PDA

View Full Version : Been gone, what to do?

LC34
02-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Been lovin IL2 since day one, but my computer died a year or so ago and life also reared its bad side. Long story short, getting a new rig and will have to redownload patches and profiles for my X45. I have FB,AEP,and PF. Not 46 yet, would i be better off to buy that? Does it have everything w patches?

WTE_Galway
02-17-2011, 10:44 PM
"Everything" official (assuming you do not use mods) is currently:

IL2_1946 (includes FB,AEP,PF,PE2,Manchuria etc etc)
+ 4.08m
+ 4.09m
+ 4.09 optional skin pack
+ 4.10m patch
+ 4.101 fix patch

LC34
02-19-2011, 01:17 AM
Thank you! One other ? Do u guys think i should get rudder pedals or track ir? I never got track ir before because i dont normally sit still, is that a problem for track ir?

M_Gunz
02-19-2011, 03:25 AM
Rudder control is far more essential since 4.x patches. Twisty stick is the least you want, good pedals are far better.

IL2:1946 came out Jan 2007, you have been 'gone' for a while!

RedToo
02-19-2011, 03:44 AM
TrackIR is brilliant, but yes you do need to be farly still as it's monitoring head movements. It adds so much to the game though that it's worth the self discipline IMHO.

RedToo.

Zeus-cat
02-19-2011, 07:02 AM
First of all, I do not have TrackIR, but I play with people who do. I have never had it, never used it, never even seen it. However, the people I play with are always having problems with it. Not a week goes by that one guy or more doesn't have problems with it not working at least once during our squad sessions. It is not always the same guy, so operator error seems unlikely. It just seems to stop or lock up with no warning and for no reason.

I never see people mention the problems with it so I thought I should bring it up.

LC34
02-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Yes I have been out of the loop forever haha. The last thing i rember doing for IL2 was buyine PF. I guess Iwill go the pudal route then as I get "anxious" to say the least one the enemies tail. Since I have a saitek X45 the pedals seem to be the more helpful addon for me. Cannot wait for my new rig to come in to start flying again!

LC34
02-19-2011, 04:51 PM
One more quick question, I will probably be doing a lot of add on MODs to the game. Those Korean ones seem to catch my eye often http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. My hardrive will be pretty small though and I knnow its recommended to have multiple installs of IL2 for MODs. My question is, does a portable HD work ok for this? Never had any experience with one before and dont know if it will be a factor if I install IL2 on my onboard HD and a portable one.

PhantomKira
02-19-2011, 07:05 PM
There is an alternative to TrackIR out there, called FreeTrack (http://www.free-track.net/english/). It's not "free" exactly, but by using a standard web camera and some very basic "do-it-yourself" stuff with infrared sources, etc, it apparently gets roughly the same results for a small fraction of the cost of the name brand stuff. Somewhere along the lines of $30 rather than $150 ($170ish if you go with the additional clip for attaching to headsets rather than the included baseball cap mounting device... and that doesn't include the minimum $50 headset). I have no idea what the capability or glitch rate is for either, but I know that there are some nice Youtube videos out there for TrackIR 4 and 5 to give you an idea as to what such systems do for enhancement of your sim experience. TrackIR is name brand and more likely to work well, I'd guess. On the other hand, FreeTrack is a boatload cheaper and therefore a whole lot less of a problem when it quits on you.

I have neither system, so I can't vouch for either from personal experience. I can, however, from years of flight simming and combat simming, say how often I have wished for the ability to have simulated head movements be smooth and not confined to specific, very limited sectors, such as one gets when using the keyboard to look around. Using the mouse is an option, but then it's not available for aiming, and you have to switch back and forth. A real nuisance.

Personally, I'd go with some sort of head tracking first, before rudder pedals. (Remember, there is an auto rudder option, though it will restrict your maneuvering options considerably as you'll always be in coordinated flight.) I can't tell you the number of times I could have saved my virtual self if I'd just been able to see what was going on just beyond the edge of the screen. It's a doggone nuisance to feel like your virtual head is restricted like wearing a medical neck brace. It also adds unbelievably to the immersion level, when you can look around naturally and smoothly, instead of in predetermined blocky bits.

Crash_Moses
02-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by LC34:
One more quick question, I will probably be doing a lot of add on MODs to the game. Those Korean ones seem to catch my eye often http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. My hardrive will be pretty small though and I knnow its recommended to have multiple installs of IL2 for MODs. My question is, does a portable HD work ok for this? Never had any experience with one before and dont know if it will be a factor if I install IL2 on my onboard HD and a portable one.

A portable hard drive will work fine. I've even ran it from a thumb drive with no problems at all. Also, there are no registry entries per se so you don't need to reinstall it for each device. Just cut and paste the game folder in whatever directory you like.

M_Gunz
02-19-2011, 09:35 PM
There is Cachya (http://www.cachya.com/esight/overview.php) as well as Freetrack. Difference is that Cachya does not need a self-illuminating hat, just a UFO-looking print-out 'head sign'.

WTE_Galway
02-19-2011, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
First of all, I do not have TrackIR, but I play with people who do. I have never had it, never used it, never even seen it. However, the people I play with are always having problems with it. Not a week goes by that one guy or more doesn't have problems with it not working at least once during our squad sessions. It is not always the same guy, so operator error seems unlikely. It just seems to stop or lock up with no warning and for no reason.

I never see people mention the problems with it so I thought I should bring it up.

The most common reason for Track_IR locking is the game is taking too many CPU cycles and track_IR does not get a look in. Ironically this means the track_IR will often lock at the worst possible time in the middle of a crazy dogfight (the CPU load caused by multiple planes shooting and tracer everywhere kills the track_IR temporarily). There is nothing much to be done about this on single core processors but on dual/quad cores allocating track_IR and IL2 to different cores will usually prevent this issue.

A second less likely cause is a light source in the background (winow, fireplace etc) that gets confused with the reflectors.

K_Freddie
02-22-2011, 02:58 PM
I can never use TIR, Freetrack.. etc as I cannot sit still when I'm 'bouncing' around the sky. I 'have' to move with my stick and rudder movements and found that my 'reference' goes for a wobbly.

I don't know if you watched that 'near-submersible' with Matt Hall at the Toronto Red Bull, I think it was, where he essentially said that broke one of his cardinal rules of looking into the turn.

I find this point exact when flying on the edge in the game as when you lose your reference point (looking straight ahead) you can easily put the a/c into a stall - TIR, etc.. stuffs up reference points for me.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif