PDA

View Full Version : Selection of Ammunition

Afromike1
06-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Whenever I spectate someone in a server, just during when they are about to get a kill (even trying a fluke shot) skilled pilots always use both the machine guns AND cannons at the same time. I am fairly new, been playing the 109s most of the time, so I always thought the machine gun was to be used for spamming to get those lucky shots when the bandit is hard to get. And the cannons were to be used when you have a clear shot of the bandit and it would be hard to miss. Since the ammunition for cannons is a lot less why do people usually use both of them at the same time? What do you guys choose to use?

VW-IceFire
06-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Why use both at the same time? Well I tend to only fire when I know I have a reasonable chance at making a shot and usually the window for making said shot is quite short...so when I fire...its all guns. My philosophy is to strike hard with the first blow and never give the enemy a chance to respond.

But if you don't have enough experience then this does mean allot of wasted shots.

Afromike1
06-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Why use both at the same time? Well I tend to only fire when I know I have a reasonable chance at making a shot and usually the window for making said shot is quite short...so when I fire...its all guns. My philosophy is to strike hard with the first blow and never give the enemy a chance to respond.

But if you don't have enough experience then this does mean allot of wasted shots.

So are you playing for the short-term fight? because at that rate your cannons would run out pretty fast and IMO machine guns dont do much for me.

Choctaw111
06-23-2008, 08:43 PM
As Icefire has said, when you are more familiar with gunnery, you will only fire when you are fairly certain your shots will hit. With that being the case, you want to hit your target with everything you have, both machine guns and cannon for as much hitting power as possible.

Choctaw111
06-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Afromike1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:

So are you playing for the short-term fight? because at that rate your cannons would run out pretty fast and IMO machine guns dont do much for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may be flying an online sortie for nearly an hour, but you only have a few seconds of firing time. That is just the way it is.
If you are really good at gunnery and dogfighting, that may be enough for several engagements. If you expend all your ammo and only manage to shoot down one bandit, that is good also. Head back to base, land, and head back up again. You've done well.

TinyTim
06-24-2008, 03:02 AM
As with many discussions on these boards, very important question has to be considered: do you fly on servers with external views enabled?

If externals are enabled, then the enemy will almost surely see you attacking and will try to evade your attack, even if you attack from low 6. On a FR server, many people don't see their attacker, much like in real life. It is in your interest to strike him hard with your first hit so that you minimize their chances of surviving and fighting back.

Ronbo3
06-24-2008, 03:12 AM
Use the MGs for determining the lead, then use cannon and mgs to hit target. I believe this was the mindset on these types of loadouts. IE, ME109, Zero.

K_Freddie
06-24-2008, 05:25 AM
Doesn't always work that way as cannon muzzle velocities are lower. This would not work to well with high deflection shots, but with a bit of experience one can get around this.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Airmail109
06-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Afromike1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:

So are you playing for the short-term fight? because at that rate your cannons would run out pretty fast and IMO machine guns dont do much for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once your gunnery skills are at top end levels http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif you can take short half second bursts with cannons at high deflection angles and make them count sawing off wings etc

Xiolablu3
06-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Choctaw111:
As Icefire has said, when you are more familiar with gunnery, you will only fire when you are fairly certain your shots will hit. With that being the case, you want to hit your target with everything you have, both machine guns and cannon for as much hitting power as possible.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif