PDA

View Full Version : More RTS.DLL trouble

airflyte
04-25-2005, 11:05 AM
About 2 weeks ago I purchased Pacific Fighters which I installed as stand alone. I had a hell of a time getting the game to start but I finally resolved the bug by using the rts.dll fix.

A few days ago I purchased FB AEP Gold. I wanted a merged installation, so I uninstalled PF. Then, I installed the Gold Pack, followed by PF (merged installation). I then patched PF using the correct merged patches.

Once again, I couldn't start the game (the same error message "can't find cd"). So, I tried replacing the rts.dll but this time, it didn't work. Nothing happens, not even an error message.

I uninstalled and reinstalled everything, to no avail.

The instructions in the knowledge base say to put the rts.dll in the Pacific fighters folder. The only problem is, there is no Pacific Fighters folder in the merged installation.

When I emailed Ubisoft all I got was a canned response with a link to the rts file. I'm appalled that a game was released in this state. How do I get FB-AEP-PF to start?

I'd search for the answer, but the search engine doesn't work for this forum.

T_O_A_D
04-25-2005, 11:13 AM
In the merged install you place the rts.dll in the IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles folder instead of the Pacific Fighters one.

Hope that helps

airflyte
04-25-2005, 11:19 AM
Thanks, but I tried that. When I try to start the game, nothing happens.

T_O_A_D
04-25-2005, 12:36 PM
Wich disc do you have in your CDrom?

Pacific Fighters Disc #2 for regular stand alone PF

and

Forgotten Battles disc #1 for Merged install

steve_v
04-25-2005, 12:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by airflyte:
I'm appalled that a game was released in this state. How do I get FB-AEP-PF to start?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The game was not released in this state. The errors you and a few others are having only began late in November. However, I guess throwing a few toys from the pram makes it seem like real television drama. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

As toad said, place the file into your FB directory and let the new file over-write the existing file. The default install location is:
C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles
The corrected file can be gotten here: Ubisoft Solution Center (http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ubisoft.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=10061&p_created=1099077749&p_sid=3_uGGxsh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9ncmlkc29yd D0mcF9yb3dfY250PTQmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1zZWFyY2hfbmw mcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9ODgmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDI9MTEyOCZwX2Nhd F9sdmwxPSZwX2NhdF9sdmwyPSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=)
And complete information on patching sequence and more at airwarfare
http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/patching.htm

Recheck that you have gotten the correct patches. If you have done all of the above and are unable to launch the merged install, post your dxdiag in community help. It may be something as simple as an IDE driver.

toad, I lauch my merged install off PF disc 2.

http://home.earthlink.net/~viner45/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/pf.jpg

CAPT_COTTON
04-25-2005, 01:27 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

Please don't make another post like the one I just deleted. Parts of it violate the forum terms of use you accepted when joining and leaves me very limited options. Thanks for your cooperation.

airflyte
04-27-2005, 09:04 AM
Still unable to start the game. I replaced the rts.dll file as per ubisoft. Now, all I get is a brief hourglass, then nothing happens. I sent dxdiag to support. They suggested updating the video driver, which didn't help.

Before I bought the Gold Pack, I had PF running as stand alone. I think there may be some remnant of that install which is blocking the merged programs from running (but that's only my guess). I tried uninstalling and cleaning the registry, then reinstalling.

Everytime, I get the same result. Short of reformatting my hard drive, I don't know what else I can try. I'm going to check Asus and see if there are updated IDE drivers as Steve suggested.

gbollin
04-27-2005, 12:44 PM
Are you trying to launch the game with the new.exe icon? If you are it does not work with
patch 3.04. You have to use the pf+fb+aep
icon.

airflyte
04-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by gbollin:
Are you trying to launch the game with the new.exe icon? If you are it does not work with
patch 3.04. You have to use the pf+fb+aep
icon.

I've tried it every way I can imagine. None of the icons work, nor will it start from the cd(s).

For some reason my computer won't start the game if I install it merged. I had to install PF as stand alone. I still had to replace the rts.dll but it works.

I was trying to get the merged install to work so I could try it out online. There's just something about my computer/OS that won't allow a merged install.

gbollin
04-28-2005, 02:35 PM
Did you receive any error messages from any of the three FB gold pack discs? Maybe you might
have a bad disc.

airflyte
04-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by gbollin:
Did you receive any error messages from any of the three FB gold pack discs? Maybe you might
have a bad disc.

I didn't get any error messages when I installed Gold. The odd thing is, it never asks for the third disk. I just assumed that the third disk contained something I didn't require (directX).

stansdds
04-29-2005, 04:00 PM
In the Gold pack there are 3 CD's. Discs 1 and 2 are IL2 Forgotten Battles. Disc 3 is the Aces Expansion Pack. If you don't install the 3rd disc you cannot properly perform a merged install of Pacific Fighters. I suggest you completely uninstall what you have, then delete the folders, and I found defragmenting the HD before starting the install makes things work better.

Install Forgotten Battles, make sure it works, then put that third CD in and run its install function. Make sure the IL2-FB-AEP install works, then do the merged install of PF.

Oh, and if you are already running DirectX 9.0, then just skip the installation of DirectX 8.0 that comes with FB and AEP.

airflyte
04-29-2005, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by stansdds:
In the Gold pack there are 3 CD's. Discs 1 and 2 are IL2 Forgotten Battles. Disc 3 is the Aces Expansion Pack. If you don't install the 3rd disc you cannot properly perform a merged install of Pacific Fighters. I suggest you completely uninstall what you have, then delete the folders, and I found defragmenting the HD before starting the install makes things work better.

Install Forgotten Battles, make sure it works, then put that third CD in and run its install function. Make sure the IL2-FB-AEP install works, then do the merged install of PF.

Oh, and if you are already running DirectX 9.0, then just skip the installation of DirectX 8.0 that comes with FB and AEP.

That was it. Thanks! I guess I'm as dumb as I look.

stansdds
04-30-2005, 06:07 AM
Well, it's not exactly in the instructions.... I don't think..... but I don't read instructions. I'm a man, I was born with a wealth of knowledge, I don't need no stinking instructions! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

optimus_213
05-04-2005, 04:00 PM
i know this is old thread but it just helped me out just bought pf and merged with the rest didnt work till i read this thanks guys and i also use pf disc 2 to launch optimus_213