PDA

View Full Version : general bug with radiators

XyZspineZyX
09-29-2003, 06:27 AM
Hello all,

playing around with the 109 I recognized the radiators opening very wide in auto mode.

I did a small test with the 109G6(normal) and the 190A8, flying at 3000m with warmed up engine and got the same result:

once the engine is warm (no overheat, just normal temperature) changing throttle between ~80% to 100% shows no significant change in performance (speed, acceleration, climb) as the radiators just open wider

from 100% to 110% throttle the performance increases again but now the engine overheats also

when you close the radiators by hand you get about the same performance at 90% like 110%(auto) at about "normal" engine temperatures

at 100% (manual closed) the engine shows the same overheating like 110% (auto open) but with much better performance

it seams to be the same for all planes, throttling slightly down with closed radiators gives better performance AND cooling then open radiators

quiet_man

second foundation member of the EURO_Snoopy fan club!

I'm quiet_man, but if I post I post quiet much /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-29-2003, 06:27 AM
Hello all,

playing around with the 109 I recognized the radiators opening very wide in auto mode.

I did a small test with the 109G6(normal) and the 190A8, flying at 3000m with warmed up engine and got the same result:

once the engine is warm (no overheat, just normal temperature) changing throttle between ~80% to 100% shows no significant change in performance (speed, acceleration, climb) as the radiators just open wider

from 100% to 110% throttle the performance increases again but now the engine overheats also

when you close the radiators by hand you get about the same performance at 90% like 110%(auto) at about "normal" engine temperatures

at 100% (manual closed) the engine shows the same overheating like 110% (auto open) but with much better performance

it seams to be the same for all planes, throttling slightly down with closed radiators gives better performance AND cooling then open radiators

quiet_man

I'm quiet_man, but if I post I post quiet much /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 04:47 PM
hmm, not even a flame response?

Was this already discussed to death and I missed it?

The problem is that closed radiators give perfect cooling in FB.

What's the point of having cooling flaps when reducing throttle is more efficient AND effective?

Why does the auto mode open the flaps without need?

How was this in reality?

quiet_man

XyZspineZyX
10-01-2003, 05:30 PM
Funny, that alot of ppl with zero or, near zero post count, places topics like these.

Like everybody is a WWII airwar encyclopedia nowadays.

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye
shall be judged: and with what
measure ye mete, it shall be
measured to you again.

http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/templates/subSilver/images/logo_phpBB.gif (http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/index.php)

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 10:33 AM
Platypus_1.JaVA wrote:
- Funny, that alot of ppl with zero or, near zero post
- count, places topics like these.
-

hmm, you mean gaining a number of posts by complaining about people who complain about bugs but have few posts makes someone able to complain?

what do you think "quiet_man" means?

or did you simply wanted to express that you don't understand what I'm saying?

Than you should post less complains about people complaining about bugs but having to less posts to complain!

So what do you complain about?

Regards,

quiet_man

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 10:40 AM
I love intelligent discussions /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

but as long as no one post something regarding the topic I will keep my mouth and radiators closed /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Regards,

quiet_man

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 12:03 PM
Platypus_1.JaVA wrote:
- Funny, that alot of ppl with zero or, near zero post
- count, places topics like these.
-
- Like everybody is a WWII airwar encyclopedia
- nowadays.
-

You mean topics that seem to make sense?

Like you need to be a walking encyclopedia to spot there's something wrong with radiators if what quiet-man says is right?

Or did you mean this subject has been covered in depth? If so it would have been more helpful to point quiet-man to the thread(s), rather than simply boost that all important post-count, whilst saying nothing useful at all. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif Did I miss your point?

Kernow
249 IAP

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 09:19 PM
quiet_man wrote:
- hmm, not even a flame response?
-

Uhh well, my previous one was. When ASKING for flame posts, you get them /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

- Was this already discussed to death and I missed it?
-

Not that I know of.

-
- The problem is that closed radiators give perfect
- cooling in FB.
-
- What's the point of having cooling flaps when
- reducing throttle is more efficient AND effective?
-
- Why does the auto mode open the flaps without need?
-
- How was this in reality?
-
-
-
You mean they open up when the throttle is set low? and close when the throttle is wide open? I think it was like this. When a pilot rammed his throttle forward, he wanted maximum performance. It could be that an enemy was on his 'six or, he wanted to get out of a tricky flying situaton. The last thing you'll want then, is the radiators opening wide.

When the pilot is just flying around or navigating, not alot of speed is necessary and the radiator opens up to cool the engine.

I found it strange at first too but, I think this is a reasonable explanation. I didn't understand your post at first.

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye
shall be judged: and with what
measure ye mete, it shall be
measured to you again.

http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/templates/subSilver/images/logo_phpBB.gif (http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/index.php)

XyZspineZyX
10-02-2003, 11:15 PM
Platypus_1.JaVA wrote:
- You mean they open up when the throttle is set low?
- and close when the throttle is wide open? I think it
- was like this. When a pilot rammed his throttle
- forward, he wanted maximum performance. It could be
- that an enemy was on his 'six or, he wanted to get
- out of a tricky flying situaton. The last thing
- you'll want then, is the radiators opening wide.
-

I think QM is saying that the opposite happens: he's found when you go from around 80% power to 100% you don't get any more performance because the cooling flaps just open up and create more drag, if they're in auto. It seems you're better off running the engine below max power in order to be able to keep the radiator closed, rather than running on full power, but having to open the radiator. At least, that's how I understood his findings /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Kernow
249 IAP