PDA

View Full Version : need advice for convergance when flying P51

GUARD4000
12-25-2004, 03:12 PM
today i played on Warcloud and managed to get 45 hit on 2 109,but the both 109 looked like not get damaged,turned well,climbed well and were still quite fast.I think this must have something to do with my MG convergance.I set it at 200m and it seems work not well.So can some experts give me some advice? or my convergance is ok,i just had a real bad luck? or the DM has changed in version 3.03?

OldMan____
12-25-2004, 03:49 PM
is that 45 nuber got from gunstat?

supossing you really hitted 45 bullets.. about 22 in each one.

That may make your taregt look unscrathed..but do not underestimate how a 109 is easily damaged without showing it.

About conv. Just set it at the distance you feel safe shooting at.

I shoot best at 300 meters.. so my conv is at 350 just to keep a little bigger area of effect.

VF-29_Sandman
12-25-2004, 04:27 PM
304 meters is at a 1000 foot (give take a foot) convergance. that's still a hell of a long shot for any hmg

Tully__
12-25-2004, 05:51 PM
Convergence set at 250m will give reasonably concentrated fire from about 175m out to 325m, with best concentration at 250.

Set at 200, you'll get reasonable concentration of fire from about 150 - 250m. The closer you set it, the less "depth" you'll get, the further you set it, the harder it will be to hit at convergence range. You need to find a compromise that suits your gunnery skills and shooting ranges.

VW-IceFire
12-25-2004, 06:36 PM
I always, with the .50cal, just press the DEL key and watch the tracers as they hit the target. If there are alot of flashes and I can see damage then I know whats going on.

If I see a few flashes I can guess (or see) that the tracers are not hitting much on the target at all.

HansHaupt
12-25-2004, 07:56 PM
Hi

My best results were when using convergence 180m/200m. Shoot ONLY when the wingtips of the target fills exatly the entire gunsight circle.This is a good reference if u want to try those.

But errr im a 109 guy, used to single cannon gunnery wich gets the best results when shooting from close, as close as possible... so i guess its just a matter of taste/pratice.

Anyway i would suggest u to get used and shoot as close as possible. Better effectiveness, no more than 200m.

Good luck.

1/4GAv_Haupt
Pacau Brazilian Squadron

LeadSpitter_
12-25-2004, 11:08 PM
online you need 200 or under. Offline 300-500 is fine.

RL Pilots manual says 274m is best recommended convergence.

FatBoyHK
12-26-2004, 02:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GUARD4000:
today i played on Warcloud and managed to get 45 hit on 2 109,but the both 109 looked like not get damaged,turned well,climbed well and were still quite fast.I think this must have something to do with my MG convergance.I set it at 200m and it seems work not well.So can some experts give me some advice? or my convergance is ok,i just had a real bad luck? or the DM has changed in version 3.03? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is actually very common online, 0.5 seem to be a bit weak... but even there is no visible damage, in most case he won't be a threat anymore.... of course sometimes he can still fight on as good as new, but I think he is just lucky, sometimes I get my share of luck too, manage to RTB after 2 30mm hits http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

and since you have actually hit your target, convergance shouldn't be the factor to be blamed.

OldMan____
12-26-2004, 03:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VF-29_Sandman:
304 meters is at a 1000 foot (give take a foot) convergance. that's still a hell of a long shot for any hmg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well.. for me less than 200 meters is too close. wont take the time to get such close when I can hit at 300 meters down to 200.

Ok.. in the .50 HMg you will loose a bit of firepower since is a pure kynetic weapon. But 6 of them at 30 meters will kill a bf109... ambe a FW190 needs 200 meters

GUARD4000
12-26-2004, 03:57 AM
thanks for the replies.now i think the convergance set at 200m shouldnt be blamed,the 2 109 were just lucky.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HansHaupt:
Hi

My best results were when using convergence 180m/200m. Shoot ONLY when the wingtips of the target fills exatly the entire gunsight circle.This is a good reference if u want to try those.

But errr im a 109 guy, used to single cannon gunnery wich gets the best results when shooting from close, as close as possible... so i guess its just a matter of taste/pratice.

Anyway i would suggest u to get used and shoot as close as possible. Better effectiveness, no more than 200m.

Good luck.

1/4GAv_Haupt
Pacau Brazilian Squadron <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there a big difference between 180m and 200m?
I know that 180m is more or less 200 yard,and americans dont use meter but yard.So is 180m better than 200m,because it maybe suit the gunsight better?

HansHaupt
12-26-2004, 11:20 AM
Hi Guard.

Sorry, i dont know about coverting yards to meters.

Se ur convergence to 200m and only open fire when the enemy fighter fills exatly the gunsight circle. Its a good distance (under 300m for better effectiveness) and works well with the gunsight for reference.

By using 180 and same reference u will get a little sprayed burst but not much as if using convergence 300 and shooting from same range http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ah, im talking about good setup for online game since i dont fly offline.
The price for using very short convergence is that u dont have much time to shoot them when doing a BnZ pass 600Km/h and sometimes a snapshot is not enouth with 6x.50MGs (thats why i fly jugs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) + so when on this situation u kick a little bit of rudder before u get the target to the reference and open fire so u will still be able to hit him with half guns till he gets to the reference... hmmm but... hmm.. it happens in 1 second and half http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

1/4GAv_Haupt
Pacau Brazilian Squadron

oldschool1992
12-26-2004, 06:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GUARD4000:
today i played on Warcloud and managed to get 45 hit on 2 109,but the both 109 looked like not get damaged,turned well,climbed well and were still quite fast.I think this must have something to do with my MG convergance.I set it at 200m and it seems work not well.So can some experts give me some advice? or my convergance is ok,i just had a real bad luck? or the DM has changed in version 3.03? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the 50's are under modeled slightly if you ask me they perform like 22 cals

TgD Thunderbolt56
12-26-2004, 10:24 PM
I leave everything at 300m except for Il2 cannon and Stuka G-1 cannon. I set them to 500m.

TB

WOLFMondo
12-27-2004, 02:28 AM
175m for early war or 250m late war for air to air and 500m for ground attack whatever the plane im in. Works good for 1 pass kills.

Enofinu
12-27-2004, 02:55 AM
.50cals still undermodelled?

have you guys used CANNON?? try german 20mm cannon
and tell if it feels undermodelled.
still you wonder why ppl uses 30mm cannon against fighter, because, with 20mm you cant get em down.

i would like to have option on 109 and 190 where i can take cannons off, all of em, and use only heavy machineguns. cannons in this game are deep from brown hole.

Friendly_flyer
12-27-2004, 03:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
I know that 180m is more or less 200 yard,and americans dont use meter but yard.So is 180m better than 200m,because it maybe suit the gunsight better? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really. The difference between 180 meters and 200 meters is 10%. Considering that there are more than 10% different wingspan between various planes, that visible length is affected by angle of approach etc, the difference between 180 and 200 meters is of little significance. As Tully said, you got about window of about 100 yards around your setting with reasonable concentration of fire. 10 yards to or fro doesn’t matter much.

Regarding shooting distance, remember that the solid slugs of the .50 calibres rely solely on kinetic energy to do damage. This means that the damage drops rapidly with distance, as air resistance slows the bullets down. Cannon shells using chemical energy for making damage, can be effective on much longer ranges.

Summa sumarum: Shoot when the bugger fills the sight! This used to be the advice given during the war, and this sim is so amazingly well made that wartime instructions still apply!

cygfrain
12-27-2004, 04:30 AM
Quote "today i played on Warcloud and managed to get 45 hit on 2 109"

Can I ask how you know so precisely how many hits you achieved?

FatBoyHK
12-27-2004, 05:00 AM
type "<gunstat" in the chat box http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

cygfrain
12-27-2004, 05:09 AM
thanks

StellarRat
12-27-2004, 05:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HansHaupt:My best results were when using convergence 180m/200m. Shoot ONLY when the wingtips of the target fills exatly the entire gunsight circle.This is a good reference if u want to try those.

1/4GAv_Haupt
Pacau Brazilian Squadron <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Wingtip to wingtip in the sight is around 100m for most fighters. Why don't you set it lower if that's how close you get?

Bull_dog_
12-27-2004, 06:50 PM
A wise man once told me convergence is not a problem when flying with one wing... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

JG5_UnKle
12-28-2004, 04:59 AM
Also worth noting is that in aircraft with lots of HMG's like the P-47 you can set "Cannon" and "Machinegun" convergence at different values so that half of your guns have a different convergence to the other half.

If you can actually aim properly then you can use some guns for long range "plinking" (500M+) and the others for close range work (<200M).

The .50 cal HMG's are some of the most effective weapons in this sim and you really appreciate them if you fly LW http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

LStarosta
12-28-2004, 10:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FatBoyHK:
type "<gunstat" in the chat box http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I, like real aces, count the holes in the airframe as I do not have time to type things into some "chatbox" in the heat of battle.

JG7_Rall and I always set our convergance to r0xx0rz meters. Fact.

FatBoyHK
12-28-2004, 11:18 AM
LStarosta are you serious? lol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I hope that, one day, a sim will be so highly detailed that I am able to do what you suggested. Oleg, you have a target to meet..

I bet I will take 10 years, because Oleg need to wait until we have the money to buy all the necessary hardware...

JG7_Rall
12-28-2004, 01:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LStarosta:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FatBoyHK:
type "<gunstat" in the chat box http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I, like real aces, count the holes in the airframe as I do not have time to type things into some "chatbox" in the heat of battle.

JG7_Rall and I always set our convergance to r0xx0rz meters. Fact. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup. We mentally keep track of all rounds fired at a target (we can count fast-don't question me) and then count the holes. We quickly do the math in our heads to get an accuracy percentage. It's always 100% though so that parts easy.

FatBoyHK
12-28-2004, 05:40 PM
you guys are insane! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

J_Weaver
12-28-2004, 09:28 PM
150m is what I use. Works good for me. I usually don't fire past 200m. Although I find myself taking longer shot in the PTO than I do in the ETO. With the Japanese planes I'll fire from 250m on in. With German or Russian aircraft I like to get 150m or less.