PDA

View Full Version : The Brotherhood is coming to PC! Now let's talk DRM

zombywoof83
02-14-2011, 11:23 PM
(for an added layer of pretentiousness, I'll write this in the form of a letter)

Dear Ubisoft,

As someone who games mostly on the PC (I do own consoles, but I like the benefits of PC gaming), I appreciate you giving the platform some of your best titles. With Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, you've made an effort to convince the PC community that it will be worth the wait. With a release date, and some promises of great visuals, 3D support, and DLC added to the game for $50 US (when AC2 was $60), you are certainly trying to send the message that you care about the platform.

But then the PC community hears about the DRM. That DRM. And it seems Brotherhood will have it.

Let me first say for the record: this DRM doesn't give ME any problems...currently. I have a good internet connection. But there was a time I didn't. But these day, it's no problem to stay online.

But it's not about me. It's about that 5% who were without Assassin's Creed 2 when your servers got that DoS attack. It's about people in specific situations that don't provide internet at all times (such as the military). It's about people with weak internet that goes out once in a while, but it's not bad enough to be replaced. PC gamers fall into these categories as well.

Another thing I want to point out is this: I get why companies want to use copy-protection. You have the right to keep your product safe from pirates. Piracy is a big issue (on ALL platforms, not just PC).

But lets look at this from the perspective of a customer. A gamer like playing on the PC. He is looking forward to playing Assassin's Creed 2 in 1080p and maxed-out visuals, with those gorgeous visuals Ubisoft's artist spent so much time on. But he's not confident in his internet connection. But a hacker has created a copy that doesn't force you to be on the internet...

There's always one reason why downloading a pirated copy of a game can be seen as good: it's free. When a company adds a DRM- one that puts the customer in an uncomfortable position- they're basically adding yet another reason to pirate it. I'm against piracy of all kinds, and I've never pirated a game before. But to have a firm grasp on the situation, you really need to look at both sides. You need to understand that, when you include this kind of DRM, you may think you're protecting your game and delaying piracy. This can be true, if the DRM holds. But if it's hacked, you're actually encouraging people to pirate.

So you want to protect your game. As stated before, I get that. I think you should. But there are ways to do so, without hurting the customers. Take Batman: Arkham Asylum as an example. The developers worked in a trick, where an illegitimate copy of the game will become unplayable at a certain point. Now I don't know how long this kept pirates at bay (pun not intended), but it works the completely opposite way that I mentioned above: it hurts the pirates, but not the customers.

Now that I think about it, I believe you have done this before. Assassin's Creed had such a anti-piracy feature. Unfortunately, the game was pirated quite early, so it didn't matter in the long run. But it wasn't the gamers' fault that the leak happened, is it? So why do you insist on putting us in an awkward position?

Obviously, you (Ubisoft) know more about copy-protection than I do. Maybe there is something else about that Assassin's Creed PC situation that I'm not aware of.

But one thing I do want to make clear, though: I simply cannot support a company that treats any part of their consumer base as an obligation, rather than a group you want to shop with. That's the impression you send. And that impression will hurt your reputation. It already has, actually. Check the aggregated reviews for Assassin's Creed 2. The PC version is significantly lower than its console brethren. They're the exact same game, but with one difference...

As long as you keep going down this route, I can no longer support you, Ubisoft. It sucks for me to say that, because I'm a big fan of several of your franchises (Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, Assassin's Creed, and Beyond Good & Evil). But it doesn't seem like you really want me as a customer. If that's the case, I won't buy your games anymore (and no, I won't pirate them either). And I can assure you, I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Gaming is a luxury, not a necessity. Keep that in mind. It's pretty easy to choose not to buy something. If it turns out that Brotherhood gets released without this DRM, I'll definitely buy it. You have my word (heck, you've given me every other reason to do so!). I like supporting the developers that make great games. But I have principles, and I feel it's much more important to support my fellow gamers.

Sincerely,

Former Ubi Fan That Likes To Write Long-Winded Posts That Usually Fall On Deaf Ears

PS: Thanks to all who actually bothered to read all of this.

ThaWhistle
02-14-2011, 11:40 PM
itd be nice for a full explanation of how hte DRM works with ACB as it seems to vary for alot of Ubi games now.

dylan1lk
02-15-2011, 12:14 AM
Pirate is just one reason for Ubisoft to add DRM, second-hand market(heck, it is ligimate) is the other. Today many companies like Sony, THQ want to eliminate the second-hand market, becasuse companies get no money from it.

Ass4ssin8me
02-15-2011, 04:12 AM
They probably, save more money beating pirates, than any customers they may or mey not lose.

However, when it comes to Piracy, some companies overreact. Most pirates only pirate things they wouldn't buy in the first place.
Some people even pirate, as a Demo, type thing and then buy the game later to support the company. Don't ask me where I'm going with this... Infact what I wrote was pointless as the botton li.ne is piracy is bad -_-

Razrback16
02-15-2011, 04:54 AM
I will say this -- like the OP, I personally have only been affected twice when the Ubisoft servers took a crap for the better part of a day each time it happened. The bottom line though is that no company will EVER stop piracy. Period. The XBOX version of Brotherhood was pirated within 48 hours of release. The PC version will also be pirated easily within a week of release. The people who decide they are determined enough to figure out how to crack the game and pirate it, will pirate it. Those of us who are going to pay for the game legitimately are going to pay for the game legitimately. When companies add customer-unfriendly DRM like this, it just discourages portions of their customer base from purchasing their games in the future. Those of us who are diehard fans of the franchise will continue to stay plugged in, but those who are right on the fringe of caring may decide to check out and not buy the game simply because the DRM is so unfriendly.

Murcuseo
02-15-2011, 05:28 AM
That didn't take long...

Black_Widow9
02-15-2011, 03:10 PM
There is already a Topic to this effect here-
Formal Petition against Ubisoft's actions RE:Online DRM (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/5491047838/p/1)
Please voice you concern there.
Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

<span class="ev_code_RED">Topic Closed</span>