PDA

View Full Version : Xpost: possible to optain IL2Skins.com archive on CD/DVD ?

e5kimo
01-19-2005, 05:24 PM
i am not sure what the fate of il2skins is. like many others i have taken it for granted for too long by the looks.

i d be very happy to be able to purchase the complete skin archive on CD. i know that there are a lot of people who have created skins and made them available through il2skins so it is probably a copyright issue of sorts to sell them for profit. it be great to just have the complete site mirrored and usable on cd/dvd. it would leave all credit in place.

if a complete archive is not possible for purchase, how about a massive download of all skins through bittorrent ? afterall most skin artists have submitted their work to the public domain for free use as long as credit is given.

i am sure that isps, if asked, would happily host files. i know for a fact that mine (internode) caters to gamers and i reckon if they can mirror the steam content servers they can also host some gig of skins.

ps: hope cross posting is allowed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

civildog
01-19-2005, 06:45 PM
I second that emotion. (with apologies to Smokey Robinson)

-HH- Beebop
01-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Although Sharx has indicated that he will get il2skins up again soon if for some reason it doesn't happen this is a great idea. I for one would be willing to pay for a CD/DVD full of skins. Heck a DVD would be better, at least for those of us with DVD players. 15 Gig of skins (approximately) would equal 3 DVD's or 25 CD-R's. The only drawback is getting the new skins.
But hey, If Sharx made these skins availalbe on DVD/CD-R anyway, the cost could go to support an il-2skins site after he gets it up and running again. It would free up bandwidth and he could start fresh so to speak.

Just thinking out loud and trying to be "outside the box".

e5kimo
01-19-2005, 08:16 PM
does anyone know at all how big il2skins was (in terms of MB/GB) ?

FatBoyHK
01-19-2005, 08:44 PM
there was a suggestion some months ago in thos forum, that every sponsors who donated a certain amount of money to IL2Skins would get a set of DVDs full of skins. I suppoort this idea.

WUAF_Badsight
01-19-2005, 08:47 PM
before il2skins went down , it had passed 17,500 uploaded files

many of the uploads had 2 skins included

many had even more than that

wayno7777
01-19-2005, 08:52 PM
I had just started my fourth cd of skin backups, and I was 26 pages behind. Of course I also had utilities and missions on them. Oh, I forgot, my burning prog allows me to double the capacity of the cd-r's to 1.36 gigs.

WUAF_Badsight
01-19-2005, 08:56 PM
4 CD's . . . pfffft

i got 12 gig here m8 & i sent my last back-up lot (7 gig) to a FB player in the US cause he had a HD meltdown , so as of the moment , i got zilch backed-up

after about 10 re-installs , this paintscheme folder has never been off my HD

e5kimo
01-19-2005, 09:05 PM
ever thought of making a 'best of' zip and put it on bittorent ?

wayno7777
01-19-2005, 09:11 PM
Dial-up is slow. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif