PDA

View Full Version : What Stick to get?

AtorianPaladin
12-25-2004, 01:53 PM
Hi all, my Logitech went nutz, so i have to buy a new stick. Logiteck 3d thing doesnt work with PF.

Iv been looking at Saiteck. id love to know what is good for under $150. Im probably going to get a HOTAS system, w/o rudder pedals.

AtorianPaladin
12-25-2004, 02:02 PM
i just read that the Saiteck X45 is good? can anyone affirm that?

AtorianPaladin
12-25-2004, 02:04 PM
I heard that the Saitek x45 HOTAS is good? can anyone back that up?

Martial1
12-25-2004, 02:17 PM
Joysticks are like houses, you will never find the exact style to fit your exact wish list so you have to build your own if you want perfection. It might be a good time to build your own!!

Regards

The martial

Bearcat99
12-25-2004, 02:55 PM
For the price there is nothing that can compete with the X45. It is a good stick. If you prefer a twist handle rudder solution then you might want to consider the X52 from Saitek. There is a link to a reconditioned X45 for $39 US. I would provide it but I dont have my PC..... maybe someone can supply the link.

Daiichidoku
12-25-2004, 04:03 PM
They stopped making them, but if you can find one, grab a microsoft sidewinder precision pro 2...or even a mspp1, or mspp force feedback

you wont be sorry

there is even a mspp2 in a local radio shack that is used for demo on the PCs there...im gonna try to buy it off them, even tho its been there and used probably several years now...they're that good

sauron6
12-25-2004, 05:00 PM
?? MS uses cheap parts in their sticks. I've had two FFB2's, the first ones powersupply worked when it wanted to, the others (which I just replaced with an X52) pot's went nuts. It had little or no control over the rudder, which wandered around (on the first stick, it was just jittery with little wander), and gave jittery readings.
The backlash is pretty bad, too, because of the motors being used to center it.
I had a Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro ages ago, and it had non-contact technology like the X52 which I just got, and gave smooth and accurate readings for over 3 years before giving out (I'd get all new gear within 3 years anyways!).
Not sure just what changes there are on the MS PP2, so I won't comment on it.

Tully__
12-25-2004, 05:55 PM
I use and enjoy the X-45, but joysticks are subject to personal preference. Try before you buy if you can.

For more information on choosing and setting up joysticks for this game, click the "Joysticks..." link under my signature picture.

knightflyte
12-25-2004, 06:29 PM
My first stick was a Logitec. I like it....for about 4 months. The forse feedback was excellent, giving a good sense of stall and pulling on the stick during high G manuevers. But, it lost its accuracy in centering and the rudder twist would never allow for true straight flight.

I bought a Saitek X45. Mmmmmmm delicous. I love it. But....(there's ALWAYS a but)...The stick was sometimes sticky. It would bind and cause over control when you line up to shoot. It didn't do it all the time....but enough that I thought there must be a good option.
(The HOTAS portion of the stick is AWESOME!)

Soooooooo. I just bought a Saitek EVO Force. The stick is SMOOTH like butter. The force feedback isn't as strong as the Logitec... but it's decent. I can customise the stick to fit my hand, and surprisingly it makes a difference.

My shots ARE more accurate...A LOT more accurate. I will now hook up my X45 with the EVO Force to make a good HOTAS.

I haven't tried the X52, It looks great, but I've heard a lot of complaints about a TOO LARGE dead zone.

So, I'd recommend going to Saitek's site and looking under their refurbished section for an X45, and then buying a Saitek EVO Force. (or NON FORCE)

regards,
Robert

Once you go Track... you never go back.

SkyPiggies
12-26-2004, 12:10 PM
I had a Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro ages ago

Heh... I'm still using one of these critters now

Not bad, but too few buttons (got a Nostromo n50 to fix that)

SkyPiggies
12-26-2004, 12:15 PM
And of course, if it hadn't worn out I would still be using...

http://members.shaw.ca/susanmc/joy0127b.JPG

noshens
12-26-2004, 03:37 PM
using microsoft ffb2 since orginal IL2. That joystick is acemaker.

ROTC4612
12-26-2004, 07:08 PM
I love my Freedom 2.4 chordless, works great

Vortex_uk
12-26-2004, 07:18 PM
Saitek Cyborg USB is a pretty decent stick...hardly any problems, handles and lasts well.

But i'm looking for a new stick also..i got my eye on that X52, whats that like? And is it worth the 99.99? And also 'Lefty' friendly?

-HH- Beebop
12-26-2004, 08:41 PM
Here's the link Bearcat mentioned to the Saitek reconditioned X-45:

http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/x45digjoyand1.html

Be sure to browse the rest of the site.

I use the X-45 and IMHO it's the best value for money around. The biggest complaint is the "Rudder Rocker" but I've gotten used to it. If your used to a twist stick rudder look at their X-52. The other complaint some have is durability but in my experience, unless you tend to slam the stick around, (not recommended in this game) the stick lasts a long time. The Couger seems to be the next best way to go but you're looking at a lot more money.

lucas_valentine
12-27-2004, 08:57 AM
MS Sidewinder Focefeedback 2 cannot be beaten. It's a fantastic stick which to my mind has no equal. I also have a MS Sidewinder precision 2 which is bloody good too. You can't get either of these in the shops anymore but you will find loads on Ebay.

Billy_BigBoy
12-27-2004, 03:41 PM
I started with a Logitech Something, great stick, but after 3 years Falcon 4.0 it quit on me.
Then I had a Trust Whatever, for 3 months. A really horrable stick with a tiny throttle on top of it.
Now I'm using an X-45, for almost 2 years now, and it's great. It uses some tweaking and some lots of programming and you'd better learn to play the piano with all those buttons, rotors and hats, but it flies like the best.

GreyFox5
12-27-2004, 04:30 PM
The Wife gave me a Saitek X52 for Christmas. Excellent Stick, Book that comes with it is basically useless. Gets the software installed but fails to go over programming the software. Set it up from inside the game IL2 at the Controls part of setup and works like a charm. The Deadzone thing seems to be that the stick has is built with no physical contacts so it seems that it has a huge deadzone. I don't believe this is the case. The stick is very smooth and doesn't provide much force to hold stick against your movements. The tension spring has little tension and is none adjustable. So that translates into large movements to get a reaction out of the plane. I think that is the root of the confusion on the Deadzone. The stick is layed out well and adjusts for hand size. It has 3 modes but I am unclear on how or if there are usable in IL2 FB+AEP+PF. The throttle is layed out well and the mouse stick is handy when you want to look around the map and not take hands off the Stick and Throttle. I believe there are 32 buttons on the stick/throttle combo. Only one USB port is required for both devices!
My 2 Cents http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Good Luck on your next stick!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/GreyFox5/109s.bmp