PDA

View Full Version : "To preorder or not to pre order ( Pacific Battles,) that is the question!"

jamesdietz
10-15-2004, 09:39 AM
I am ver very tempted to preorder Pacific Battle from the UBI site BUT it seems to me I remember when Forgitten Battles first was released that there was a great deal of moaning & knashing of teeth ( & not the good kind either,) by those who had preordered theirs from UBI ( & Gamestop etc.)& still not gotten it a week after those of us who had skipped ( figuratively) down to our EBGames store & bought it there...Do I remember correctly - should I just be patient knowing to preorder is ( literally) a waste of time???

steve_v
10-15-2004, 10:08 AM
I pre-order at EB. Just once, for whatever reason, the sim did not arrive on the release date. They refunded my $5 and I bought at another store. Don't see how you could go wrong.

bird_brain
10-15-2004, 10:25 AM
I pre-ordered from EB. It cost $10 to have it shipped next day, but it should arrive here at my office at the same time as they get it at the EB store. I won't have to drive around and look for it so I will save at least $5 in gas!
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif
I will let you know if it actually arrives on the due date.

-HH-Quazi
10-15-2004, 10:25 AM
Yea. If you are going to pre-order, do it at EB or the like, a place you can actually walk in to and pick it up. I wouldn't pre-order from anywhere I had to wait on them to mail it to me, for sure.

crazyivan1970
10-15-2004, 10:30 AM
I never pre-order. I just go and get it, seems much faster then waiting for order to come in. Just like with AEP, i got it next day after release... while others waited another week. So, pick up that phone and start calling around once it`s out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

bird_brain
10-15-2004, 10:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
Just like with AEP, i got it next day after release... while others waited another week. So, pick up that phone and start calling around once it`s out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Your the lucky one then.... with AEP, I called all over town the day after release and found 1 store with 1 copy. I drove 25 miles and they had sold it when I got there. I found another copy about 20 miles in the other direction a couple of days later. For some reason, the EB stores here only seem to get 1 or 2 copies at a time of a new release. Maybe there is not a big flightsim market here in Atlanta, GA.. All the stores had numerous copies about 2 weeks after it was released.

crazyivan1970
10-15-2004, 10:38 AM
So far has been lucky mate... IL-2, FB, AEP... all next day

TgD Thunderbolt56
10-15-2004, 10:45 AM
I have advocated AGAINST pre-ordering for years. Too many time I hear stories of getting games late or sometimes not at all without extensive b!tching.

This time, I pre-ordered at EB (which is where I usually purchase anyway) to guarantee myself a copy. I did this for 2 reasons. First, I felt compelled to show my support early. Second, I live in Daytona Beach where Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University calls home. All those wannabe pilots tend to scarf up every copy of every flight sim that hits the shelves.

Normally I don't mind, but when 1:C releases a title...it matters.

TB

NegativeGee
10-15-2004, 11:30 AM
Pre-order? what sort of doublespeak nonsense is that? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Sometimes I place my order in advance by a week or so at most, with retailers who have proved themselves reliable in the past.

El Turo
10-15-2004, 11:36 AM
My experience is that pre-ordering (or ordering in advance, if you prefer) is that it is an absolute useless practice. The stores have them usually at least a day before you receive it and you can walk in and buy one (after calling in advance and having them hold one at the register, right?) the same day everyone is going nuts on the forums about not receiving their super-duper-reserved-VIP-copy they bought six months ago.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

I wouldn't bother, but then, I've got 3-4 computer game stores within about 15 minutes of my house that I can drive to the night it comes out.

*shrug*

TX Rahman
10-15-2004, 11:54 AM
Yup I agree... I still have a copy of AEP in the box it shipped in...sealed. Arrived a week after I had bought the game locally.

Cajun76
10-15-2004, 12:01 PM
Ah, but if your in the US military and live overseas , your at the whims of AAFES. While some things they've gotten right in, (Doom3) titles like FB and AEP have shown up a week after I got my copy in the mail from EBGames. With my Gamespot discount, I actually get the game cheaper, and it negates my shipping cost. Win-win situation, so far.

