PDA

View Full Version : My aim sucks

Noni_15
09-08-2005, 09:03 AM
ARGH

I always seem to muff up when aiming, im trying to hold it steady then BOOM i miss completely. Espically with mk108s, i only shoot under 0.30.

I always dive on opponents (i love my bf109/fw190 p47), but even with the p47, following them on a turn and painting them with 50cals nothing, just fuel tank leaks.

Its annoying.

tigertalon
09-08-2005, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Noni_15:
Espically with mk108s, i only shoot under 0.30.

Wait. Wait until he fills your entire windscreen. Then you can't possibly miss.

As with .50 cals, good thread here:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/1281044253

Max.Power
09-08-2005, 09:16 AM
shooting over .2 is not really a great idea, especially when you're making high speed passes on maneovering aircraft. I would suggest practicing snap shots from close (< 200 yards) for the mk108. Like the gunnery training missions say (this goes double for the mk108). If you think you're leading enough, lead twice that distance, and that should be about on target.

Also, you might not be setting yourslef up for the best shot possible. Try making it so that you can have the aircraft stationary in your reticle for a moment. I usually fly german aircraft and it's not so much an issue with them, but I find that when I fly the p51, that the best way to score kills is to try to set up a shot where I can hit them with an extend bursts rather than snap shots.

These skills will come in time.

T_O_A_D
09-08-2005, 09:27 AM
This is why the 50's miss http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63110913/m/2231006943

Snap shots are bad practice with them. The target can actually fly through the gaps in the shot pattern.

You need to hold steady and hose them for a bit.

Chuck_Older
09-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Is this online, or off, Noni?

Offline, I think there's a small secret to the .50s, (well, any weapon) aside from practice and knowing what your convergance range really is in practical terms:

rudder control

I am updating a mission I made way way back, it is roughly based on an historical event in which a P-51D pilot en route home from Germany catches a pair of Me 262s landing and flames them both in one pass

With limited ammo in a P-51D, last night I flamed one 262 on the ground as it was taking off, damaged two others so they had one engine flame out each, and smoked the third as it cleared the runway

OK, 262s are easy to kill. Same mission, my #3 and #4 get themselves flamed for missing a bounce and overshooting. A Bf 109G6 late and his wingman cut them to shreds

I had about 3 seconds of ammo left (I hosed the runway hard previously)

First one second burst: Wingman Bf 109 G6 late gets blown in two from an explosion instantly. Dead six. Must have been perfectly at my convergance range

Second one second burst: Flight leader Bf109 G6 late gets tail shredded. Another one second burst folds up the starboard wing. I saved the track I was so impressed with myself. The last burst was with 4 guns because the other two had run out

All during these victories (Five in all) I was constantly adjusting trim, for both aileron and rudder at times, but mostly rudder. Also using tiny rudder inputs to lead my targets. Remember: even if the enemy is heading directly away from you and you are on his dead six, your plane may not be flying perfectly straight due to needing trim. A steady control of the rudder helps enormously

I suggest you practice aerobatics. Won't help your aim, but it will help your rudder control. then when it's time to pull the trigger, you'll be making these rudder inputs unconsciously and your bullets will go where you want them

PS I've never used convergance for any aircraft with any success, that is less than 270m. With 4.01, I reset to 300m and it works very well for me. Point being: your convergance is whatever range works for you, not what works for someone else http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif However, thi sim now requires a HOTAS setup in my opinion. On my X45, the tiny joystick on the throttle is pitch and roll trim, the thumbwheel is rudder trim. Without that, I'd be up sh!tcreek

VF-29_Sandman
09-08-2005, 10:12 AM
ugh, i cant remember the link, but maybe some1 has it. there was a referance page that was printed in the '40's to train usaf pilots in air to air gunnery using the gunsite; how to calculate lead, gunsite picture, etc. the Lw planes are a bit harder to shoot with, and .03 and over, u are basically out of range with wing guns. if u calculate and have the site picture right, u can accurately hit with p-38's from as far as .70. 38's have a much concentrated cone of fire, and the mk-108 wasnt a accurate long range weapon anyway.