 degrees C. Never crashed below. Soemtimes 54+, but anothying above 50... I can't get the **** thing cool no matter what - my case has a gazillion fans, fresh thermal paste, clean cooler, I think I'll switch to Intel this time !

Weather_Man
11-04-2004, 11:07 AM
I've had to up the CPU voltage a few notches to get PF stable. I am overclocking the CPU, but just found it interesting this is the first game or app that locked up the with settings I had (including prime95). It is very demanding.

BTW, it has not crashed yet since raising the vcore.

LBR_Barkhorn
11-04-2004, 11:14 AM
Typ356, change your processor cooler (i have an AMD atlhon, like you). I ve had this overheating problem too, my CPU always marked 54-59 degrees in AIDA32. I solved this overheating problem with a Master Aero 7+, the temperature is now between 40-45 degrees in AIDA32, and the game is running better. Remember, the best temperature for CPU run at his best is between 28-30 degrees (at least i remeber that from my "Computer Internal Arquiteture" class from University... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif)

Electro_City
11-04-2004, 11:20 AM
The most important thing most people forget about, when they are overheating even with a decent amount of coolers, is case air flow.

You must make sure the air gets an unimpeded flow from the front of the case, up to the cpu and then out. Sloppy ide/sata cable positioning will usually be the culprit.

Quite important too is the gpu cooling, putting say your soundcard or network card in the pci slot right below the agp slot, may result in occasional freezing. Usually this is not the gpu overheating, but rather the card below it, because it is getting a continual stream of hot air.
The AMD site has rather useful diagrams on how your airflow should be, and I suspect what is true for AMD is true for Intel as well.

crazyivan1970
11-04-2004, 11:21 AM
Anything up to 60C is acceptable for CPU... anything after that causes performance decrease and instability. Same for GPU pretty much.

I don`t have much of a problem, cause i use this :

http://www.swiftnets.com/assets/images/products/H20-120/H20-120-P.gif

pacettid
11-04-2004, 11:22 AM
My system specs:
2.8 gig P.4 processor, 8K cache
875 PBZ intel Mobo with 800 FSB
6800GT OC

Game settings:
1280X960 resolution
OpenGl with Perfect mode
Bilinear filtering
No Dither
4X FSAA
Anistropic filtering application controlled
Texture quality high
MipMaps set for performance
Vertical Synch on

Have run PF for significant periods of time without overheating the CPU. With the settings listed above I normally average about 38 fps.

All that said, I do believe there is a memory leak in the code, and the sim definitely taxes your PC, but the overheating you are experiencing is case/fan related.

ddsflyer
11-04-2004, 12:06 PM
I originally tried to build a very quiet, air cooled PC with my current config. I didn't want to mess with water cooling. I used a Zalman CPU cooler and quiet, low speed fans in a steel case. The loudest component was the videocard fan. After a while the airflow coming out of the case was VERY hot! Now, with faster turning fans (louder) and more of them, the airflow is considerably cooler and freezes are a thing of the past. I always paid attention to airflow design but having a top mounted blowhole to lift the hot air out of the top of the case really helps. I use Vantec stealth fans which are still relatively quiet so the whole thing is still pretty quiet, just not silent anymore.