PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia GeForce GTX 295 with IL2 Sturmovik 1946

sdreagan
02-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Has anyone used this video card with IL2? If so how'd it go? Does the game support SLI?
Bonz

Bearcat99
02-08-2009, 10:12 PM
The sim should fly with this card.. no pun intended.. remember that this engine is over 10 years old.. When I forst got here I had a R9000 128.

der-blaue-max
02-09-2009, 12:09 AM
I use a 260gx and for IL-2 its the same like my old 7800gt.......

Chris0382
02-09-2009, 05:50 AM
Its an overkill and dont expect it to cure the stuttering. This is an older game and new cards sometimes are not built for older games. But this card should be more than adequat.

AstroCat
02-09-2009, 06:49 AM
I got the 285 not 295 and it works very well with IL2.

sdreagan
02-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks for answering... I asked the question because I'm considering this card for use with CFS3/OFF Phase 3 Between Heaven and Hell. I don't want to go in a direction that will hurt IL2. The stuttering problem has been minimized in OFF by adjusting my in game settings... Terrain from 4 to 3. I've never had the stuttering problem with IL2 Sturmovik 1946.
Thanks, Bonz.

stelr
02-09-2009, 06:46 PM
One comment on the Nvidia 2XX series. If you have Vista x64 like I do, (I have the Nvidia 280), there is a known driver conflict that causes results in the screen to go black, sound continues to loop, and generally the computer is frozen until you manually reboot.

An error message saying "the driver nvlddmkm had failed and successfully restarted" but after your game has crashed.

Very annoying.

I used to be an ATI user exclusively, but went with Nvidia this time since IL2 is supposed to be more Nvidia friendly. Just not Vista x64 friendly I guess.

I just hope there is a fix coming soon. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

RAF_OldBuzzard
02-10-2009, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by stelr:... I just hope there is a fix coming soon. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Don't hold your breath. Also, that problem isn't exclusive to nVidia. The ATI version is "Display driver atikmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered".

There are a number of cures/workarounds that seem to work, but they are hit or miss. What 'cures' the problem for me, may not cure it for you. Nor will your 'cure' fix my problem. It's really a frustrating issue.

There is a thread on the Driverheaven Forums on this problem that was started in MARCH 2007, and there is no universal cure in sight. Mostly because it really isn't a problem with either the nVidia or ATI cards, nor their drivers. The problem is somewhere deep within the bowels of Vista.

In the grand scheme of things, those of us that have that issue are really a very small minority. Which is one reason unfortunately, that MS hasn't bothered to fix it. I'll also note that I have found that it has 'carried over' to Windows 7, and I have the same problem with TDR's in Win 7 that I have in Vista. Fortunately for me, the 'fix' that I use in Vista also works in Windows 7, so I don't get the TDR crashes in either OS now.

dirkpit7
02-10-2009, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by stelr:
One comment on the Nvidia 2XX series. If you have Vista x64 like I do, (I have the Nvidia 280), there is a known driver conflict that causes results in the screen to go black, sound continues to loop, and generally the computer is frozen until you manually reboot.

An error message saying "the driver nvlddmkm had failed and successfully restarted" but after your game has crashed.

Very annoying.

I used to be an ATI user exclusively, but went with Nvidia this time since IL2 is supposed to be more Nvidia friendly. Just not Vista x64 friendly I guess.

I just hope there is a fix coming soon. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

I have the same problem, but don't actually have to reboot. Try to open the task manager (with Ctrl+Alt+Del) and shut down Il-2 (using keyboard if mouse doesn't work). When I do that the computer recovers.

But yes, it's still very annoying issue.

Tiberius01
02-10-2009, 02:37 AM
Just out of curiosity RAF_OldBuzzard, what workaround has been successful for you? I recently got a new computer with vista 64bit and a nvidia gtx 280. Thus far, I have been unable to resolve this issue. Like dirkpit7, I usually just ctrl+alt+del, close Il2 (with keyboard if mouse is disabled), and load it back up.

RAF_OldBuzzard
02-10-2009, 03:47 AM
As odd as it seems, it involves changing BOOT parameters:

msconfig/boot fix:
1. Run MSCONFIG in a command prompt.
2. Click the BOOT tab
3. Click on ADVANCED options.
4. Put a CHECK in "Number of Processors", and then select the number of processors your system has. 1 for a single, 2 for a dual core, 4 for a quad.
5. Put a CHECK in "Maximum memory".
6. Click OK, Click APPLY, and re-boot when prompted.

A number of folks have also said that they need to turn off the AERO interface as well. I didn't have to do that.

Like I said, this works for me and a lot of other people, but it doesn't work for everyone. Just so you know, I have a Sapphire 3870 X2.

Tiberius01
02-10-2009, 05:53 AM
Ah alright. Thanks for the reply.

mortoma
02-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Chris0382:
Its an overkill and dont expect it to cure the stuttering. This is an older game and new cards sometimes are not built for older games. But this card should be more than adequat. Correct, with IL2 most stuttering is not a processor or video graphics problem but a sound problem. If I fly over a big city without sound on, I get maybe some stutter but when all the AAA and stuff kicks in, with the sound on it's the sound that overwhelms the system. Trying to produce many multiple sounds at once is a problem for IL2 code.