Bearcat99
10-15-2004, 12:16 PM
EB for me too... I preordered FB, the AEP and PF.. so far in the forst two cases I had the sim on my HD by noon the day it was released. I NEVER pre order through the mail though. I did that once and got the product from Amazon @9 days after I had seen it plastered all over every retail store in my area...(CFS3.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif) after that I said no more. The nice thing about EB is that... you have to go pick it up but it is pretty much gauranteed to be there when all the other stores get it.. unless you live way out in the boonies somewhere.

adlabs6
10-15-2004, 12:34 PM
Then count me in the boonies!

I preordered FB from Amazon, and it arrived 4 or 5 days after release, even with the free shipping option. Still this was faster than my local store, which didn't get FB in stock for 2 weeks after release. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Intruder_GP
10-15-2004, 12:38 PM
pay a $5.00 advance at EB and the day it is out breeze into the store and out with the goodies

Supr
10-15-2004, 12:48 PM
I'm lucky, I live in the dallas area, its never been a problem finding any game the day its released. I've even found hw2 a day early

mortoma
10-15-2004, 03:22 PM
If you live in the US, and near even a moderately sized city, then no, it's not worth it. Sometimes pre-orderers get there copies more quickly than most of the store invaders, but that's an exception, not the rule. As for other countries, I'd suspect about the same thing. Most of the early birds get their copy at a store.

mortoma
10-15-2004, 03:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bird_brain:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
Just like with AEP, i got it next day after release... while others waited another week. So, pick up that phone and start calling around once it`s out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Your the lucky one then.... with AEP, I called all over town the day after release and found 1 store with 1 copy. I drove 25 miles and they had sold it when I got there. I found another copy about 20 miles in the other direction a couple of days later. For some reason, the EB stores here only seem to get 1 or 2 copies at a time of a new release. Maybe there is not a big flightsim market here in Atlanta, GA.. All the stores had numerous copies about 2 weeks after it was released. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>They sold it before you got there?? Well what I do once I locate a copy
over the phone is tell them to hold the thing for me!! After all I tell them I'm going to drive 45 miles or whatever to get it. I did that with AEP last year. I had located a copy by phoning every game store in Indiana, an EB store in Indianapolis said they had one. Told them I was going to drive 50 miles just to get the freekin thing so I gave them my name and told them to hold it for me. Happily, they were more than glad to hold it for me. They only care to sell the game, they couldn't care less to whom they sell it.

james_ander
10-15-2004, 03:33 PM
I will pre-order from EB which is really a waste of time. I think I'm the only flight sim freak in my tiny town.

PF_Talus
10-15-2004, 03:57 PM
Don't pre-order from ubi. I got AEP about a week after it was in stores.

Mispunt
10-15-2004, 06:56 PM
Pre-ordered form Play here in the UK, there's a risk I might not be able to play it on the day it's released but I will certainly pay less for it this way then I would where I to buy it in a store like Game. (If the extra profit would go to Maddox games it would have been a different matter http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

Artic_Wulf
10-15-2004, 07:13 PM
I found in Australia that you are better off buying PF from your Local Software retailer.

I was rather angry to find out Oleg and Teams work on PF has been pirated, fortunately the Il-2 Series has a fanatical World Wide following.

Report any Pirate activity people in regards to PF to your local authorities, make sure you buy your legal copy of PF.

S!

Owlsphone
10-15-2004, 07:15 PM
I've only preordered 1 game and that was Doom 3 just to make sure I'd actually get a copy. I went in 5 days before release and paid for the game in full. On release day, I walked into the EB Games and walked out with my copy not worrying about paying or anything. So I think from now on I will pre-order and get it at the store myself.

LEXX_Luthor
10-15-2004, 07:26 PM
Every game "generation" has Old Timer Noobs who warn the Newbies not to Pre~Order, but the Newbies don't listen until they find out for themselves. Then the Newbies become Old Timer Noobs warning the next generation of New Newbies not to Pre~Order, but the New Newbies don't listen until....

Nothing new under the FB sun.

bird_brain
10-15-2004, 07:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mortoma:
They sold it before you got there?? Well what I do once I locate a copy over the phone is tell them to hold the thing for me!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's what I did too, but the numbskull I talked to got off work & didn't tell his buddy.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif

DangerForward
10-15-2004, 07:27 PM
I tell myself I shouldn't pre-order, but then I always cave-in. This time I pre-ordered from the GreaterGreen site in hopes it would help them in some way, and I guess by side-effect it helps Hunter82...

TgD Thunderbolt56
10-15-2004, 09:13 PM
To clarify, my Pre-order is actually a reservation as i fully intend on picking it up at the store myself. All i've done is guarantee myself a copy without having to act like Arnold Schwarzenegger in that Christmas movie.

TB

TX-EcoDragon
10-15-2004, 11:19 PM
GameStop and EB seem to get it before the pre-order days. . . what I so is just request that they hold me a copy. . . so far that always works, and the guys that I know who pre-ordered usually get it a few days later and a few guys it a was over a week later.

jamesdietz
10-16-2004, 11:16 AM
Ok for everyone out there on the edge of their PCs waiting for my decision ( I think I can hear the sounds of crickets chirping...) here goes:first some of my own experience: when waiting for Forgotten Battles to be released I did follow someone's advice & preordered from Game Stop.In order to do so I had to go to the store & write a check for $20.00 deposit; I remember I could not do this by phone...I did this about a month before the game ( finally) came out.When clearly it had been released to the general public & people started to get it & play it,I anxiously called my GameStop store ...No, they didn't have it but" anyday now"....A week went by still no game at Gamestop!In order to get one quickly & join the throngs of other happily insane FB addicts I ordered a copy from EB games over the internet ,then drove to the Gamestop store to cancel my order & make sure I got my money back( they still didn't have a copy of the game & oh, by the way , had no idea what the Forgotten Battles game even was-apparently mosly interested in X-Box stuff...)I then remembered at Northgate Mall( here in Seattle) there was an EB game store just across the street from where I was. I trotted over there & guess what? A shelf full of Forgotten Battles!!! What did I do- knowing I had a copy already ordered & probably shipped from EBGames mailorder which would probably arrive in a day or two? I did what most of you would do- I bought a copy then & there (" A bird in the hand etc...")and went off to waste the rest of the work day loading the game & trying to get the thing to fly right.Later ,when the other game copy arrived ,I quickly decided it could be a future Christmas gift for my best friend...End of story( except it will be a cold rainy day in Seattle before I ever order or go back to GameStop- as I recall 2 weeks after general release they still hadn't gotten any copies!!!)
This time? Well thanks to your gracious council I phoned my local EBGame store & asked them to reserve me a copy whenit came in & they said "No Problemo,Dude!" Thats cool! Now I may have to wait a day or two longer than some early bird somewhere but seeing as how I have yet to start any Russian pilot campaigns or finished all of the various German campaigns possible ( or Brit or Yank or Japanese,) nor done all the various Single missions ( including Swiss,Hungarian & Italian)downloaded from Netwings,and various other download sites, ( somebody do the math on the zillion permanations of this number of missions & multiply by 20 minutes each to figure the time I can waste between now & then..)I think I have enough to do without too much anxiety..
I remember the value of taking a deep breath& being calm while awaiting great reward whenever I say this prayer:: "God ,please give me the patience to wait & please dear Lord give it to me right now!"

rjb1fgc
10-16-2004, 08:00 PM
It's probably better for the economic success of the game to be patient and pick it up at retail. The department managers at retail locations or more likely their bosses in the "home office" make their decisions as to how much shelf space to devote to an item by how many "cross the scanner". If we want Oleg to have "significant" pre-orders from the "Big Box" retailers to help him with $ for further development, we should purchase there as a matter of course. ( Even though it sticks in my craw to buy much of ANYTHING from those buzzards. Yes, this is Wally-World country where I live. ) Especially for a niche product like a flite sim. We need all the "scanner counts" we can get.

Jagdgeschwader2
10-16-2004, 08:38 PM
After reading all the posts here
everyday and seeing all those juicy
screenshots I finally ended up pre-
ordering from Amazon.com. The last
time I pre-ordered from UBI and it
took two weeks. Hopefully Amazon
will ship faster than UBI. I guess
anticipation got the best of me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

http://home.earthlink.net/~jagdgeschwader26/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/jagdgeschwader2s.jpg